Guinevere

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

maribouquet
preternatural being
preternatural being

Guinevere

Post by maribouquet »

Mmm, dark, coarsely ground clove! The drydown is particularly lovely - I do smell the sandalwood and something slightly smoky/earthy, like in Pomona. This is a smooth, rich blend with a slightly mysterious and very alluring feel.

Not foody, but I did think I smelled chocolate in the far drydown, and then coffee of all things - then I remembered I spilled coffee on my hand this morning, so there you are! I think Guinny would layer well with a coffee note, FYI. :bigsmile:
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Guinevere

Post by gypsyjolie »

Maybe the imp I got in trade was aged, but I some clove (not overpowering), lots of sandalwood and I think, tonka (it's sort of vanilla/honey-esque sweetnesss but resiny). Wow, does it last ! 16 hours and still definitely there. It was a bit cloying at first but I adored it after and hour - even after biking up a sweat and getting wafts of it up at me in the wind from my wrists. Definitely bottle-worthy for me.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Guinevere

Post by gypsyjolie »

bumping this review thread as Guinevere just got re-released and we can easily add new reviews here. :)
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
simonetta.vespucci
archangel
archangel

Guinevere

Post by simonetta.vespucci »

funny that others found this harsh. i certainly get the clove and sandalwood but on me, it's all soft and warm and musky and rich. it has a fruity tone as well, perhaps a touch of apricot, when it's wet. i'm in love with it.

(this review is for the re-release.)

editing to copy in my mini review from the valentines' thread:

either it's the spiciest sandalwood i've ever smelled, or there is some clove in there (or both). i love clove. then there is a creaminess (amber, vanilla, light musk?) and a hint of fruitiness (apricot?) as well, but not too girlygirly sweet. she's a feisty redheaded guinevere, not a meh blonde one, that's for sure. (eta: it's kinda like isotta and sigismondo hooked up with miss opulentia from last year, behind a gauzy sheer drapery. ahem. good stuff.)
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Guinevere

Post by gypsyjolie »

@simonetta.vespucci - I got a thick, rich, soft scent too. I haven't tried it since a poppet from a swap box in 2009 but I still remember it :) So glad it was re-released!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Guinevere

Post by Atropos »

oh I love this one! Glad for the re-release, as well as the others too!
lulu
archangel
archangel

Guinevere

Post by lulu »

Oh dear, another of the clove-aphobes here! I really can't stand cloves generally,until Gypsy Grave completely turned me around with it's amazing clove cigarette smell. This, however is similar to that pure clove oil smell that i associate with putting on your gums for dental pain. It does eventually soften out, but not with any identifiable sandalwood- it's still pretty much clove all the way for me. Not my thing :(
Edit: 1 hour later- I was trying to work out what the slight fruitiness is in tnis blend and I think it may be apple. At least that is what it smells like now, cooked apples with cloves and spices....
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guinevere

Post by Maya »

I just got this and had to put it on immediately. I love clove so I wasn't surprised to get a strong dose of it in this (definitely not a smoky tobacco clove as noted above, rather like picking apart a piece of clove), but I just love how the other notes thread through this. Wet (immediately upon applying), I started to get a faintly pickled aspect, which I'm finding some mainly sandalwood or patchouli described scents from Possets can do (and I was starting to worry), but it immediately began to resolve into this gorgeous sandalwood scent. The sandalwood is a soft and creamy one threaded through with that clove note. There are a few other things wandering around and popping up here and there, but I'm not nailing them down yet. However, even if it stays just like this, it'll be enjoyable.

As it sits a little longer on my skin, the notes are softening and rounding out, bringing in *almost* what appears to be a maple-y or sugary essence, and it's getting creamier as well (without any sense of milk or cream--just creamy as in texture).

*Happy sigh.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Guinevere

Post by tarayvonne »

This one was just too much of everything for me, and it usually goes that way on super saturated spice perfumes. Clove on it's own I just found out works, but mixed with other heavy spices and I'm done for. I thought I couldn't wear clove so I was worried about ordering this one and the Virgin as well. The Virgin was lighter and I really didn't smell other spices other than clove so it worked ok. Morgan le Fey did this spice overkill on me too. Heavy spice=nausea for me. It's like that with food as well, overdone spices mixed in too heavy quantities ruin it for me. But it seems I'm in the minority here because everyone else loves both of these scents.
arabellaskye

Guinevere

Post by arabellaskye »

I love Guinevere! I have the nicest spicy scent. I love the clove, I'm new to
possets so I'm not sure about all of names of the different scents but the more I wear it the more I love it. I used up one bottle and have ordered the bigger bottle. Does anyone have any suggestions for anymore that have this spicy scent? I have gypsy grave and love it too, how does Morgan Le Fey compare?