T. S. Eliot--April is the Cruelest Month

A fabulous set of Possets commemorating and inspired by works by such poetic geniuses as Dickinson, Ginsberg, Whitman, and more.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

T. S. Eliot--April is the Cruelest Month

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "I cannot think of Eliot without the quote about lilacs, even above peaches (J. Alfred Prufrock's, "Do I dare to eat a peach?"). Lavender and green tea form the base for this perfume and somehow it is a very compelling combination and gorgeous for summer with the exquisite lilacs, and I did remember to throw in a peach for you to enjoy...would not be Eliot without that. Floral but dry, fresh but profound."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: T. S. Eliot--April is the Cruelest Month

Post by Maya »

This is going to be another brief review (more of initial impressions), but I wanted to get another one out today, so here it is.

In the bottle: It *almost* reminds me of Reba's opening--the plum and the smooth green--but this is much softer, without the bracing olive leaf. I think I'm picking up on some fruitiness and some flowers that almost remind me of wisteria mixed with humid green.

On my skin: It starts as soft green for me, with some fruited softness tossed in. I have to admit that, at the moment, I'm finding this to be a bit air-freshener(ish). Some florals do that, and I have a feeling my skin is taking this down a very ugly road. I'm holding out hope for the lavender.

As it dries: Green tea. Yes. That's that soft green I was getting. It's a fruited green tea, and the air freshener aspect is toning down a bit. Oh, and lavender, there you are. Yay! The lavender somewhat reminds me of the lavender in Arc of Venus, but this is a totally different perfume than that. The more this goes, the more I'm not glaring at the bottle.

I'm not getting much lavender, but when I really stick my nose in and sniff, I can see how it could be playing around in this. I'm still getting a touch of fruit--I can't quite pin it down. It feels plummy, but not the candied plums of Reba. It's not a bright fruit--it's a bit darkish (I keep thinking purple and green when I smell this).

So far, I have not had many lilac perfumes perform well for me. It breaks my heart. This one is riding the edge for me in terms of likability, but I know (based on how it's going) my husband is going to accuse me of playing with urinal cakes again.

Dang it. April you ARE so cruel!

As it continues to dry: it shifts back into air-freshener territory for me the way Reba did. Gaaaah! Why, why do you hate me so, April?!

I see the potential with it, and think it would probably be lovely on someone else's skin.

I say that if you like florals with a touch of fruit and green, you should try this. Also, if you love Reba, you might like this one.

I really hope more people will review this. It doesn't deserve my poor sad comments. :sad:
jackieo
archangel
archangel

Re: T. S. Eliot--April is the Cruelst Month

Post by jackieo »

I wore this on my morning walk today. I totally agree with Maya descriptions. Luckily for me it works with my skin chemistry. I don't get much fruitiness, but a nice soft green floral perfume. I don't smell the lilac note at all. Thankfully, Curve curbs my desire for more fresh lilac perfumes.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

jackieo wrote:Thankfully, Curve curbs my desire for more fresh lilac perfumes.
Curve is the only one that plays nice for me.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Initial thoughts: The lilac in Lavender Corset is so delightful it made me want to try this different interpretation of it. And other green tea fragrances by Fabienne have been lovely, although occasionally they go soapy on me. I’m hoping this won’t.

In bottle: Bright, fresh, a little green, a little peppery (probably the lavender). I’m definitely getting the lilac and the clean green tea.

Wet on skin: Green, fresh, herbal, with the lilac adding an almost moist quality. A litle astringent; assertive, with the green of stems as well as the tea.

Starting to dry down: The lavender is more assertive than what I’m used to in Possets. Very herbal, bracing. The notes start to meld together into a whole and become less individually identifiable. It’s starting to brighten, get very springlike and sharp... ooh, I hope it’s not heading into soapy territory.

Later dry-down: It is, alas. Cruel, cruel April.

Verdict: On other people this will probably be a fresh, bracing breath of spring. If I ever get a scent locket, I’ll try it that way.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
sthenno
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by sthenno »

Initial review
Wet: Lavender with...greenness.
Drydown: I don't get the peach at all except maybe as a very subtle note around the edges. I smell the lavender primarily and it works with the lilac so surprisingly well. All I can think of is a light purple dress edged with ivory lace in a museum. It is very English (not so much American in England ;) and I quite like it in a Victorian sitting room kinda way. I think this would be good for days when I just need calm and quiet contemplation.

It isn't soapy to me but I enjoy floral perfumes, especially of the 'old lady' variety, so your mileage may vary on this review :)
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

I should probably have noted that I think the soapiness I get from some green-tea fragrances is just my particular skin chemistry, which is why I'm sure others won't have this problem with April. It's sad, because my skin can wreck lovely fragrances like Linden Blossom Tea and Massachusetts Elegance & Old Money. And now April. This is why I need to get a scent locket! :)
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
sthenno
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by sthenno »

Petticoats wrote:I should probably have noted that I think the soapiness I get from some green-tea fragrances is just my particular skin chemistry, which is why I'm sure others won't have this problem with April. It's sad, because my skin can wreck lovely fragrances like Linden Blossom Tea and Massachusetts Elegance & Old Money. And now April. This is why I need to get a scent locket! :)
Totally! I think I personally just like soapy smells though, haha!
FrenchWaffle
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by FrenchWaffle »

TS Eliot is my favorite poet of all time (closely followed by Dylan Thomas) and the description was perfect for me (lavender and green tea!). This one does not disappoint.

In the bottle: something floral, either a very light lavender or a hint of lilac, with a bit of green tea.
Wet: Floral, lilac is the dominate note here backed up by lavender along with something sweet, but not floral (peach?) I get more of the green tea but the florals are center stage for now.
Drying: Green tea starts to come out a bit more, almost jockeying for position (turning just a tad in the soapy direction), but eventually working out to a nice balanced blend. I haven't had a whole lot of experiences with lilac in perfumes, but this reminds me of the white lilacs that grew in the back yard in my childhood. Loving this green tea note with a capital "L"!
Dry: Green tea, florals, and finally the peach comes out a bit more in just the barest hint. I am usually unsure of fruity notes, but this works amazing!

Final thoughts: I really love this scent. Nice and clean, good for the warmer months, and very comforting. I know I will be ordering a back up bottle before it is gone.
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don’t plan it, don’t wait for it, just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair or two cups of good hot black coffee." -Twin Peaks
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

In the vial this is very fresh. On my skin, the peach really comes out. Peach, a little greenish floral underneath, a mere hint of green tea. It's very pretty but not quite my thing, the fruity-floral sort of thing. A little too girly for me maybe? I don't usually engage in fragrance ageism but I think this would be more suited to someone younger than me. Also, if I was outside in the sunshine I'd probably enjoy it more than sitting in an air conditioned office.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds