Guinevere

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Guinevere

Post by tarayvonne »

Morgan le Fey is Guinevere's dirtier, sexier older sister :) They are quite similar but Morgan le Fey is darker thanks to what I think was vetiver, patchouli, and something else-maybe someone else can chime in? It's been 2 years since I smelled it. It was sort of dark earthy gingerbread or something dense and spicy cakesque.
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guinevere

Post by fabienne »

I edited the title, it's not an exclusive at a retailer any more. It's back exclusive to Possets main site.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Guinevere

Post by Petticoats »

I'm so glad I got Guinevere during retour! I almost didn't, because I couldn't imagine being very fond of a fragrance that sounded from many of the reviews like it was mainly a big wallop of clove. Well, the clove is definitely there, but it has a beautiful, perfumy, antiquey quality with the sandalwood and other notes. It really makes me think of some medieval wooden coffer that centuries ago was filled with spices, from which one can still get a whiff of that past fragrance. It starts out very, very quiet on me, but gains in throw as it dries down and warms on my skin. It has beauty and distinction, and a real elegance to it rather than the foody quality I had imagined when I thought of a clove perfume. I am going to enjoy this very much during the cold grey months of the year.

I'm particularly happy that Guinevere works with my chemistry since Morgan le Fay emphatically doesn't. :sad: I love Morgan as a character, but my skin chemistry turns her fragrance into a kind of sour horror. I never was drawn much to Guinevere as a character until I read William Morris's poem "Defense of Guinevere," which is what I'll think of when I wear this fragrance: a woman of dignity, passion, and intelligence.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
FrenchWaffle
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by FrenchWaffle »

So I was on the fence with this one, I already have a fine collection of spicy scents. I do love sandalwood though and when I was making an order for a couple of the inferno perfumes I tossed this one is as a gamble. I find I really do like this one, very clove-y at first (a really nice clove, almost foody but more on the dry side with almost-but not not really at all-a tobacco quality to it). Then an hour later it dissipates into a light clove/spice with more of the sandalwood coming through. Very light after a while, present, but to smell after an hour or two you'd have to lean in very close (perhaps good for more "intimate" occasions). I am glad I gambled on this one, a very nice clove blend.
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don’t plan it, don’t wait for it, just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair or two cups of good hot black coffee." -Twin Peaks
Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Post by Narcisse »

Initially I get from this almost straight smoky clove. It definitely reminds me of a friend of mine who used to smoke cloves and had a wood stove. It is definitely smoking cloves in the middle of winter at first. Then on me it turns into bread and butter pickled cloves and my mother just caught me with them and is now washing my mouth out with soap. I am hoping that age will tame the pickle and turn it into the beautiful clove sandalwood scent it is. It's sort of like the first time you see a band in person and you've only ever heard them recorded, initially you are like but that's not how it goes and then you eventually begin to realize the flow of live music which comes with extemporaneous passion the digitally perfect release misses. I am at present taming her wee bit overbearing nature with the exquisite Jefferson, and it's making a magical acoustic session I didn't know could even exist. I do see the beauty in the scent, but unfortunately she's being a bit of a brat at the moment so with hope and help of stockholm syndrome she'll come around I am certain!
sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut »

I have to agree with Narcisse, this is almost single note clove. It probably has to do with aging, clove does tend to take over with age. I love clove anyways so I will likely use Guinevere for layering with other blends.