Dante Alighieri--The Inferno

A fabulous set of Possets commemorating and inspired by works by such poetic geniuses as Dickinson, Ginsberg, Whitman, and more.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dante Alighieri--The Inferno

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: ""Abandon hope all ye who enter here." -Dante Alighieri, The Inferno A fitting fragrance for the most famous line in the entire epic poem. Bitter almond (the scent of cyanide) is the top note, darkest sticky black musk is the deepest basenote. Spices like: nutmeg and cinnamon and clove are caught in the middle, while there is a jolt of capsicum (part of the nighshade family) from the depths licking up. Black oude lurks in the background. A black resin which sticks to you like SIN, sticks to your very soul! Revel in it! you can really smell the hyperheat of flames' edge in this one.

***Caution: May cause skin sensitivity in sensitive SOULS!"
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Boudicca

Re: Dante Alighieri--The Inferno

Post by Boudicca »

Wow. This is Perfect for something called Inferno.
In the bottle: Abandon all hope, etc. indeed! A little scary.
On skin: It starts all cinnamon and capsicum. The clove shows up a bit later. Takes a while for the oude to show up.

Not for the faint hearted.

Ok, no. I really should only try one at a time. Staggering application only helped a bit in the long run.

I'll do a first impression of Lord Byron though anyway. I've got the opening. Don't ask me about dry-down.

ETA: Despite the major cinnamon/capesicum/clove combo, I did not have any adverse skin reaction. But I did only apply a drop.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

I slathered this on this AM. It did turn my skin red today but that went away after about 40 mins. This is all about the spices, all of them, on me today. I did not get the almond or the musk either time around. The oude is hanging in the background. I'll let it sit for a week or so before testing it again I think.
I wish I was at home with my bottles. It's giving off a vibe that similar to something I have, but I'm not entirely sure which.
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

I am both drawn to, and repelled by this one. I love a good spicy scent, but for me they can't be ALLSPICEALLTHETIEM. I need to be able to smell the other components. I am very afraid that my skin would turn this into single note cinnamon.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

The one I thought Inferno reminded me of is really nothing like it other than also having a cinnamon/clove thing going on. I tried a drop of both and they are completely different. But I got a bit of the almond in Inferno this time. If the musk also starts showing up, this could work quite well for me.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Boudicca kindly sent me her bottle of Inferno so that I could try it. I'm not sure how well I'll be able to describe it, since I'm still a newbie in most things perfumy, but I'll do my best!

In bottle: peppery, perfumy, and strangely cold (!).

Wet on skin: It's smoother now—maybe that's the musk?--with more of a warm impression. Is there something metallic there?

Five minutes on: The pepper note is back and stronger, hotter. I'm getting the cinnamon and clove. Kind of a smooth heat, a little like those tiny candies that are (or used to be) called red-hot. But this is more grown-up, with that odd chilly note (almost like licorice?*) hiding in the back. It’s having a slightly irritating effect on my skin, but not severe. (*What I am thinking of as licorice may actually be pepper--I get the same kind of note in Venus Black, which has pepper but not, as far as I know, licorice or anise.)

Continuing to dry down: I wonder if it’s the almond that’s giving it that slightly chilly effect—maybe because it reminds me of A Room of Melancholia, which has a faintly chilly quality. The heat and the cinnamon are definitely dominating and continue to remind me of red-hot candies. My skin tends to amplify cinnamon, though, so others might not get quite as much of that.

Overall: It's an assertive fragrance, somehow very adult despite the red-hot-candy side--which isn't the entire fragrance, just the most easily identifiable part of it for me. The almond seems to linger quite a while. After an hour or 90 minutes I washed Inferno off because it was irritating my skin a little bit.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.