Patient Griselda (Canturbury Tales)

...and on to Canterbury in the Spring of 2012. A charming trip through the verdant countryside with lusty tales and fabulous perfumes.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Patient Griselda (Canturbury Tales)

Post by Maya »

Possets description: "Dry and dignified yet beautiful and desirable, Patient Grizelda embodies all of the traits that the tale gave her. Violet for humility, iris for courage, sandalwood for patience (because it is long lasting) and finally sweet flag for something which shows its true nature when trodden upon. Sort of a poem in perfume to the concept of woman who has to endure in the face of almost unbearable suffering. One of the most often told of the tales, a gorgeous perfume and very very springlike. Another flower hater's floral from Possets!"

In the bottle, I get the violet, the iris, and a touch of something that is somewhat green (almost herbal) and sweet that I'm thinking is the sweet flag. Way down on the bottom, I can get a touch of the sandalwood. It *almost* smells slightly soapy, but I think it's more so cleanness of the notes.

Wet on my skin, it's like everything in the bottle explodes (but in a very calm and gentle way). It's everything I get in the bottle, but amped up. As it begins to dry down, the herbalish note backs off from the green and comes across as simply green and fresh.

The violet is cheerful and friendly, and the iris is not as powdery as I expected it to be.

The more it dries, the sandalwood kicks up a bit. It's not a heavy or dark sandalwood though, it's very bright and mixes well with the other scents and provides a slight edge that keeps this from going too soft or over-the-top floral.

This is a floral scent that doesn't have a single dominant floral note to me. There's nothing that screams singly iris or singly violet. Rather, the notes wrap around each other and blend into something that comes across as floral and soft and very much like spring. Fabienne nails it in her description: this is very springlike. There's a freshness to it that I think was what I was initially interpreting as soapy, but it doesn't "vibe" like soap to me as it sits on my skin.

The sandalwood doesn't really "pop" until several hours later where it shows up and you can tell it was providing a steady base the whole time. The flowers are definitely there from the get-go, but they aren't headache inducing at all and are very soft and fresh in tone. My friend who tried it with me the first time doesn't really get into florals, but she enjoyed Griselda and wants to get a bottle of her own.

Over all, I would say if you hate flowers, this might be one to try. It's a little understated, and it's pretty.

Edited to add that in the spirit of FULL disclosure, I will say that there were a few minutes where this scent had an almost flowery diapery feel. I have no idea what prompted that description, and it didn't last, so I wasn't going to add it. But, I figured I should add it, just in case anyone hates flowery diaper notes (even if they do shift away from that) LOL.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Patient Griselda (Canturbury Tales) Spring 2012

Post by gypsyjolie »

wet: violet and some sweet spring-like flower

drying: ah, hello sandalwood, my friend. Violets and pale sandalwood. The blast of green spring-y floral is dying down to a muted level already, thank goodness. This is still very fresh and sweet and "wet", like right after a spring rainstorm.

full drydown: I am getting the dry iris now, especially in the waft. This scent has good throw. The violet is the strongest element to the scent for me, though I can detect the sandalwood. This is still a "floral" to my nose and thus smells like a bath & body product to me.

Very pretty springy scent, but definitely a floral. Violet lovers will love this, or those that like feminine "green" spring florals.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
lulu
archangel
archangel

Patient Griselda (Canturbury Tales) Spring 2012

Post by lulu »

I am a violet lover, but have only just tried this on myself as when it first arrived I sniffed the bottle and it was straight up Possets violet. I guess it didn't stimulate me like the other Canterburys. Of course I should have known it was so much more than just violet.......
When first applied, the violet is prominent, fresh and spring-like. The sandalwood starts to weave through pretty quickly and adds dryness to the violet. There is however, something else lurking that is adding an unpleasant edge. It's kind of sharp and stinky and ammonia-like and it's spoiling it for me....I read Maya's review as I was looking for the notes; i think this is the "floral diaper" stage she mentions at the end.
But as she also says, this phase only lasts about 2 mins and I am totally willing to go through it for the drydown.....
Soft, husky, hazy sandalwood with the sweetness of violet. This stays very close on me and is very meditative and introspective, truly lovely.
Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Re: Patient Griselda (Canturbury Tales)

Post by Minh Scent »

I got this on the most recent Retour and am so glad I did! Patient Griselda is elegance in a bottle, fearturing three of my favorite notes -violet, orris and sandalwood. It is is a powdery dry violet scent ( as opposed to the "wet" violet in Bouquet de Marechel and Dutch Adonis). I cannot pick out the sweet flag, but yes, there is a light waft of another light floral and a bit of green later in drydown. To me it is a traditional, classic scent. :hrt::