The Hairy Star (Valentines 2012)

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

Official description "The name for a comet comes from the Greek word for hairy...they thought that comets' tails looked like hair. so, it was reported that in 1066 there was a comet whisking across the sky heralding the coming of William the Conqueror who would take England. Throughout history comets have been seen as portents of great events. Sparkling sharp musk nips along with a hint of lavender and a dollop of grapefruit zest. complex and beautiful. You will relish it."

I only got a tester from a decant circle of this instead of ordering a whole bottle from Possets. Faux Chandelier had made me afraid of musk that is sparkling or sharp- it was so high-pitched it nearly blew my head off!
No need for caution with The Hairy Star though......yes it is a bit sharp to begin with, but in a citrussy way from the grapefruit. Very strong and perfumey, it certainly asserts itself! It's a hard one to describe but dries down to beautiful dry musk with small whiffs of lavender (if you really sniff up close) that keep it earthed and stop it from shooting off into outer space! Like Fabienne said, it is complex and beautiful, and actually quite multi-dimensional- although I find each facet hard to grasp and identify. Another big bottle in the cart.... :X
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I tried this one today (on my way out to do other things), and my immediate thought was, "I HAVE to come give a review of this so that people can try it!" This, imo, is one that should have gotten more attention than it did. I don't have the bottle in front of me at the moment, so can't reapply, but I will do a review later. I just had to come here though and say that I am shocked at how much I reaaaaally like this one. Also, since I didn't have the notes in front of me, I was going off of the scent alone, and I don't think I would have put this together with sharp musk. It's not soft, by any stretch, but it's bold and bright without being bawdy or harsh. So, so pretty.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

In the bottle: I get a very soft grapefruit, but it's like all the citrus edges have been filed off to soft nubs so that this grapefruit is rounded and comforting instead of sharp and pointy. It also has a beautiful perfume waft. I feel at a loss to explain the waft. It comes across as very perfumy, but not like mega-store perfumes in any way. It's slightly green in tone (I almost expect to see baby leaves popping out of trees when I smell this) and I also get the green essence of flowers without any floral note at all (although the way the perfume hits my nose, it comes across as though the souls of flowers was distilled and put in the bottle--so there's a floral note without a floral note, if that makes sense). Under all of that is the softest most beautiful lavender. I just had the pleasure of visiting a winery that had white lavender there. Not having smelled that particular kind before, I had to sniff it. It was much softer and a little sweeter (almost like white tea is to black tea) than the purple lavenders I've smelled. That is what this lavender note reminds me of.

Wet on my skin: This is spice without being spicy (and that fades very quickly) into a green that doesn't scream grass or shrubs or trees. The grapefruit rises to the top on me here, but I should rather say floats to the top because it's so light and balanced with the other notes. I get a juiciness from the scent at this point--mouthwatering essence--but it's not because I'm smelling something that says grapefruit, rather it's as though Fabienne distilled the juiciness of grapefruit and that is what I'm getting out of the bottle. That rides along with the green, and when I inhale deeply, I almost get a smoky effect, which is odd because I am not getting ANY smoke from this scent at all. Far, far undernearth, the souls of the flowers continue to ride in the scent, bringing a fresh springy sweetness to this. And under that, I get a bigger whiff of the lavender coming up. It reminds me some of the lavender in Lavender Pepys, but softened and gentled without the use of sugar or marshmallows.

As it dries, the musk begins to show up for me, but it's more so in the waft around me than what I get directly from my skin. Since I put more on today, I'm getting more of the musk, but I would call it more sparkling and bright than a sharp musk, although I can see how if overapplied or if used alone it could be lethal in its sharpness.

I REALLY wish I had adequate words to describe the perfume note. Here, I get a little more of that spice without spice again and it threads through the other notes. If I had been forced to break down what is in this scent, I might have gotten the lavender, but beyond that I would have floundered. I feel like it has been so beautifully crafted that the whole is so much greater than the sum of its parts, and that's what's making this so hard for me to nail down.

In full disclosure, there are moments where I almost get an animalic jasmine vibe, although I don't "get" jasmine from this scent at all in terms of smell, and there are also moments where I think "industrial bathroom soap." But then the scent slithers around again and dries further and softens more and blooms more and I realize (again) that what's directly ON my skin is creating a waft that is much more beautiful than what's on my skin would lead me to think. I've been noticing that lately about several of these perfumes and I don't know if Fabienne is doing something different to the process or using ingredients that lift differently from the skin or what, but I am fascinated by how much a few of these Valentines and Canterbury scents are one thing on my skin (that if sniffed too hard might be somewhat off-putting to some), but in the air wafting around me, the notes blur and soften and create an amazing scent.

As this dries down further, the lavender pops out even more, but it is such a soft and muted lavender that is cleverly wound up in the grapefruit and musk. I'm continuing to get the essence of smokiness without one drop of smoke in this scent. It's fascinating and lovely.

This scent is pretty. Very, very pretty. But there's also something about it that feels heartbreakingly beautiful. Maybe because when I close my eyes and try to pin this scent down, it reminds me of dark nights in Costa Rica out on a restaurant patio with torch flames wildly flickering in the breeze coming off the ocean, the greenness of the jungle at my back mixed with the tang of citrus fruits hanging on some trees, and the faint whisper of the souls of flowers riding the unseen wind. It's odd that it takes me to Costa Rica because I don't get tropical or beach from this scent at all, but when I think of how much I loved the beauty of Costa Rica and how mysterious and exotic and wonderful it all seemed to me (a 12-yr-old girl), I can see how/why this perfume ties in with that because it has that same FEEL to me.

It's scents like this that remind me again and again why I keep coming to Possets and why Fabienne is truly a master at her craft. It's not just about the smell, but it's about what the smell evokes and how the whole is so much greater than the parts.

Edited to add that probably due to the citrus, this one doesn't have a long life, but while it's here, it's lovely. Actually, the more I think about it, it does have a decent life, but the volume of it drops down quite a bit within a couple hours of use. I noticed this yesterday, and I'm noticing today, that it does hang around for a while, but once it drops down, it's more of a very muted version of how it starts out and that muted version is what I get the most of for the longest amount of time (it reminds me in some ways of how Sex in a Tree drops down noticeably on me, but then hangs around for a while).
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!