The Queen Of Love And Beauty (Valentines 2012)

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

At every tournament there was a Queen of Love and Beauty appointed and she reigned during the festivities. This blend is named for that position. Two kinds of Sandalwood (Indian and Australian) and clear pomegranate musk dance with sweet amber and such a light amount of lavender that you won't know it's there...it's just to knit the ingredients together and give them harmony.

wet: heavy BUTTERSCOTCH. *checks label of decant again* Huh?
dry: Luckily the butterscotch eventually resolves itself into sweet, amber, and sandalwood. Very caramel-esqe still. No sign at all of the pomegranate, sadly. The lavender, just a breath of it, I can get if I am looking for it and huffing my wrist close to the skin - but if I hadn't been told to look for it, I'd never notice it.

The throw even after an hour is still all butterscotch/caramel, which are death notes to me. Too bad.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
rhubarbbear
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by rhubarbbear »

i get loads of butterscotch/caramel from this too! it kind of reminds me of id, with butterscotch instead of chocolate and less lavender. there's an underlying scent that reminds me of a light almond or cherry- i'm guessing this is the pomegranate. dry there's a very faint trace of sandalwood, but otherwise it doesn't change much from wet to dry on me.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Oh. My. Gosh. This one just rocked my socks.

In the bottle, I smell this amazing butterscotch caramel as noted above, but on application, as Jubilee said in the Valentine thread, I get this buttery syrup (but not fake syrup--more like the best pure maple syrup). As it dries down, the sandalwood floats up along with the creamiest amber, and at the very bottom I can faintly get a whiff of a lavender that reminds me (with the dial turned down to almost zero) of the lavender I adore in lavender pepys--but like I said, that lavender is turned almost down to zero it's so faint, however the way it mingles with the other notes is absolutely scrumptious.

This one definitely has a sweet foodie vibe to it--I almost feel like I need to wash my hands because I keep thinking I have some residual syrup on them or something (even though I haven't had syrup in a while lol), but the sandalwood is also present which keeps it from being rot-your-teeth sugary.

This one, under the sweetness, also has something in it that makes me keep putting my wrist to my nose to try to figure out everything I'm sniffing. It's intriguing my brain.

As it dries down further, the sandalwood continues to hold, the syrup drops down some (it still remains very present), and the other notes dry out and step forward a bit more (although the lavender remains very quiet).

To me, this is what I love in thick foodie autumnal scents, but done in a lighter fashion to make it less dense and rich so it's wearable for spring. There's something about it that makes me want to kick up my heels and pretend I'm a little lamb for a while. :-D
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Jubilee
mortal
mortal

Post by Jubilee »

Awesome review @Maya! It definitely has a butterscotch/maple syrupy feel when you first add it and after it fades the sandalwood is a sort of light one. I usually don't like the stinky sort of sandalwood but this one is beautiful. I think I might be getting a bottle of this :D
simonetta.vespucci
archangel
archangel

Post by simonetta.vespucci »

so funny. that buttery maple/butterscotch smell was what made me swap it away! but i knew at the time that the same feature would make others love this one! for the record - i did get the pomegranate musk (delicate, nice, i'd buy another scent with this) and the lavender (also delicate; fabienne has a great light hand with lavender, although this time it clashed with the sandalwood a little bit, according to my personal olfactory opinion). also, if you are interested, i'm pretty confident that one of the sandalwoods in this is the same as "silver sandalwood." (fabienne awesomely threw in a sample of that one because i had ordered this and sandalwoody guinevere in the same batch.)
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

For me, if it had been a one note maple/butterscotch smell, I would have liked it but it would have just been "nice." It's the way the other notes weave around that one--the lovely soft sandalwood, the kiss of lavender, etc--that make it so far beyond nice for me. When I wear it, I keep getting different whiffs that tantalize my brain and that have a perfume note that is truly a synergy of all its parts. (It really shines once I get it outside into moving air--amazing.)

No doubt about it, it definitely has that foodie vibe though. :-D
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!