Sophie (OAR Cat, Yule 09)

I have created a number of limited edition perfumes to benefit the Ohio Alleycat Resource (OAR) and their mission to help feral and stray cats all over Cincinnati. They do wonderful work and a generous portion of the proceeds from the sale of these blends goes to OAR. Here is where you will find reviews of my OAR perfumes which did not go Permanent and return periodically. They are wonderful, magical blends.

Moderator: Maya

whiskerwing
archangel
archangel

Post by whiskerwing »

When all of the ingredients blend together and are in perfect harmony and the blend smells almost like incense but there is no incense in it, then I would say it is a success. A very dry and woody vanilla, rosemary, with a hint (and I mean a hint) of apple. All of those ingredients blend together very well indeed. Deeply unisex, inexplicably sexy, fresh, though it is gourmandy it isn't cloying or foody.

What a remarkably elusive scent!

I get the incense - just a little. It doesn't smell like AN incense, so much as it just has that spiciness to it. Before reading the description, I was going to say it had a fascinating dollop of pepper to it.

What of the vanilla? It's very light, very understated. This isn't a foody vanilla, but rather a pale hint of sweetness.

What of the rosemary? The incense has more than a suggestion of woodsy herbs to it, but this doesn't smell like my hands do when I prune my rosemary.

What of the apple? Sadly, I don't get much if any apple from this - the spice of the incense really takes over. Perhaps a bit of wetness to the scent? Something to keep it from being dry, giving it a bit of depth?

This will hugely appeal to those who like the incense-style scents. It's not deeply enough any of the three main components listed by fabienne to be sweet, foody, or herbal, but somehow the combination is really quite striking.

Also, straight out of the bottle it had an almost unpleasant perfuminess to it (bear in mind, I like the foody scents!) but the drydown is amazing, even for me. Not my normal fare by a long shot, but I'm very glad I tried it.
pytra
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by pytra »

... and the oil is green!!
Morbane
primordial
primordial

Post by Morbane »

I had a hard time picking out notes from this the first time I tried it. About the only clear scent was a lovely caramel - not super-sweet or too gooey, but very warm and mellow. It was only in trying it today that the rosemary leapt out - and now it's impossible to ignore! It's a sharper rosemary than in the Limoncello - so what you have is the slightly bitter herb mellowed out by a really gentle caramel. Curious.

The scent doesn't have a lot of throw, but it does last for a while on my skin.
MollyG
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by MollyG »

I wish I got what you all do from Sophie. :sad: The apple really dominates on me, with just the slightest suggestion of herbs. Apple is a very hard-to-wear note, IMO... but I decided to give Sophie a shot because the vanilla/rosemary combination sounded lovely, and the apple was described as minimal. But when I wear it, it's a little like being hit in the face with a big sack of apples. Sadly, not for me.

Curiously, I get more vanilla and rosemary (and less apple) straight from the bottle. I might try this as a room scent.
wl552
powers
powers

Post by wl552 »

Had to nab some OAR kitties before they went away. Sophie was in the first round order which I just pulled out of the mailbox.

Wow! This one is very elusive as whiskerwing said. It does have an incense type vibe to it which I love. There's almost a green feel to it, but it's tempered by a warmness. Yee, I'm having trouble pinning this down! But it's a lovely scent. Very cheerful; one can wear very easily. It leans slightly toward a fall scent, but I am going to wear this year round.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I'm so enamored of this scent, I had to order another bottle before it went away. It's that special. And when I was making my atomizer last night I got to see the color: LOVE IT!
whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

Post by whiskerswhispers »

Sophie
In vial: oh, this is pretty. It smells like apple sweets, but in a really nice way. The oil is green!
On skin: is that rosemary? I think it is-it’s a really interesting and unusual note in this scent of sweet apples and vanilla custard. It reminds me a bit of lavender in here, a soothing balmy green scent, herbal but not culinary. The vanilla is glorious, it has wonderful custard like richness, but doesn’t smell cloying or buttery or plastic. And the apple-this is a note that often turns bad on me, but in here the vanilla softens it and makes it very appealing. The apple smells like apples-not plastic, wilted flowers, or sourness. This scent is actually almost like a twin to Michelle-this has a similar feel but with apple instead of pear. I can see why it’s described as almost like incense too-it’s a tiny bit smoky. Another one of those scents that feels and smells like a bottled hug, and one of those scents that mixes fruit and vanilla to make the fruit smell fuzzy and cosy, but the rosemary is such a unique touch, it really adds a soothing and balancing effect, makes it different from your usual sweet apple scents. I’m glad I got a bottle.
Sinmara
mortal
mortal

Post by Sinmara »

oh my word, that is a wonderful scent! It dries to a wonderful delicate apple scent, that is still going strong after a few hours.

Such a shame it's not permanent, I'd love to have a bottle of this.
sophienet
a spark
a spark

Post by sophienet »

Oh I'm so sad that I've missed it!
The description is really nice and I would have loved a posset named after me ;)
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

Oh wow, this goes through so many changes on me.....at first it is apples and spice, if I hadn't read the notes I would have guessed at allspice or clove, but just a tiny drop! Shortly after it becomes more herbal, aaah must be the rosemary, but it's not that strong, cooking type ! This stage lasts for a while, but eventually the vanilla begins to surface, although the main fragrance I get is still apples. The vanilla is just grounding it, yes ever so slightly like vanilla custard. This is a real morpher on me, very apple-y but has a depth to it so I don't just feel like I've smothered myself in pie (not a foody fan). Very nice indeed....:Smitten_emoticon:
ElizabethOSP
mortal
mortal

Post by ElizabethOSP »

Spicy appley incensey LOVE!!! I adore this scent. I got my own bottle first...then got some for my 8 yr. old Sophie for Yule, and she loves it too! :1shimmykitty: Will be giving some to my Mom for Valentine's Day. WOOT!