Guilded Cloaks

Take a walk on the wild side with dark musky resins and blends not of this world beautiful. It pays to be wicked.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guilded Cloaks

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "The hypocrites are forced to wear golden cloaks which are lined with lead and so they go about with unbearable weight on their souls though they look lovely "without". Here I have mixed the sweetest side of flowers with the sharp and sere side of sandalwood, a sliver of white sharp musk, and an emollient outer note of cocoa wax. A pretty unforgettable and unusual blend."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Guilded Cloaks

Post by Petticoats »

Source: Decant from Ajevie

Initial thoughts: I'm a little concerned about the "sharp" musk, but everything else sounds lovely.

In bottle: Ohmygosh, beautiful! Sweet, delightful, light, but not too-too floral.

Wet on skin: I know it's not listed, but I think I'm getting a honey note. I’m also getting the “sharp” note now, but it’s not spoiling the scent for me. The cocoa wax (and maybe sandalwood, though I can’t pick it out yet) is a mellowing influence. The flowers hover like a lovely, sweet veil over it. There’s almost an aquatic note.

Drying down: Getting even more beautiful. I could still swear there's a whiff of honey in it, which I really like. I think I’m getting some sandalwood now, a wonderfully warm and attractive background. This would be just as beautiful in spring and summer as it is in the fall—I think it’s gentle enough that it would be perfectly appropriate in warmer seasons.

Further drying down: A softer, more mellow fragrance than it started. I actually prefer it once it dries down and the florals ease a bit.

Overall: This will be another full-bottle purchase for me! Such a pretty and uplifting fragrance.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

The cocoa is VERY strong on me, but it's not quite in the foody chocolate territory. It's very smooth and has added dimension from the musk and flowers, and like Petticoats, I thought I got a whiff or two of honey!
Hmm, it was very beautiful at first, but as it dries it's gone a bit funky......there seems to be a battle going on between the flowers and the other components, all wanting to assert themselves causing a bit of a riot of fragrance........

On full drydown this is lovely- now the florals and the cocoa have both backed off it comes together as a cohesive blend- I can smell yummy musk, accented with small amounts of cocoa, floral and sandalwood, it's actually quite a perfumey blend.

I can imagine Guilded Cloaks might be quite different on other people, it seems like certain components might amp on different days or skin chemistry. I really like it but need to wear it for a day to get it's full effect not just as a tester on my hand.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I'm testing this one today and I loved the initial opening so much I thought this might be a contender for the vote. However, as it went along, I wasn't so sure. I am testing side by side with Mordred's Passion so I may have to test this alone to see how it goes along by itself.

At first application: this goes on with chocolate (a smooth rounded chocolate), a hint of lime, and a touch of creaminess that seems to be coming from a floral source and not a food source.

As it dries, the chocolate becomes more powdered cocoa. The lime fades down to lurk under the base as a note to help keep this from being too sweet. The sandalwood drifts gently forward--and this is a super smooth sandalwood, no rough patches or hard resins.

As it dries further, I'm getting a bit of funk that I think is what lulu experienced. It seems to be a small clash between the cocoa and some other note (maybe that limeish thing doing something weird). The funk disappears rather quickly though, so that's a good thing.

Dry down: this becomes a perfume that's pretty heavy on the chocolate for me. I tend to not get into the chocolate scents because some have gone to plastic on me, but this one never went to plastic and it's a very enjoyable fragrance. I also get the honey aspect others mentioned, and I think that plays well with the chocolate. Some floral notes lurk around in the background, but never get above a gentle murmur for me. (No screaming florals here.) This is a great perfume if you are looking for a gourmand vibe without going totally chocolate foodie.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!