Chastity Belt (Valentines 2012)

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

"The zesty priggishness of mint is tripped up by seductive and subtle violet, jasmine rushes in and all is lost. Who needs a key when you can cut off the offensive barrier and have some fun. Surprisingly clean smelling for such a sexy somewhat animalic fragrance. Think that's a seduction?"

In the bottle, I can smell the violet, the jasmine, a touch of mint, and something else that smells like cinnamon. (I'm going to keep referring to it as cinnamon even though it may not be, simply because I can't think of anything else to call it.)

Wet on my skin, the violet and jasmine remain and that cinnamon-y note gets even stronger. When I put this on to test it a few days ago, the area I put it on tingled and got a little red and it made me wonder if there is actually cinnamon in here. Today, when I applied it, I didn't put as much on the q-tip so less is on my skin, but I still feel that tingle where the scent is. If it's not cinnamon, there's something else in here that my skin is reacting to. (I also accidentally brushed my upper lip with my wrist as I was bringing it to my nose, and my upper lip is tingling even though I quickly swiped it with my shirt.)

On me, the mint isn't dominant--more of a faint memory of mint that is quickly there and gone.

The violet (comparing to other Possets scents that have violet in them) seems to be a bit stronger, but I'm not sure if that's because the jasmine is also pushing it forward or because of that cinnamon note.

The jasmine has strength in here, but overall the fragrance (after it has dried down a bit) has a delicate and pretty feel. Having said that, I don't think this will work on our hot and humid days because it will just be too heady, however I can see it working in the cool and/or damp as a way of lifting a brave and cheerful face to the day (maybe because of that cinnamon).

I'm still puzzling over the cinnamon note in here. It blends well with the other notes so it's not like it's out of place, but it's not what I expected to smell in this mix so it's keeping my brain busy trying to figure it out.

This is a pretty scent, and as noted by Fabienne it also has a clean feel to it.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

Ok I'm fine with missing this one then. I always had high hopes for a violet/mint scent and this sounds like it would be less cooling than I'm after. Especially if there's a "burn" note in there causing a rukus. And jasmine and I don't always get along. There's something about it that's just too much for me. It bothers me in the end I guess. The smell can end up sickening me a little if jasmine is the lead note taking over the blend.
celandine
primordial
primordial

Re: Chastity Belt (Valentines 2012)

Post by celandine »

Testing for Retour, decant from Ajevie:

(And I just want you all to know that Maya is not crazy - I also get a sort of cinnamon scent in the background of this one!)

In the bottle this is exactly what I wanted - mint (spearmint!) and violet and a little jasmine. Then I put it on and poof! Mint is all gone. I get a lot of jasmine and a little violet but the mint completely disappears and I get that strange cinnamon-y scent in the background. Ten minutes later it's mostly jasmine with just enough violet to keep it from being overwhelmingly floral. (Does that even make sense? No, but it's still true!) Another ten minutes later and the jasmine/violet ratio seems to be closer to even (or maybe I've gone nose blind to jasmine lol!). It's a cooler scent to me, with a medium to low throw - more than skin close but not strong enough to leave a wafting trail. If you love jasmine but you've been looking for something that won't overpower your coworkers this would probably be the perfect blend! It's actually a surprisingly tame scent on me; I suppose it's aptly named! I was expecting something much "greener" but this smells "blue" to me. :)