Sam

I have created a number of limited edition perfumes to benefit the Ohio Alleycat Resource (OAR) and their mission to help feral and stray cats all over Cincinnati. They do wonderful work and a generous portion of the proceeds from the sale of these blends goes to OAR. Here is where you will find reviews of my OAR perfumes which did not go Permanent and return periodically. They are wonderful, magical blends.

Moderator: Maya

Catsmeow
preternatural being
preternatural being

Sam

Post by Catsmeow »

Description on website: "Sam-glossy as an appleskin and quite the hedonist, this perfume is a portrait of that little gentleman. It's as if he rolled in all the goodies you love at Halloween and then curled up to sleep on a mound of crisp apples. No licorice but very very toothsome. Half of all sales from the O'Bryonville Animal Rescue blends go directly to OAR. The do excellent things for feral and abandoned cats in need. They are a great no kill shelter in Cincinnati which finds many homes for so many great cats."

I LOVE SAM!!!

This perfume is adorable, just like the cat. I like it much more on the skin than in the bottle, which is what counts! When wet, you expect it to be a predominantly chocolate scent, but it transitions quickly once applied.

I envision a basket of ripe fall fruits, a smattering of dried fruits, and something very deep and grounding in the background (resins, dark chocolate shavings, and a touch of wood). The description mentions crisp apples, but I'm not picking up on too much of them (thank goodness, because I'm turning against apple notes in perfume lately!). If there is an apple, it's a beautiful, big, red, glossy candy apple, more for show than for taste! Everything here is in perfect, subtle balance - nothing dominates or overwhelms, and the blend is not cloyingly sweet. As the perfume dries on the skin, the most wonderful melange of scents emerges! Simply gorgeous, Fabienne!

:flameing_pumpkin:
sfisher323
preternatural being
preternatural being

Sam

Post by sfisher323 »

Need a bottle. This is lovely! It's sweet and crisp candy apple on me, with something keeping it from being cloying in the background. After it starts to dry, I get less apple and more a mix of fall fruits. Bright and sweet, but not too much so, and oh-so-perfect for a fall pick-me-up!
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sam

Post by fabienne »

It is a highly irregular thing for a perfumer to write a review of their own creation, after all I get to write the description when I make it so that should be my one and only shot. However, Sam really deserves another assessment because I hadn't discovered this one fully before putting it out among you.

In the bottle it is a pleasant chocolatly-licorice blend which I would describe as foody but not edible. However, when it goes on your skin it changes a great deal. All of the ingredients start to interact with each other and a spice note knits the whole thing together BUT the whole becomes a lot more attractive than the sum of the parts. There is the magic of combination here, a reason for making perfume since the end result is so much better than the combination of its parts.

Sam isn't overwhelming, it's well behaved but lasts for hours. It's unisex, not out of place on a man or woman. There is a hint of foodiness about it but overall it is a "perfumy" good smell and would not be mistaken for a "hidden apple" or "caramel pop". At times Sam veers into floral territory (!) but you can't say what kind of flower. It changes a great deal in the course of it's "life" on your skin, and the phases it goes through are attractive and distinct.

I am sorry that I didn't pay strict attention to Sam when I made it up, and just tested it and found it good. Sam is a gem and I am very happy I stirred it up. Thanks to the O'Bryonville Animal Rescue for encouraging me to demo Sam and finally get my nose together on this one. Don't Miss Sam!
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Sam

Post by puck_nc »

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: This was the new Les Chats scent I had the most hope for, with the apples undercutting the sweet/foody candy.

In the Bottle: Ooh, that's apple-y sweet! Reminds me a bit of BPAL's Creepy.

Wet: A blast of sweet spices. Not even candy-sweet, really. I think there's a bit of chocolate in there. I'm getting almost no apple.

Drydown: Alas, there's most definitely chocolate in this. My dreams of Pippin-meets-Candy-Swag are dashed. The apple emerges some, but it's not center stage for me.

Verdict: Can't do chocolate. Must pass.
maribouquet
preternatural being
preternatural being

Sam

Post by maribouquet »

Chocolate drizzled generously over crisp apple slices. A wisp of something floral. I will call it cider flower. :)

It's going strangely boozey on me - like I've eaten a pound of chocolate washed down with apple juice and am sweating it out. Sad, sad skin chemistry. :cry:
whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

Sam

Post by whiskerswhispers »

Sam
In vial: a sort of treacle pudding smell, with apples. Not too sweet, but it is a Halloween cake scent.
On skin: the apple has come out a bit more now, and underneath it is a lovely scent of treacle cake, with just a dash of bitter cocoa. I don’t know if those notes are actually in there but that’s what I smell. the apple note isn’t turning odd, the cake note is not very sweet but it is quite smoky, and the chocolate like note is like the darkest chocolate scent ever, no sour milk here like I get with some chocolate scents. The scent does do something rather odd though a few minutes after I’ve applied it, something in there is smelling a little off to my nose, despite the lovely notes of apple and, now, some dark fruits, maybe blackberries. This strange note does seem to fade quickly, and when I smell it again a little bit later, it smells of mushy apples, or apple puree, over a slice of treacle cake, which to me is a very Halloween-y dessert. There’s a hint of cinnamon here too at this point, and maybe some currants too. But eventually the scent becomes pretty much all apples, with a dash of spices. And it’s a nice soft apple it has a fluffy, whipped feel to it like some kind of apple mousse. I think I also smell a hint of caramel to it, but it’s a very light caramel, not a heavy, sticky one. I really like this scent…I’m not sure if it’s a favourite but it’s a great fun scent all round. The beginning part was nice and dark like this cat’s fur, but then it turned into something more light hearted and fruity. definitely keeping the decant.
jani04
mortal
mortal

Sam

Post by jani04 »

I started with a delicious dark spicy cake and then the apples.

But.. the chocolate came out :(

will pass this on
Aevalin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sam

Post by Aevalin »

To me Sam is the darkest chocolate with fruits - I don't totally get apple although I know it's supposed to be there. As it dries I get the tiniest twinge of licorice (and I mean tiny because I hate the smell of licorice and this doesn't put me off in the least). And I think I'm smelling candy corn?!

ETA Apparently I didn't wait long enough for the apple because it's here now!
Gale
preternatural being
preternatural being

Sam

Post by Gale »

I had a strange experience (but a good one) with Sam.

The first time I tried it on, I was sniffing my wrist, and thinking how utterly fantastic it smelled. Then it hit me: Of course it smells fantastic, because Sam smells like Madame X! Now, that's totally fine with me, but I tried it on again just to make sure. Lo--there were the apple, the chocolate, and the spices. It still smells wonderful, edible and warm.

Just curious if anyone else got a Madame X vibe from Sam.

ETA 2/23/08: Sam has aged beautifully. I'm so glad I kept him!
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sam

Post by fabienne »

I just found that Sam is really a morpher from the moment you put it on it is changing changing changing. It even amazes me, and I made it!
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!