Plantagenet Review (Valentines Possets 2012)

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

lilianny
a spark
a spark

Post by lilianny »

Got my decants and and LOVING Plantagenet which I don't see any reviews for. Granted haven't tested all the vials yet but this one called to me even wet. Kinda soapy, clean, light musk. Unisex, warm. Reminds me of something but can't put my finger on it. Fb worthy for sure
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

official description:
The most famous "last name" in the Middle Ages, the most powerful family. Plantagenet was from the sprig of broom which some of the members of this family wore in their caps as tokens of their clan. Suave, dignified and smoothly commanding on one hand, with a small amount of cypress to remind you of the outdoorsy side of their lives (such as the Crusades they ALL participated in), a veiled musk as a stand in for their legendary sexiness, and a bit of black pepper for their snap and dangerous sizzle. Plantagenet paints an almost perfect picture of the clan in perfume.

This is very very aquatic with a tingle of black pepper. It's very clean, quite soapy, a bit outdoorsy. Smells like a man's "sporty" deodorant to me. I was hoping for more cypress and pepper. Ah well, aquatics are not my thing.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

I really like this but find it very difficult to describe....in the vial I can smell the cypress, then wet on the skin I can see where the sporty mens deodorant of gypsiejolies review comes in. It's kind of dry and I can almost smell something like lime or citrus way in the background which gives it that aftershave edge and then.......it smoooothes out big time on the drydown. Cuddly, sexy, musky and soft are words that come to mind, ever so slightly powdery, this stays very close to the skin. Definitely not girly or sweet but very wearable and makes me want to nuzzle my own arm LOL
wl552
powers
powers

Post by wl552 »

My test patch has dried and went through washing a few dishes, so I think I can safely say it is what it is at this point. :)

Something in Plantagenet besides the musk agrees very well with my skin. In fact, even though it's only April and I haven't looked very hard at the Spring update, I'd go so far as to say this will be one of, if not the, sexiest perfumes of the year. I'm hard pressed to keep my nose off my test spot. I would never in a million years think that anything with cypress would smell good on me, but it must be only a drop with the musk and whatever else that makes this "suave, dignified and smoothly commanding."

Compelling, intriguing, unafraid, bold, and daring are other words I might use to describe this. Definitely a power scent, yet at the same time very reassuring and comforting. This has my vote for sure; I hope it makes GC.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Plantagenet (Valentine 2012)

Post by Maya »

I thought there was a thread for this, but didn't see it in the index, so am creating one here.

Possets' description: "Plantagenet was from the sprig of broom which some of the members of this family wore in their caps as tokens of their clan. Suave, dignified and smoothly commanding on one hand, with a small amount of cypress to remind you of the outdoorsy side of their lives (such as the Crusades they ALL participated in), a veiled musk as a stand in for their legendary sexiness, and a bit of black pepper for their snap and dangerous sizzle."

Plantagenet: in the bottle, it *almost* has a masculine vibe, but there's a lightness to it that keeps it from going totally that way.

On my skin: oh wow, this opens up beautifully. I think in terms of vibe, even though the notes at first scent seems a tad masculine, it actually comes across a lot lighter and "prettier" than Theodora (Theodora being deep and mysterious and sweeter which is more gorgeous than pretty to me.) It *almost* has an Irish Spring brightness to the scent without feeling soapy, and there's a LOVELY bit of woodiness that keeps it from being too light and floating into outer space. It has a tinge of memory of Old Spice (the old Old Spice, not reformulated versions), but comes across more sophisticated than that. And, in the first few moments, there's almost a lime hint threading through.

As it dries further, the notes keep it pretty grounded to my skin but it has a light quality to it that is very refreshing, and the lime note has gone away but I feel it lurking under everything keeping it all light and bright. I really don't get much black or harsh pepper from this, but there is a note that feels like a very fine white pepper that is keeping this on the woodier side.

I can see why others have had a hard time really giving it a deep review. It's a little hard for me to pin down the exact notes beyond spices, woodiness, and lightness, but the way they all merge together is pretty sexy--although it's not a vavoom sexy, more of a "I know who I am, and I don't have to prove anything to you" sexy.

I think people who enjoy woods and resins will enjoy this, but I also think people who find woods and resins too heavy will also enjoy this because of the very delicate touch Fabienne used on this blend.

Despite my deep love for the "sweet" blends that came out at at the same time as this, I think this one is right up there with Theodora in terms of appeal. It's "grounded" enough that it can be worn for solemn occasions, but the lightness in this makes me want to put on a frilly dress, some killer heels, curl my hair, and sit at a corner bistro and make eyes at the men walking by.

Edited to add that after drying down for several hours, this one remains very light. Since I'm comparing it with Death on my other arm, Death is MUCH stronger and more perfumey in the dry down, but Plantagenet is definitely still holding its own. It is, to me, a very "fresh" scent in that I'm still getting that Irish Spring vibe, but without soap or powder. I think it actually may be a good scent on warmer days because it is handled so delicately and not overpowering at all.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Re: Plantagenet (Valentine 2012)

Post by gypsyjolie »

The other reviews for this are here:
http://www.possets.com/talking/viewtopi ... net#p26599

I'm guessing that the Search function wasn't fully set up when you looked before.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Plantagenet (Valentine 2012)

Post by Maya »

Nope, it hadn't been, but I didn't realize it that at the time (and then I forgot to come back and fix it when it was set up lol).
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Re: Plantagenet Review (Valentines Possets 2012)

Post by warriortwo »

Mmmmm...this is really seductive! And it's got a lot of throw. Wood scents often go cloying or sharp on me, but this is truer to what you might smell in the forest and I like it. A little bit sweet and spicy, classic masculine vibe (although in practice it's unisex). A tiny, tiny drop of this is the right amount, otherwise it gets very intense. Delicious.