Charles Baudelaire--Les Fleurs du Mal

A fabulous set of Possets commemorating and inspired by works by such poetic geniuses as Dickinson, Ginsberg, Whitman, and more.

Moderator: Maya

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Charles Baudelaire--Les Fleurs du Mal

Post by Petticoats »

Initial thoughts: I read Baudelaire’s “Metamorphoses of the Vampire” while working on my dissertation, but that’s the extent of my familiarity with his work. Still, that’s enough to intrigue me. Also, I love the way Fabienne uses sage in Huile of Fortune and Arizona Sage & Honeycomb; it’s so subtle. I’m not sure how I’ll feel about the salt in this fragrance, but my curiosity won.

In bottle: Striking in a dry way. Not particularly sweet. Paper and salt I can imagine being part of this, but also a softer, fresher something that is almost like grass—probably the sage. An almost-but-not-quite smoky quality that could definitely be the burning of sage.

Wet on skin: Something with a bit of heat is emerging. This is still almost pungent, but not unattractively so. There is a kind of antiquey dry quality that could be compared to old books—the “very fancy library” of the description. Still not very sweet. Could definitely be a unisex fragrance. Distinctive.

Starting to dry down: I think I’m getting the very faint presence of lime, adding to the piquancy/pungency. I think the hint of honey is the tiny bit of warmth I get. It’s complex and developing some depth and more intensity. I can imagine this being devastating on the right man. The faint bite of salt makes me think he’d be a bit jaded and cynical. :) Yet there’s something kind of classic here—it’s becoming quite elegant in its austere way. I think that burning note is emerging more, giving it a slightly spicy feel—or is that creosote?

Later dry-down: Has terrific throw, asserts itself even more strongly. The salt is definitely still present, as is the papery quality; the burning note has receded a little but still hovers. A couple of hours later the honey comes to the fore a little bit more to soften it a smidge. This has great lasting power.

Verdict: This is dramatic, intriguing, and so different from any perfume I’ve encountered before. It’s not exactly a welcoming or friendly fragrance, but it’s got an attractive bracing quality nonetheless, especially if you like saltier, drier, unconventional fragrances. I can’t quite figure out what mood it evokes in me, besides independence; this isn’t a fragrance that welcomes others in, and I don’t think it’s meant to. There’s a melancholy there but also a kind of briskness and stark beauty. It’s going to take me longer to figure out!
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Following up: I tried Les Fleurs out again today, using a lighter hand, and got more sweetness than I did before. It definitely doesn't seem as unisex to me now; rather, it has a delicate close-to-the-skin sweetness beneath the salt, lime, and burning sage... so be advised if you were thinking of getting this for your man!
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Hill's take on this was the most similar to mine. Though the opening did not make me think of leather. It was very acrid on me too at first, I could practically taste it in the back of my throat. I've run across maybe a couple other scents to which I''ve reacted similarly.
I considered washing it off but stuck with it. Glad I did, it's somehow turned into a beautiful floral on me.
Things that make you go "hmmm....."
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 »

First of my Retours to test, and it's a gold stamp winner. I may have died and gone to heaven.

Initial blast of sage, both a touch of smudge stick and herbal. I adore sage and this is everything I was hoping for. The gorgeous touch of honey lends an almost tea-like quality, along with a very light touch of fresh lime rind. There's almost a suggestion of anise here, though it's just the impression of it. This is giving me a similar vibe to The Shipman, though it's still a very different blend. Much more herbal. I don't the leather that others have mentioned. I'll have to test this alongside Arizona at some point, though the lime, salt and slightly smokey sage in this one makes it its own.

This is bright, luscious, and utterly moreish. My one and only "complaint" is that I wish the Charles Baudelaire picture was on the label because his stern countenance is hilarious.
celandine
primordial
primordial

Post by celandine »

(Purchased a sample through Ajevie for retour!)

It's interesting to me that other people got things like leather and anise from this one... I got mint. For certain, I can pick out all of the main notes mentioned in the description - sage, lime, and honey, but I think this may be one of those blends that reacts a little bit differently to the chemistry every person. Regardless, I love all of Posset's sage scents, and this is no exception. It's seductive and romantic and exceptionally well-crafted. I don't get a lot of change as it dries - the honey fades a bit, maybe but it's a subtle change, and the lime and sage linger for a long while before it fades down to skin-close scent. Very beautiful, and one I'll probably purchase as a full size.