Seamus Heaney--In Gallarus Oratory

A fabulous set of Possets commemorating and inspired by works by such poetic geniuses as Dickinson, Ginsberg, Whitman, and more.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seamus Heaney--In Gallarus Oratory

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "I have visited Gallarus Oratory and the scent of stone inside is amazing, as it is to think of turf fires mingling with the sea in all this. I set about to recreate this wonderful poem which I first heard inside the Oratory, and to do it in perfume. To conjure up the day when I strolled down a path of buzzing blooming fuchsias alive with bee traffic, to read the tiny praying house. Gallarus Oratory is what it is like to be there. A cold yet cozy perfume with a waft of a turf fire in the distance, the sea lapping at the shore below, and the fragrance of stone. Remarkable in its chill, but also somehow familiar. Sophisticated, dry, unisex."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Re: Seamus Heaney--In Gallarus Oratory

Post by Atropos »

I am really interested in this one. Any one tried it yet? *crosses fingers*
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Atropos wrote:I am really interested in this one. Any one tried it yet? *crosses fingers*
You and me both. I hope someone can give some comments on it soon!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
LadyofFluff
mortal
mortal

Post by LadyofFluff »

Maya wrote:
Atropos wrote:I am really interested in this one. Any one tried it yet? *crosses fingers*
You and me both. I hope someone can give some comments on it soon!
Same, I now really regret not adding a sample of it to my decant order.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

This is in my decant order. I guess we just have to be, dare I say it? Patient!
I want to hear about Beowulf. I wanted a decant of it but couldn't get it.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
sthenno
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by sthenno »

Wet: There is something SO strange in this one, I cannot put my finger on it....I think it is the 'fire'!
It reminds me of Maine in that it is a complex, masculine aquatic-floral but the strength of the fire/stone elements are overpowering.

Drying down: It makes more sense now! The aquatic notes are setting up the fiery-stony elements and the florals are spreading out behind them. I am not sure what the floral is but it is reminiscent of sweet pea for me. Honestly, I don't get stone as much as I get metal. It has a metallic tinge to it.

Dry: Wow, completely mellows out! The aquatic notes are background noise and the floral-fiery-metalstone thing is melding into a warm glow. There is a soft quality that reminds me of vanilla perfumes. This kinda reminds me of cats, basking in the sunlight and hopping in your lap. I always smell my boy's head when he is like this and this perfume reminds me of that but translated into a perfume with some competing notes.

I think I will use this one when I need comfort.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Thanks for the review! I am hoping for another, just to have another view on it, before I order. I did do a review of Beowulf and it's awesome.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

This one is rather strange. In the vial it's all aquatic-floral to me. On my skin I get that, and the idea of stone plus the smoky/fiery thing which is almost a bit peppery.
I think with this one I am better off not trying to pick it apart but just "smell the big picture" and think, "Would I like to smell like this?" I think the answer is Yes.

ETA: The drydown on this is really something. It's kind of "perfumey" but yet so unique. I gave this a brief test when I first got my decants and kinda thought "Hmmm." After giving it a proper go, this one is in the running for a FB. If you try it, like I said, give it a chance and Smell the Big Picture!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
allegro_barbaro
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by allegro_barbaro »

RIP Seamus Heaney :sad:
"Look like the innocent flower, but be th' serpent under't"
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

In Gallarus Oratory is atmospheric and multifaceted. It is a bit hard to describe, as it's also rather elusive, a bit boggy in the background (as in moss) and not very strong, but wonderfully a scent of place and experience, as Fabienne did so well. There is also almost a sweet note that emerges for awhile on me, though nothing like that is mentioned in the description. It could be that the aquatic element goes a bit sweet on my skin. The stone note and smoky element are present, but subtly, very much in the distance. The scent lasts about two hours on me, and is soft and stays close to my skin without projecting. This for me is not something I would wear enough to get a bottle of, but I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to try this example of Fabienne's art in perfumery. It is very experiential and like a living tableau of her experience and travels.