Guinevere

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

DangerInRed
a spark
a spark

Guinevere

Post by DangerInRed »

Guinevere-Perhaps the most famous character in the Arthur tale, Guinevere is the soft, beautiful, insinuating presence which never has to shout to command attention. I think of this fragrance as transparent, youthful, a little spoiled, and very sexy indeed. It is the lightest of all the Possets' Dreams of Avalons. It is just ravishing and remains discrete. Crystalline and yet warming, sandalwood is the precious main component of the blend.

On first sniff, Guinevere smells like the spices used in Gingersnap cookies. To me, it smells very clove and nutmeg-y, and I can't really detect the sandalwood. IT is GORGEOUS. It kind of reminds me of Christmas. If you like spicy scents, get this. If you like foody scents but want to venture into spicy scents, get this. It's great!
puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Guinevere

Post by puck_nc »

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: Sometimes sandalwood works very well on me.

In the Bottle: A very light and bright scent. Sandalwood, crowded with floral and something that may be citrus-y...it's a very airy scent.

Wet: A blast of sandalwood, and then the scent seems to suddenly melt away. Buh?

Drydown: Okay, it's back...boy, was that weird! But at first it's almost 100% sandalwood. I can't find any of the other notes that made it interesting in the bottle. And then it morphs so strongly into clove that I can't detect anything else.

Verdict: I like it best in the bottle, so a scent locket visit will happen. But since it careens from one note to the next without blending on me, I'm not sure if I'll get a bottle of it.
Catsmeow
preternatural being
preternatural being

Guinevere

Post by Catsmeow »

I pick up on very strong notes of sandalwood and mace. Even though I've worn Guinevere more than once by now, I remain undecided about this scent. At times, I like it. At other times, I find it a bit "cold", akin to a confident, yet somewhat aloof and standoffish individual. I think this may be due to the kind of sandalwood oil used in the blend - sandalwood, depending upon its geographic origin and method of extraction or distillation, can come across as either wet/dewy (my preference) or dry/wooden/airy (what I perceive here). Nonetheless, Guinevere is an interesting composition that evokes a definite "reaction" in the wearer! I need to keep wearing more of it (until I finish the bottle) to decide how I really feel...LOL....
rhubarbbear
preternatural being
preternatural being

Guinevere

Post by rhubarbbear »

all i smelled in the vial and on my skin was pure clove for the first hour or more :( i mean, i like clove and all, but it was very one-dimensional, and i love sandalwood so i was disappointed that i couldn't smell it at all. about two hours later i get some skin musks and maybe a *touch* of blond sandalwood.

overall, not my thing. but i never liked guinevere much, so perhaps its for the best :) and with another skin chemistry, one that toned down the clove and blended the notes more than mine does this could be amazing!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Guinevere

Post by Atropos »

You might let it age and try again... I have had scents that were very ackward or seemed to be simple that after they aged smelt fantastic. Sometimes the oils are in travel shock when I get them, I try to make myself behave and not try them right as soon as I get them from a hot mailbox, but I hardly do. They don't always smell their best the first day they arrive, but I can't help myself. :tongue: None of you would have that problem right? :bigsmile:
bites_the_sun
a spark
a spark

Guinevere

Post by bites_the_sun »

Guinevere is all piercingly harsh clove to me and as such absolutely nauseating. I had a horrible, horrible reaction to it and nearly threw up. I don't get any sandalwood or any other hint of any other note at all. I am totally bummed.
Aevalin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guinevere

Post by Aevalin »

I ordered this decant grudgingly. I don't like Guinevere - I found her to be self righteous but then I always root for the Pagans, and Mists of Avalon is one of my favourite books :) The description of the scent had me however - it sounded yummy.

When I sniff the scent after I apply it I get something very spicy,gingery almost not as much sandalwood as I expected, I still like it but it's not what I was thinking it would be. It's not like I imagined Guin (but that's ok because considering how I imagined her it would have ended up like BPALs Privilege) - I like this but I don't adore it. I need to think about it some more.
ichabod
mortal
mortal

Guinevere

Post by ichabod »

Well yep, this is sandalwood on me - nothin' but sandalwood. I don't like the scent personally, but those who do should probably try this. :bigsmile:
whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

Guinevere

Post by whiskerswhispers »

Guinevere
In vial: clove! Not a smoky tobacco clove, but a comforting festive clove.
On skin: the clove is dominant but is becoming creamy and soft, almost carnation-like, but still definitely dry, spicy clove. This reminds me of the Yule LE Pomander Ball mixed with BPAL Port au Prince, a creamy, milky clove with a hint of something almost citrus-like and possibly a bit of cinnamon…but for now it's almost like a sweet clove single note. Over time this calms down and the sandalwood pops out-this is a very smooth, almost milky sandalwood-sweet, warm, creamy, not as dry as sandalwood can be but definitely with that fragrant and spiced wood scent to it. It's like a hot sweet milky drink with cloves, with a sandalwood undertone, and a hint of vanilla or maybe musk. If you like Morocco by BPAL, give this a try because there's a slight (though not identical) similarity with the creamy, spicy sandalwood, with clove instead of carnation. This is a very comforting scent, warm and cosy, the sort of scent to curl up with on a cold winter's day.
Baitu
primordial
primordial

Guinevere

Post by Baitu »

In the vial, this smelled like something burning, possibly rubber, which just made me laugh because I know how wildly these things morph as they dry. Sure enough within a minute of application it was smelling more like perfume and less like a disaster :D

It's very strong, sweet clove on me, with some sandalwood underneath it. It's a dark, strong, smokey, spicy scent that makes me think of incense burning on a brazier. Interesting - I may not get a bottle of it, but I'm glad I got to try it. Very medieval feel.