The Virgin (Valentine 2012)

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

@emma How disappointing for you. I love the gingerbreads and Moonie (Moonie recently stole my heart). I wonder what it is that makes you so sick. Big bummer, because all of those scents are so strong yet cozy/cuddly to me.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
emma
archangel
archangel

Post by emma »

I don't know, I wish I knew! All of "The Girls" work well on me, Cake is good, and clove is a major win! I don't understand, but I envy you all. :-(
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

Ok I just got this in and intial reaction to it (which might change) is that it smells like Possets "Cream" perfume that was released with the teas and a clove note. I'm cooking a large family dinner right now so I have so many other scents in my nose though. Pretty much more than anything I smell ham, gravy and boiling potatoes :) But without any doubt the same cream note is prevailing, and clove of course. It's much nicer for me than Cream was. I really like it so far.

*Also smells similar to Agnes Sorel (plus clove) so they all must have similar components.

I took a nap and woke up smelling this well so it lasts which is nice. Many of my oil perfumes don't and I have to reapply often. I think what works for me with this one is that other strong spices aren't heaped on top of clove and it has a singularity to it that's nice and uncomplicated. It is sort of innocent. Comparing this clove to that of Guinevere which I have now on my hand, this is lighter and doesn't go into overkill in spices. Sadly Guinevere isn't working for me because it's too much for me. My Mom will love it though.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

@tarayvonne I am relieved that this one didn't give you notes of death lol. I've been checking in to see how she worked for you. ;)

It's interesting to me how our noses pick things out. Cream, on me, was very dense and singular--almost to the point of me not liking it (although there was a lot about it to like). Having read what you wrote, now I'm going to have to go digging for my sample so I can put it on and compare it to this to see how the notes stack up. *I love science experiments
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

Check Agnes Sorel if you have that one. I wasn't sure which it really smelled like, but I knew it was one of the two. I gave both bottles away so I can't check now. This I do like. The honey is quite tame, thank goodness! But I do know I smell quite a lot of another Posset in this that I've had before. It must be either one of those. I think the formulas must have very similar components or something.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I don't have a sample of Agnes Sorel, but I will keep my eye out for her. I did just go to the reviews for her, and I can see why there could be a comparison to this. Now I'm even more going to keep an eye out for her. :D
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

I don't know either but I assure you it smells a lot like her with the addition of clove. A sort of milky quality shared with her and cream. I had a bottle but gave it away. I'm very sure by now that not all notes in perfumes are listed in the descriptions. There's always mystery additions tucked in there :)
emma
archangel
archangel

Post by emma »

@tarayvonne Now that you have made the connect to Cream, it makes sense this not working for me as that went really bad on me.
Jubilee
mortal
mortal

Post by Jubilee »

This is one of the Valentines that did not work for me unfortunately - the Clove is quite a strong dose to my nose and it doesn't really work on my skin unfortunately.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: The Virgin (Valentine 2012)

Post by Petticoats »

This is a very dense and foody mix of spices. For some reason I was expecting a more simple and clear fragrance, like Guinevere (which, contrariwise, I had expected to be more like The Virgin). Overall, I think I prefer the beautiful clarity of Guinevere, but on days when I want something cozy and foody, the rich spice-laden sweetness of The Virgin will be perfect. It's very plush and almost carries the texture of a dense, moist spice cake. I'm getting hungry just talking about it. :)
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.