Jessica (OAR Cat - Autumn 2009)

I have created a number of limited edition perfumes to benefit the Ohio Alleycat Resource (OAR) and their mission to help feral and stray cats all over Cincinnati. They do wonderful work and a generous portion of the proceeds from the sale of these blends goes to OAR. Here is where you will find reviews of my OAR perfumes which did not go Permanent and return periodically. They are wonderful, magical blends.

Moderator: Maya

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

Jessica is a beautiful cat with almost human eyes. I decided to make her fragrance a high contrast formula. Bittersweet combination of sharp greens (nettle) and dark bitter chocolate combined with an excellent aged vetiver. It sounds like a weird combination but it actually takes the liquor like parts of chocolate which go so well with the essence of green stems. A faint whiff of natural bass note rounds it out and gives it a smell which somehow goes perfectly with a nice clear day in early autumn. A refreshing surprise.

Jessica starts off with the same rich dark chocolate that is in The Awakening Conscience. A higher, greener herbal note trills above the deep chocolate, which I assume is the nettle. It's a very lovely, perfumey juxtaposition. I don't know what vetiver smells like, but usually blends that contain vetiver smell acrid or sharp to me, but this one does not. There is a faint touch of something almost like anise/absinthe to this one as well. It does have an outdoorsy feel to it, cool and almost earthy from the dark chocolate.

In full drydown, the green "high" scent calms down a bit more to smell something like lime, and this is really really complex and beautiful. It almost has a feeling of forest, deep and dark and sort of mysterious... without a pine note. I get the liquor-esque aspect of the chocolate that Fabienne mentions now as well. This is well rounded and blended. I'm not sure I could identify notes if I didn't have a description. I'd have guessed there was tobacco in here, and maybe some anise.

This could be unisex - I think Jessica would be great on my DH, though how to get a man to try a scent called Jessica?
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
MollyG
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by MollyG »

Ooh!! Gypsyjolie, thank you for the review. Jessica sounds beautiful.
1TrueEarthMama
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by 1TrueEarthMama »

This is absolutely an acquired taste and it is also quite beautiful. Wet and in the bottle you can smell the greens, about fifty fifty with the chocolate, but ten minutes in the throw is a beautiful pure, but not cloying chocolate, and up-close it is blades of freshly mown grass, with a dropped candy bar melting over it in the late after noon sun. I described it to a friend as extremely high quality Belgian or Swiss chocolate coated dandalian stems, where the intent is to eat the chocolate off of the stem, but not to eat the actual stem. It's just there for infused flavor and intrigue value. I know it sounds weird as heck, but it is amazing. Many chocolate fragrances smell over-powering and make those around me nausious over time, but this one does not. My fiance says he couldn't smell the green note, he just noticed that the chocolate smelled really sophisticated and not sicky sweet. Thank you Fabienne for such a cutting edge scent. I adore it. Now, when is Retour happening again? rofl I think I will need another bottle of this. No, wait, erm, are the Halloween kitties still up? Me thinks not, but will go and check anyway, just for kicks, and if not, will eagerly pray for a Retour De Possets next summer. This is deffinitly two bottle worthy.
samcalam
principalities
principalities

Post by samcalam »

You are in luck- it is still up!!!:babyleap:
samcalam
principalities
principalities

Post by samcalam »

Absolutely beautiful- on my skin starts out rich dark chocolate then melts into the greeness- have you ever gardened with cocoa bean mulch? It took me right back to the late spring- gardening then putting lots of cocoa beans on the garden- smells soooo good. In the scent locket I get beautiful dark chocolate for hours!!:Smitten_emoticon:
coconutcream
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by coconutcream »

wow green chocolate love this, in the bottle it smells like nutty chocolate, then wet on skin smells like grassy green mlk chocolate, then on dry down it mellows out to a milk chocolate.
:Smitten_emoticon:
catfores09
a spark
a spark

Post by catfores09 »

i just got this one(my daughter is called jessica) and i adore it. such a lovely scent that lasts for hours
critterfriend
archangel
archangel

Post by critterfriend »

(I'll preface by saying that I'm new to perfumes, & to reviewing them. My nose isn't very discerning of individual notes, & I seem to have a skin chemistry which isn't very cooperative with certain things (any type of milk almost always turns to sharp powder on me, & vanilla musk tends to go powdery on me, too). I also have sinus/allergy issues that interfere with my enjoyment of some blends (many florals give me an instant headache, & some of the sweeter/buttery scents will make me queasy). Hopefully, though, people with similar issues might be able to find my reviews helpful. Now, on to my review...)

Origin: ordered from Possets

Date Purchased: November 2010

Wet: chocolate & geenery -- a bit odd

Drydown: chocolate liqueur (reminds me just a bit of Guffaw, which I LOVE)

Later: still the yummy chocolate liqueur (I can also still detect a subtle hint of greenery if I sniff closely)

Thoughts: I really like this (in fact, I just placed an order for a backup 10ml bottle)!! Because of the nettle, it's very different, but it still has the yummy Possets chocolately goodness that I adore. I did a side-by-side comparison with Guffaw, & at certain stages they are similar, but Jesica seems creamier & a little less perfumy to me. Very nice!!
Boudicca

Re: Jessica (OAR Cat - Autumn 2009)

Post by Boudicca »

This reminds me a bit of Ego, but the chocolate is darker and it seems more fresh/clean though one would not describe it as a fresh/clean scent. It's the green thing, as opposed to lavender. Not sweet. Really nice.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Boudicca

Re: Jessica (OAR Cat - Autumn 2009)

Post by Boudicca »

Wanted to add:
I compared to Ego when I got home. They aren't really that* similar. It's not a case of if you have one you don't need the other, but if you like one you'll probably like the other.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds