The Rents of Office

Take a walk on the wild side with dark musky resins and blends not of this world beautiful. It pays to be wicked.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Rents of Office

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "Here is where those who lined their pockets while in public office are. I would say that nowadays, this part of the Inferno should be packed! Well, that is nothing too new. To illustrate the fate of those who rented their offices, I have come up with a very rich blend to sweeten you! A high keyed green fig is put together with a very brown and strong Eastern musk and resin classic accord, and crusted over with a pink Western musk. I am very pleased with this one, makes me feel very important!"
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: The Rents of Office

Post by Petticoats »

Initial thoughts: I took a leap of faith with Rents, as well as some of the other Halloween Inferno scents. In the past, fig has tended to misbehave on my skin, but I crossed my fingers that the "high keyed green fig" here wouldn't trample over the other notes.

In bottle, smooth, sweet; I’m getting the fig, but everything else is balanced so well I can’t really pick out other notes, except perhaps for the pink musk, which to my nose seems to have a fruity, happy, playful quality. Here it’s not taking over, though—at least, not in the bottle—unlike my experience with The Temptress and Alisoun. This is very pretty and I’m looking forward to test-driving it.

Wet on skin: bright with the pink musk, cheerful. The resin is giving it some maturity and depth. I think I’m getting a whiff of the tamarind too, delightful, almost floral.

Drying down: Oh, delightful! Sweet and feminine with a hint of fruitiness but gently spiced. This would be wonderful for days when you want something sweet and feminine that isn’t teenagery. It’s so perfectly balanced, no danger of being overpowering (and fig fragrances are often overpowering on me); I can imagine men being very attracted to this fragrance on a woman--like, bury-his-face-in-her-neck attracted--and I can see it becoming a wardrobe staple for me when I want to feel pretty and irresistible but don’t feel up to a big “statement” fragrance.

Continuing to dry down: The resin and musks (almost a spice/incense note too?) give the fruity sweetness a depth and richness that I haven't found previously in fragrances with pink musk, and an understated sexiness as well. It's behaving almost like a skin scent for me, really inviting.

Unless I feel markedly different on my solo trial, I think this will be a big-bottle-backup buy for me. On me I think this could be a year-round fragrance, but depending on how much others amp the deeper, richer notes, you may want to save it for cooler weather. It's another Possets beauty. :pom:
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Mmmmm this sounds wonderful.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Maya wrote:Mmmmm this sounds wonderful.
It is! At the very least, you should try a decant! I can see myself reaching for this one again and again, long past Halloween.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Green fruit, sweet resins and musk. Bright and cheerful is a good description.
What Petticoats said. :hug:
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

wet: bright sweet green fig (almost kiwi-esque) and candy-like pink musk. Girly.

drying: Ah, here come the resins to age this up a little. This went from smelling cheap to expensive in a snap. Still sweet but deeper and richer. I think I can smell the tamarind and its sour brown smell, adding to complexity.

full drydown: I'm not getting the brown musk - the pink candy (almost bubblegummy) musk is mostly overwhelming the other scents. This one feels disjointed on me - like there is a woman's perfume underneath and this little girl's perfume on the top, that is drowning out the resins. Maybe aging will bring this scent into better alignment. To be honest, I think I remember feeling this way about every scent Fabienne puts pink musk in, so maybe this is a personal preference.

This stays sweet and cheerful and candied for quite a while. It's got throw too.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Out of all of the bottles I have from this collection, this is the one I keep turning to.

It is, as has been noted above, cheerful and that has been very appealing to me lately (which is funny because this is the time of year that I want the deeper, the resins, the darker--and here I am leaning toward cheerful).

This starts out as what I'd call a high-end cotton candy on me. I can definitely see the pink that has been mentioned above, but something in there has a little bit of grit and roughs it up from being too sweet or too girly.

I had totally forgotten what went into this one, so without the notes this is what I get:

High-end cotton candy with that grit and a touch of very clean cotton (or maybe something that is like sandalwood without being sandalwood).

Then it immediately begins to shift away from that. The sweetness immediately drops down some notches and something that reminds me of the Japanese incense (but much softer) rises up a bit.

A tiny touch of something green threads through the incense and the sweetness begins to return but in a lower pitch.

It shifts around some more, leaning more toward that incense-y/cotton note (clean vibe, and bright) but still playing around with the sweet pinkness.

The more I wear this (and I can't stop wearing it), the more I love it. I think it would be a perfect fragrance to get younger women into higher end perfumes--it starts as sweet and doesn't get too crazy, but it definitely would open the nose a bit more toward something that isn't threatening but that dries down to something a bit more than what's out there.

On the other hand, it has something that is perfectly wearable for any age woman who wants something bright and cheerful, but that isn't foody or too sweet or trying too hard to be cheerful (if that makes sense). This is simply happiness without demanding, "Hey look at me!" Having said that, every time I've worn it, I've had very decent throw for hours and hours. It's present without being intrusive. It's happy. It's charming. And it has that tiny little gritty edge that makes it so much more than soft and sweet.

It's straight up pretty and happy and the world needs more of that these days. :hrt::