Waltzing Matilda

A fabulous set of Possets commemorating and inspired by works by such poetic geniuses as Dickinson, Ginsberg, Whitman, and more.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Waltzing Matilda

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "It is actually difficult to make a perfume commemorating a man who steals a sheep and then hangs himself but for some mysterious reason, the language make the work hypnotic. Actually, the perfume is really about Australia and so that makes it easier to understand the inspiration. A sharp banana, creamy coconut, and a sharp vanilla musk (!), sandalwood, a drop of myrrh, and a grain of cinnamon. Very sweet but it bites back and you will love it. A real different take on the typical summer fruity fragrance.Unexpected, contradictory, charming, and vying to be your favorite fragrance."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Waltzing Matilda

Post by Maya »

I didn't realize it, but this is the one I put on right before bed. It was dark in the room, and I just grabbed a bottle to try before sleeping. That could have been a HUGE fail or win, depending lol. Today, as I grabbed to "officially" test this one, I realized it was the blind one I grabbed last night, so I get to give both initial and final impressions. Yay!

In the bottle: Banana Boat. Yep, straight up sun-tan lotion, with a teeeeeensy smidge of rounding out.

On my skin: This opens with HUGE coconut/banana Banana Boat vibe. If you love sun-tan lotion, this'll make you salivate. The banana, for me, isn't Fearful Symmetry--this is more laffy taffy banana, and almost off-putting.

As it dries: it begins to shift down some. I can tell it's thinking about morphing into something else, and I'm starting to get interested. (Nothing against banana laffy taffy or sun-tan lotion, it's just not my favorite combination.) The sandalwood is slooooowly creeping forward, the coconut is becoming less Malibu Rum and a bit more gritty, and the banana is taking some steps back.

As it dries further: Ahhhh, there now. It's beginning to soften up a bit and the high-pitched squeals of the banana laffy taffy are fading. The sandalwood is continuing to creep forward (hurry up, darn it!) and that helps to rough this up a bit and give it a bit of depth. I keep finding myself wishing for a dash of patchouli or earth to give them a solid base, but so far it's mostly creamy and soft.

Dry down: the sandalwood eventually comes forward more, but this definitely leans toward sun-tan lotion on me. Granted, I did take it out of a horribly hot mail box yesterday, so it may need some calming after travel. I'm not getting much of the cinnamon, but the sandalwood is a nice and smooth addition to the banana and coconut, and I think the myrrh is helping to round out the bottom and give this a bit of depth.

The final dry down (faint trace on my skin when I woke up this morning), ended up with a faint banana and coconut vibe but with a woody/sandalwood edge that turned this into something almost earthy (not loam--more like the way patchouli can go earthy), soft, and sweet.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

Thanks so much for the review, Maya. I'm seriously debating whether or not this one would work for me. The banana sounds kind of scary. But the dry down sounds like it has potential. Ah, decisions, decisions.
mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina »

I can't smell banana in Mathilda.
For me Mathilda is earthy , woody coconut.
It reminds me of sex in a tree but softer and "creamier".
HottieMcNaughty
a spark
a spark

Post by HottieMcNaughty »

You had me at banana (and my first Possets review!).

In bottle: Banana Laffy Taffy!

Wet on skin: I get a fruity banana but not fakey, it's got a soft green edge to it. Like miniature green bananas. The vanilla musk starts appearing and really softening the whole thing. Softly whirling around in the background is the sandalwood.

Dry on skin: The banana has really mellowed out with the sandalwood and myrrh. It takes this blend and keeps it from being little girlish and turns it into a sweet and sexy blend. The tiny drop of cinnamon was very important from

Verdict: If you like banana, pick this up! It's not totally 'hi there, how you doin?' in your face but it's a soft and pretty banana that I will enjoy wearing this summer!
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

This is very much "Summer in a Bottle". If I still made a point of sun tanning I'd be all over this. I might need a FB just because I shouldn't be tanning and to get me through Minnesota winters.... Oh, to smell this when it is 10 below might be better than one of those S.A.D. lightboxes!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

This is a delight, just plain fun. I got a decant since I was worried about the cinnamon, which tends to amp like mad on me, but Fabienne must have been true to her word that that there is only a "grain" of it in this blend since it's not overpowering at all, quite in balance.

To me the banana is on the green side, which keeps the creamy sweetness from becoming cloying. It's a delicious feel-good fragrance, and a bottle is in my future.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.