Honey Tongued Devils

Take a walk on the wild side with dark musky resins and blends not of this world beautiful. It pays to be wicked.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Honey Tongued Devils

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "The sweetest dark and aged patchouli, clove and the scent of fall leaves rush up against a glorious thick golden musk for a perfect autumn scent which is sure to seduce you, or is that you seducing someone else without a word?"
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Boudicca

Re: Honey Tongued Devils

Post by Boudicca »

On initial application, this reminds me of another Posset, which of course I cannot name, but not my fav. Give it a few minutes. Much better. This is amber-y with the barest hint of clove underneath on me. Really lovely. Really.
<insert previous disclaimer here>
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Initial thoughts: This was another leap of faith, since historically I haven't clicked with many patchouli fragrances--but some of the Possets I love contain patchouli, so maybe this one also will work on me.

In bottle: Wow, strong stuff! Reminds me a little of Inferno, whereas I was anticipating something a little more smooth and low-key. Exciting, though!

On skin: Zowie, powerful. The heat is amping up, and it’s smoothing out into a sexy whole, with the musk and the slight tang of the fall leaves tempering the prickliness of the patchouli and clove. Wowser. I was expecting more of a Colin Firth and am getting more of a Daniel Craig. Not that that's a bad thing, lol.

Drying down: It’s gentling down a little, the leaf impression coming to the fore. A wonderful fall-y fragrance with a sexy tang, almost unisex. The patchouli makes it a dirtier, growlier fall day than Simony, but both are very fall-y.

Further dry-down: The patchouli is dominating on me, and while that isn’t my favorite note, the other elements harmonize really well with it and make a great accompaniment. The leafy notes are still present and very appealing.

On me this is very powerful, probably more than I'm comfy with for everyday use. But on the days when I feel confident enough to wear this, it'll be sensational.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I don't have a big review for this one (will do that later), but I did wear this yesterday. It is much more unisex than I expected, and I can tell you that if I was walking by a man and he had this on I would be tempted to follow him and ask him if I could lick his throat.

Wait, wait, did I just admit that out loud?!

I DID.

It still is a very wearable fragrance for women. At first application, it does remind me a little of the zinnia/marigold-ish aspect of Re--God of the Sun. It has a green edge (like plant stem, not soft green), that shifts into more of a drying leaf aspect and then blends into that golden musk. I get very little clove from this one (even on far dry down). For me, this is mostly the golden musk, that green stem edge/leaf, and a pinch of patchouli that is less of a soft supple patchouli and more of a dry and aged one.

I can see why this is named Honey Tongued Devils, because there is something about it that feels like someone is telling me sweet little lies about how fabulous I am just so they could get cozy with me later. *Waggles eyebrows
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

Definitely masculine... but I think I could wear this too.

wet: This opens with a green plant matter type scent, a bit like marigolds, sort of bitter. It begins to morph in to a fall leaves sort of scent, very natural. I can smell the patchouli peeking out.

drying: This softens nicely, with the musk and patchouli coming forward. it's still a rather dry and masculine scent, but warm and earthy and very fall.

full drydown: The clove is way off in the distance, but there. The leaf pile smell of the patchouli is very much in evidence. It's not spicy at all, as many autumn fragrances are, but earthy, almost gritty. This is rather sexy, especially on warm skin. It sweetens slightly, getting a bit of an leather-y warmth, especially in the throw. It hints at warm skin under sweaters, a tiny bit of warm woody aftershave, and the great outdoors.

I would totally snuggle into a man wearing this. It's understated and sexy, especially after some time has elapsed. This might be a Christmas gift for the husband... if I can get him through the harsh marigold opening scent.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I am really interested in this one, but I worry about the amber. Amber and I don't always get along.
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

Is there amber in this? There's patchouli for sure, and clove, and the musk (restrained for a Possets musk), and that brief bitter green note. I don't think there is any amber. It lacks the sweetness/resin-y smell of amber. This is drier, and mostly patchouli's show.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

Amber isn't a listed note here, and I didn't get any from it myself. This one turned out quite masculine, mostly the patch and yellow leaf note are what I smell. It smells great on my hubby, but the honey didn't keep it sweet enough for me.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

It's definitely patchouli-dominant on me.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I love patch! I am can only buy one, and I am really leaning toward this one. I may need to post on All Things Possets and see if my fellow Possiteres can help me narrow my list down to one.