Omar Khayyam--The Rubaiyat

A fabulous set of Possets commemorating and inspired by works by such poetic geniuses as Dickinson, Ginsberg, Whitman, and more.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Omar Khayyam--The Rubaiyat

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "The rich resins of the Levant mingle here in sweet desire. Khayyam was a man who was all about peace, brotherhood, the beauty of words, and (if his words are any indication) a celebrator of the senses. High keyed resins which represent the modern Eastern tastes in perfumery. Khayyam ushered in a modern era and it is fitting that this perfume reflects that. Bakhoor smoke and gentle carnation mix with white oude and a very black musk. A drop of majmua. A passionate and very complex blend. I would wear it clubbing in Dubai. Sexy, resiny."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Omar Khayyam--The Rubaiyat

Post by Petticoats »

About an hour and a half in, Rubaiyat is smelling very soft and feminine. Not "soft" as in weak or wispy, but as in a mohair sweater. I'm not good at picking out individual notes, but with this fragrance everything seems of a piece, so it may be Fabienne's skilled hand as much as my inexperience that makes this fragrance seem so unified. It's very sweet, very feminine and girly, and sort of cuddly-sexy--coming on with a whisper and a glimpse of shoulder as opposed to high heels and a bustier. The closest thing to it that I think I've encountered is Wiggle's Hither, which is largely musks. I'll update over the next couple of hours if it changes markedly.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

A few hours later, Rubaiyat hasn't markedly changed except to convince me that, although very feminine, it's not little-girly. This is a grown-up's fragrance. It's more perfumy-sweet than what I usually go for, but it's a lovely fragrance that could be quite seductive in the right circumstances.
firebirdseeking
a spark
a spark

Post by firebirdseeking »

I agree that this is a grown up fragrance, and my first whiff was of the East. As it dries down, I definitely get the floral - not sure what that is, but its a keeper for me!
mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina »

For the first minutes, it reminds me of Mumtaz mahal. A darker, stronger and masculine version.
After one hour I got a resinous, black and sexy perfum with a hint of carnation.
I really really love this one :heartrise:

Edit : after a few hours it becomes softer, with more carnation and the resin and oude in the background.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Wow, Mina, that sounds amazing. I wish it behaved that way on me! Maybe if I give it a little more time to settle...
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Time for another review! I've been wanting to try this for a while, but haven't had the time. I have a few moments this morning, so here we go!

In the bottle: I get an instant vibe of exotic India: incense, bright saris, warmth, florals, and a cold smoke threading through underneath.

On my skin: Spiced (not not like cinnamon or clove--more like herbs can be spicy sometimes). Something floral, but I can't pin it down--it almost comes across as a jasmine with maybe a faint hint of nag champa--but it's very low-throated. That cold smoke is like an incense that was burned, then left to fade in the room. It's not a big smoke note--it's very chill, very mellow. Nothing head-shoppy here.

As it continues to dry: Mmmmmm. Oh my. This is going sooooo sexxxxxxxy right now. It's fascinating me how it comes across with notes that would typically seem heavy and dark, but here are the same notes softened and "thinned" so that it's not too heavy for summer. Fabienne did that last year with her summer perfumes and it fascinates me how she can do that.

Right now, I'm trying to figure this one out. I'm getting a very very faint vibe of carnation maybe (I'm not looking at the notes as I type this). There's a teeeeny edge that reminds me of the carnation note of silver carnations (without the silver, without the green). I'm also getting a teeeeeensy bit of Gypsy Grave, but where that's warm, this is cool and softer.

I'm getting...hmmm, what is that? Gah! I can't figure this out. But that's not a bad thing. It's beautiful. This perfume has very little sweetness to it. It's like a dry wine--the notes combine in a way that give a hint of sweetness without having sweetness to it.

At times, I get a sandalwood note (although sometimes it feels a bit more cedary) coming through to give this a bit of an edge and round it out.

Ahhhhh now I'm getting something that reminds me of very soft white wood. Sunshine on the floor in a home filled with exotic spices and herbs. I flipped my wrist a bit and I'm getting something that makes me think of oude. Yep. That's it--that's the soft white wood note. Threading all around this is a beautifully perfumy note that holds the core.

Final dry down: this is almost woody, but not quite. It's rich and deep, but on a much softer scale. It's all of the beauty of the Far East--flowers, sunshine, architecture, bright colors, silk, spices, incense, smoke, and dark sultry eyes all wrapped up in one bottle. I'm smitten. It's not what I would typically go for--I tend to like things to be a bit less "dry" in feel, but it's so compelling. I can't stop sniffing my arm. Mmmmmmm.

I could see this wearing very well on the right man, but it's also perfect for women. I can't stop sniffing my arm.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I have to add an update: the longer this is on my arm, the more it reminds me of how vetiver becomes such a rich perfume note--but this one is all soft and sexy oude with that same rich tone and feel.

I have a friend staying with me right now. She came down the stairs and was all, "Ooooooh! You smell SO GOOD! What are you WEARING?! That's amazing on you!" Yeah. It's that good. So, of course, I had to have her try it, and as she's sitting on the phone talking, I see her constantly picking up her arm and sniffing.

This one, on me, is all about that beautiful oude with a touch of florals (although, it could be more the memory of florals insinuating its way in), a thread of cold smoke, and soft creamy wood. Despite saying it's a cold smoke, this perfume is warm and inviting, and is very much a come-hither snuggler (a snuggler more on the sexy side than on the comfort side).

The more I sniff it, the more I keep trying to decide if it reminds me of Turkey (pics I've seen of the open markets--rich tiles, spices/seasonings, tapestries, amazing jewel tones) or of India (silk, more spices/seasonings, flowers). I can't decide. All I know is that it takes me away to lands where the sun warms the skin, spices flow, silk and other fabrics caress the skin, and every where I look I am dazzled by how lush and hot and amazing everything is.

Yeah, this one's a keeper.
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

Maya, I am ordering a bottle of this due to your glorious review. May it be as kind to me as it was to you!
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

gypsyjolie wrote:Maya, I am ordering a bottle of this due to your glorious review. May it be as kind to me as it was to you!
I'll be crossing my fingers in hopes that it is! This will definitely be getting one of my votes.