Alexander Pushkin--The Flower

A fabulous set of Possets commemorating and inspired by works by such poetic geniuses as Dickinson, Ginsberg, Whitman, and more.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alexander Pushkin--The Flower

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "A poignant poem, so nostalgic. I thought I would present it as the love it was which was not revealed to the poet but only left one souvenir to tantalize him. Pushkin was the greatest of Russian poets and writers. I always see Pushkin as the soul of Russia.To this end and to celebrate the purity of his poetry, this is a mixture of all white components. 5 white musks form the foundation. Very romantic with the sophistication of modern musks combined with the earthy antique scents of old Russia. White sage, Russian lavender, stachys, and artemisia. Subtle but long lasting."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
puck nc
a spark
a spark

Re: Alexander Pushkin--The Flower

Post by puck nc »

Origin: Straight from Possets

Initial Thoughts: I wanted something to travel with Romance Sonámbulo, but so many of the Poetry blends seemed to have a death note in them. The Flower seemed to be the best shot as it listed a blend of white musks. I don't amp white musks the way I do others.

In the Bottle: Wow. I don't know if it's accurate, but the first whiff smells like my memory of my mom's Chanel No. 5 that she kept on her dresser and saved for special occasions. I used to sneak whiffs of it on a regular basis. It even has that "alcohol" factor that I associate with most commercial/industry perfumes. Even if this turns out to be horrible on my skin, I'm likely to hang onto it and use it constantly in a scent locket.

Wet: Plus side, the alcohol impression is gone instantly. Next plus side, it's a beautiful rush of light florals and gentle musk.

Drydown: Plus side, it's a very quiet musk blend. Minus side, I'm getting very little throw from it. While that makes for an excellent work scent, I don't like having to sniff so hard for my perfume.

Verdict: For the memory scent alone, I'm keeping this.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Initial thoughts: I love the way Fabienne uses sage in Huile of Fortune and Arizona Sage & Honeycomb; it’s so subtle. I’ve also come to trust her with lavender. Other than that, I don’t really have any idea what to expect, although ‘very romantic’ definitely cries out to me.

Slightly less initial thoughts: This fragrance is so elusive! I keep playing with using different amounts, and it seems like in the couple of hours since I got it out of the hot mailbox it’s changed in the way it develops on me. I think I’m getting a fuller experience now that it’s had a few hours to settle, but it still kind of eludes me.

In bottle: Light and perfumey. An astringent quality calls perfume even more to mind. My curiosity is piqued.

Wet on skin: Soft! Lovely, delicate, with herbal notes emerging freshly and the faintest high-pitched sweetness clinging to them. The perfumey quality is still present but not overwhelming. I probably shouldn’t try to distinguish musk from the floral/herbal notes, because I’m not knowledgeable enough about musks, but this definitely makes me think of herbs and growing things, and the slight astringency (which soon starts to back off) could be stems or herbs.

Starting to dry down: A lovely softness continues to emerge. Delicate, feminine, but not completely sweet; it definitely calls to mind the poem and its reflective quality, the way the speaker’s thoughts are carried back to the past. It has that kind of poignant quality. Very elegant and a little aloof—not a sugary or little-girl (or femme fatale) kind of feminine.

Later dry-down: Becoming more feminine. Ethereal, even.

Verdict: This is a feminine, soft, and elegant fragrance. It strikes me as being a little bit formal, perhaps because it makes me think of classic perfumes, and also because it’s not a “happy” fragrance but a more contemplative one. It also seems to fade pretty quickly, unfortunately.

Following up: Giving this another test run, I'm still finding this a soft, feminine, classic-perfumy fragrance. It's staying close to the skin, which may be why I doubted its lasting power before (the hazards of testing a different perfume on each arm!). Elegant.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
jackieo
archangel
archangel

Post by jackieo »

Since we already have two fantastic reviews. I will just say that this is so incredibly lovely. I will be ordering a full bottle before it disappears.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

jackieo wrote:Since we already have two fantastic reviews. I will just say that this is so incredibly lovely. I will be ordering a full bottle before it disappears.
What Jackie said :grin:
From the description "romantic" and "sophisticated" pretty much say it all.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

I'm glad I went ahead and got a full bottle of this. I'm still finding that it defies my efforts to describe it in concrete terms, but it is just a lovely, classic-perfumy kind of fragrance. I've finally learned not to try to huff my arm but to just let it waft around me gently. (Not my arm, lol, but Flower.) It is what my grandmother used to call "quietly elegant." Not super-sweet or aggressive in any way--just a little wistful, perhaps, or contemplative. And quietly elegant.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

This is another one. I'm fortunate someone (thank you, Petticoats!) sent me a decant or I would not have tried it. I use words like "lovely" "gorgeous" "beautiful" to describe scents, especially Possets, so much that I'm kind of afraid that they begin to lose their meaning. Some adjectives shouldn't be used lightly, and I try not to. But damn! This is lovely, classy/classic, elegant... I could go on.
Anyway, I'm in a tight place with deciding which of this collection I must (can) purchase before they disappear.
Yeah, Middle Class White Girl Problems. (I think the more PC phrase is "First World Problems" but I am not known for being PC and I think my term is more accurate. So bite me.)
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

I'm happy to have contributed to your painful dilemma, Boudicca. :grin: It really is lovely, and in such a subtle way. There's another word I should have used. Subtle.

Dang, now I'm wondering if I'll need a backup...!