The Virgin (Valentine 2012)

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

"So delicate and desirable, sweet and innocent. The slightest kiss of clove mingles with honeyed cakes but on the light note of virtue. Nothing strong or harsh or heavy about this. Beautiful enough to attract unicorns."

In the bottle, I get an amazing honeyed clove and something else I can't quite put my finger on. (Must be the virtue. I've always had a hard time putting my finger on that.) :-D

Wet on my skin, I get the clove that I absolutely adore in Gypsy Grave, and it is definitely riding side-by-side with the honeyed cakes. For me, those honeyed cakes are not big, iced, dense frosted beings, but rather more like kissing cousins to the Hot Cross Buns (as in without Hot Cross Buns' yeast, currants, citron, or frosting)--almost air light, but utterly delectable and begging to have teeth sunk into them. There's a sweetness to this, as the clove lends sweetness and so does honey, but it's not the kind that makes your teeth fall out at first whiff. It's a softer, more delicate sweetness--like licking a small bit of honey off the corner of your darling's lips.

There is absolutely nothing cloying or heavy about this one. It is as mentioned: delicate and sweet. (And the honey, for me, is one of the lighter touches of honey once it dries down.) However, the clove adds enough zip to this that I'm thinking the Virgin may technically be pure, but she is thinking some naughty thoughts.

I think one of the reasons I like this one is that it gives me clove, which is normally an autumnal scent, but it's wrapped so delicately that I feel like I could wear this in any season. The clove would be warm enough for fall and winter, but the blend is so light and pretty that it could easily be worn in spring and possibly even on the right days in summer.

So far, this is my favorite of the Valentine's scents I've tried. Surprisingly so. I cannot stop sniffing this one, and I like it so much I'm tempted to order the larger bottle.

Edited to add that, when the scent is further from my nose, I get a smidge of silver carnations from this one. Probably because carnations and cloves run hand in hand, and partly because of the soft honey from this. However, I do not get any of the green or other notes that silver carnations has. This one definitely has more of the cake accord--although that cake is more of a crepe than a cake, to me.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Thank you, Maya! I was trying to decide my next order, and this one is on the list! Great review!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I hope she's as good to you as she was to me. *Fingers crossed
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

Maya I'm pretty sure you need to be a writer, because you've got a way with words :) Nothing could have made me want to order this scent because of the honey note which amps on me and often turns to a wretched urine smell but I'm so tempted to buy this based on your review. Is the honey strong or light?
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

Now I have a dilemma because I would never have ordered this as I generally don't do foody or honey, but this doesn't sound cloying or too sweet and I love the Gypsy Grave clove...hmmm.....crepes over cake, Maya you might just have convinced me!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

@tarayvonne I'm working on the writer part. *Keeps fingers crossed. Thank you for your lovely words. :) As far as the honey being strong or light...it comes across different to me than the ones in the Girls Love series, but I can't decide if it's because the cake mellows it or if the clove cracks the whip and keeps this one under control. It doesn't seem quite so urinous (I've had some do that on me), on the other hand, you definitely can't mistake the honey note. To me, it's a smoother honey, but again, I can't tell if it's the honey that's smoother or that it's really wild but being put in place by the other notes.

@lulu LOL, I hate to cause dilemmas, and of course, what may be a nice thin smooth crepe on me may go wildly cakey and dense on someone else, however I really do like this one a lot. That clove is just phenomenal in this, and the way it blends with the other notes is just lovely.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I am wearing this again today, because I wanted to make sure I'm not leading folks astray in my review. The oil has been sitting about a week, too, so I was wondering if that would make a difference in the scent.

Here's my take on it: In the bottle, I still get that note I can't define, although today it does seem a bit more soured and a bit stronger on the honey. However, when I put it on my skin, I still get that amazing clove honey cake. Smelling it today, I would say that for the first ten minutes, the honey is stronger and does perhaps veer more toward The Girls Love series...and I'm thinking that's partly where that sourish note is coming in from. However, within ten minutes of being on the skin, is right back to being what I described above.

I can see how that sourish note could go urinous on some people (or be construed as such)--it has that same slightly acidic vibe--however, for me the clove is the prominent note, and once it dries on the skin (it doesn't have to get to the full dry down for this), that honey morphs into that honey cake/crepe that is so lovely to me. I hope that helps a bit more.
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

Yes I think that does help me decide. Nearly the whole line of the girls love goes wrong on me. I actually tried to use one in my oil warmer to see if that worked and when my aunt came into the house she wrinkled her nose and said "What smells like pee in here?" so that pretty much ended all attempts. I'll just stay away from The Virgin as well if it's even remotely like them. I'm having trouble with most any Posset containing honey except the girls love leather (and so many of them have contained honey recently) :( Not sure why that sample was ok but somehow it worked out on my skin. I better pass on this one.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

The only The Girls Love that I like (so far) is the Leather one. The others are too...mmmm...wait, let me put one on so I can compare them side by side.

Okay, the one I grabbed was The Girls Love to go Clubbing (because that one also has clove in it). Immediately, my nose is wrinkling and I am smelling cat pee. The Virgin bottle, in comparison side by side, is sour and somewhat sharp, but now I'm wondering if that sourish note comes from the wet clove and cake and not the honey note. There is a big difference between these two in the side by side comparison. I don't know if it's the cake that changes it all, but there is a noticeable difference between these two even though they both share clove and honey notes.

On my skin (I just refreshed The Virgin too to compare better), I think it's the cake and that "virtue" note that has The Virgin being a lot softer and, this may sound weird to say, but fresher. The Girls Love to go Clubbing, on me, almost smells stale and mustyish (and very very urinous--almost like a toilet that needs to be scrubbed). The Virgin though, seems to have a brighter/stronger clove note, is sweeter (but not candy/sugar sweet, more like the sweetness honey would give), and the honey is definitely more of a honey cake rather than straight honey.

I don't know if that made it worse or helped more lol.
emma
archangel
archangel

Post by emma »

By all reason this should be epic win on me. Instead it does that same thing to my nose that the gingerbreads and Moonie does! It's not even a skin reaction, it's more of a nose reaction. I wish I got honey-cakes, I wish I got clove, I just get something that makes me feel rather ill.