Pauline - The Joy of Autumn (Fall 2008)

I have created a number of limited edition perfumes to benefit the Ohio Alleycat Resource (OAR) and their mission to help feral and stray cats all over Cincinnati. They do wonderful work and a generous portion of the proceeds from the sale of these blends goes to OAR. Here is where you will find reviews of my OAR perfumes which did not go Permanent and return periodically. They are wonderful, magical blends.

Moderator: Maya

Gemma
archangel
archangel

Post by Gemma »

It's been a while since I smelled Misk U but I remember it as a very creamy and sweet coffee. Pauline is much more freshly roasted, even a smidge bitter, but so rich and delicious that it melds into something really beautiful and evocative of fall. It does morph a little as it dries (some people get the chrysanthemums, for instance, others don't), which Misk U never did for me.
MollyG
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by MollyG »

I did a side-by-side comparison of Pauline with Misk U a couple of nights ago. Misk U is WAY sweeter than Pauline... sometimes Misk U is too much for me. Pauline does have a sweet/bitter quality to it, like fresh roasted coffee beans touched by a hint of cream.

In my experience, Pauline is quieter and more linear than Misk U. The scent stays fairly close to skin, and at least on me does not change much with time. I do pick up the chrysanthemums, as well as something a little buttery. Peacecat30's comment about smelling like church socials is spot-on. Very gentle, comforting coffee scent.
Soapy955
archangel
archangel

Post by Soapy955 »

You are really tempting me to order this one now!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

This is the coffee scent I have been looking for. She is perfect! Fresh ground coffee, as if I stuck my nose in the grinder ( and I am not talking stale coffee, or bitter, or stale like you spilt coffee on yourself (this is fresh). A hint of spice, cumin too maybe (not really asking you to tell me just rhetorical). The mums are in there perfectly too, not floral, just adding a touch of lightness. This smells like Autumn too. Not sweet like Misc U from BPAL. I don't know how Fabienne got real honest to goodness coffee in an oil. Wow, just wow, I tells ya.:babyleap:

Trust me, order it. Floralphobes like me rejoice, Pauline's chrysanthemums are nothing to worry about. This oil is fantastic!:Smitten_emoticon:
empi girl
mortal
mortal

Post by empi girl »

Really nice. Coffee grounds with a hint of sweetness beneath the surface, but not like sweetened coffee, more like rich cream. The earth is mild underneath, and so are the chrysanthemums. Dries down to a soft, comfortable scent, retaining the barest edge of coffee in it. I'm very happy to have a bottle of this!
rachel2205
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by rachel2205 »

I got this in a swop. It's a VERY dark black coffee - quite rich and a little bit bitter. It softens down into something a bit more mellow. If you like coffee scents, this is definitely for you!
ivy_fiddlefox
archangel
archangel

Post by ivy_fiddlefox »

I got this as a decant a while back. When I first tried it, I thought it was nice, but i wasn't crazy about it. Now testing it again (even with a stuffy nose) the scent has grown on me and I think I will be getting a bottle of this instead of the yule for this order before it is gone.There's definitely coffee to it first, and yes it is kinda like iced coffee for some reason. Like I said this probably isn't the best time to review as my nose it stuffed up but I hardly ever get to making reviews anyway. there's definitely a fall vibe to it and I love the fall (well I loved it more when i lived where the season actually changed). It does die down pretty fast though.
rachel2205
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by rachel2205 »

This is a little addition that might be useful to those of you who've tried coffee scents by a few people.

Today I decided to wear both Arcana's Caffeinated Death and Pauline as a kind of contrast! I really like both, but they are definitely distinct coffee scents. On me at least, Caffeinated Death is a much sweeter coffee - not milky, but maybe with a DASH of milk that just softens it slightly. Pauline is a very strong espresso on me, with that almost-but-not-quite-burned rawness to it. They definitely both wake you up! Anyway, I thought that might be useful if anyone was thinking "what sort of coffee is this?"
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

Coffee - dark but creamy, a great latte. The floral and spices are subdued but make the scent richer. This one does not last more than a hour on my skin, but I ADORE it. I'll have to find a bottle of this!! Is Pauline still waiting for adoption? Please tell me this is not gone forever!
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

She is not yet adopted and there is the Bring 'em Back event which will happen at Possets in August. That is when scents are brought back whether they are in season or not or anything else.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!