Emily Dickinson--In the Garden

A fabulous set of Possets commemorating and inspired by works by such poetic geniuses as Dickinson, Ginsberg, Whitman, and more.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Emily Dickinson--In the Garden

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "Dry and stone-like, an austere and cold fragrance with orris root, grey musk, Himalayan violet, and galbanum. This is a pure and "fabric like" fragrance which reminds me of Le Dix by Balenciaga. Nothing foodie or sweet, nothing floral or resinous. It is intensely beautiful though, like leaning against a marble column on a blazing hot day. Perfect for summer. A cerebral fragrance. Very much like the Belle of Amherst herself, shy, virginal yet tempting in it purity."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Emily Dickinson--In the Garden

Post by Maya »

I'll be giving first impressions tonight, then will try this at a later time by itself. I just wanted to get something on the page for this one right away.

In the bottle, ooooh green, green, almost sappy green, with a woody note like the bamboo in Arabesque. Under it all is a group of flowers, with what seems to be a small touch of something that comes across as spicy (peppery or cinnamony without having those notes).

On my skin: fresh and floral/green. Wow, this one is like walking through a just-rain-drenched garden. This is nothing like I expected it to be. It is almost like holding a bunch of cut green stems in my hand. It is very fresh/refreshing, cool, with a faint faint touch of that spice note (I'm trying to figure it out) threading through.

Sniffing this, I feel like I just stepped into a very dewy garden after a hot day and after a big rain, where the air has chilled 20 degrees, the sun is going down and bringing out all of the nuances of a damp garden.

This truly is an In the Garden moment. It's very refreshing, but it's not just the green or garden. It's green and garden, then taking some of it and turning it into perfume, then mixing that back with the original fresh and green garden so you get the nuances of the bright green and garden note, while also getting a deeper perfumed note.

If you like green scents, this is worth a try!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
sthenno
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by sthenno »

I love this scent---but for the very strange halo about it.

I am not sure if it is the orris root, the violet, or the galbanum but there is a sharpness to the edges that is not entirely pleasant to me. I am starting to believe it is the violet as I remember eating violet candies and not really digging it. Whatever it is, it is a turn off for me.

That being said, this is a lovely green fragrance and is in between herbal and grassy for me. It is not a fresh as a more blue-toned 'green' fragrance, it is more astringent and bitingly green with a little floral bit to it. It makes an interesting companion piece and contrast to Leaves of Grass, which tickles me considering the polar extremes of each author's oeuvre.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Niiiiiiice. If you like orris you should get this one. That's the main note I'm getting here and I am a big fan.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

I'm a little surprised this one did not get more love. How can one go wrong with orris, galbanum, violets and grey musk? Ok, these are a few of my favorite things. I was wearing my decant of this earlier today and it is probably something of which I need a FB before it's gone. Of course, as with all the collections I've sampled, this one had a lot of gorgeous frags.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds