Eloise (OAR Cat - Yule 2010)

I have created a number of limited edition perfumes to benefit the Ohio Alleycat Resource (OAR) and their mission to help feral and stray cats all over Cincinnati. They do wonderful work and a generous portion of the proceeds from the sale of these blends goes to OAR. Here is where you will find reviews of my OAR perfumes which did not go Permanent and return periodically. They are wonderful, magical blends.

Moderator: Maya

critterfriend
archangel
archangel

Post by critterfriend »

Description from the Possets website: "Eloise was found out in front of a famous Cincinnati restaurant and in honor of her culinary beginnings, I had to make a foodie blend but I wanted it more of the suave feel you get from entering a fine dining establishment rather than smelling like "food". So, I have put together coffee and apples which make me revel in the season of autumn or early winter, the back drop of a bit of cream and butter, combined with the merest hint of a myrtle (like a sprig of thyme being roasted in the oven along with a nice piece of roasting board). It is an aromatic blend with a sweet overtone but not a candy sweet blend. The coffee is subtle but it is there and is does add the needed harmony to the entire melange. Elegant and smooth. An OAR benefit fragrance."

(I'll preface by saying that I'm new to perfumes, & to reviewing them. My nose isn't very discerning of individual notes, & I seem to have a skin chemistry which isn't very cooperative with certain things (any type of milk almost always turns to sharp powder on me, & vanilla musk tends to go powdery on me, too), & which turns many blends into something that doesn't resemble anything like the notes listed. *sigh* I also have sinus/allergy issues that interfere with my enjoyment of some blends (many florals & berries/red fruits give me an instant headache, & some of the sweeter/buttery scents will make me queasy). Hopefully, though, people with similar issues might be able to find my reviews helpful. Now, on to my review...)

Origin: ordered from Possets

Date Purchased: Nov 2010

Wet: buttery apples, coffee

Drydown: buttery apples, a more subtle coffee

Later: same as in the drydown, it hasn't morphed much

Thoughts: Eloise is really good!! Basically, it's a very grown up apple scent on me. The coffee is less prevalent than I had expected, but it seems to give the apple a more sophisticated feel than it would normally have. An added bonus -- the cream doesn't turn to powder on me. This is a yummy, yummy scent with decent throw & staying power.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I don't know what happened, but Eloise does not like me. Apple scents and coffee usually rock on me. I thought this one was a no brainer. I thought, oh, coffee like Pauline but with apples instead of marigolds. The apples smell very strange on me like a fake apple with caramel coated in nuts, and no coffee at all. My skin makes it smell like a cheap air room freshner. There is a very strange high strung sour note to it all as well. I am so sad, my chemistry totally messes this up.
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

Eloise did not like me either. The apples smell like cider or juice more than fresh apples to me, and with the butter and cream, it all ends up smelling like Peach Hi-C and something nutty on me. It was VERY sweet, ripe and fruity and heavy/cloying. Guess this one is very dependant on your personal chemistry - though it shouldn't surprise me, I've never found an apple scent that agreed with me.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
wl552
powers
powers

Post by wl552 »

Wearing Eloise today...

Without knowing what the notes were, I would've swore it was peaches as well. I guess apple+coffee=peaches. >.<

That being said, it's a wonderfully juicy, delicious scent on me. I'm quite taken with it. It's definitely a good one for these hot summer days when I prefer light florals and juicy fruits. :)
critterfriend
archangel
archangel

Post by critterfriend »

I agree, Eloise is a very juicy scent -- juicy & fresh. And I LOVE it!! It's so yummy!! I'm going to have to wear it again soon & see if I can pick up on the peaches that you guys are smelling. I've always smelled buttery apples from it in the past, but who knows now that it's so hot outside (99 degrees Farenheit here yesterday -- uugh)...
Ajila
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Ajila »

A bright, punchy mulled apple scent with myrtle and coffee twisting around a core so buttery I'd say it was pastry.
chinacat
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Eloise (OAR Cat - Yule 2010)

Post by chinacat »

It would be hard to choose a favorite OAR Kitty scent, but this one is definitely a beauty. I smell fresh coffee and Golden Delicious apples. There is also an autumn floral in there that makes me think of chrysanthemums and damp earth. It is elegant, not too sweet, and a little bit somber, too.
A bonus:My bottle had one of the old-style labels with a picture of Eloise on it. She is as beautiful as her scent. I understand the reasons for switching to a uniform Possets label, but I did like having the pictures of the OAR kitties, because they are all so adorable. :catpump: