Simony-The Art of Buying Holy Office

Take a walk on the wild side with dark musky resins and blends not of this world beautiful. It pays to be wicked.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Simony-The Art of Buying Holy Office

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "Buying a bishopric or a huge indulgence was a wicked thing to do in the Renaissance and it was all too common. Buying your way into heaven was an expensive proposition. This perfume of salvation for sale is rich with the tang of sandalwood, the kick of grapefruit and a backdrop of the fine yellow leaf scent of autumn. This is a pretty magical blend, as befits something named after Simon Magus' special passion."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Simony-The Art of Buying Holy Office

Post by Petticoats »

Initial thoughts: I don't think I've ever tried a grapefruit fragrance, and I don't usually seek out citrus fragrances, but all the rave reviews about the grapefruit fragrances from the Sacred Geometry line (which I missed) have awakened my interest. I am very fond of sandalwood and curious to see how it interacts with the grapefruit--and the yellow leaf / leaf mold / autumn musk notes sound inviting.

In bottle: This is lovely! I'm definitely getting the tang of grapefruit, but it’s an autumnal fragrance, not sharp or springtime-bright. Almost more of a smolder, but a bracing one.

On skin: Tangy but with that beautiful rich surround that grounds it in deeper notes. This is sort of like a brisk walk on a crystalline fall day. The richness of the sandalwood and leaf mold/musk is a gorgeous foundation for the zingy grapefruit.

Drying down: This is so appealing. I’m not generally a citrus fan, but the grapefruit works so well with the other elements. I love the way this evokes the energy of fall (fall is the most energizing season to me) and the fragrance of autumn days and nights. I think I’m going to enjoy this tremendously. :leaves:
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

This should definitely be getting more love! The grapefruit in this is not tart or bitter, it almost has a passionfruit vibe to it but it's not a summer perfume.......If you think you have tried predictable old grapefruit, think again with this one!
I can't really distinguish the other notes but it's very well-rounded and has an autumnal feel to it without delving into spices, pumpkin and cider. So pretty and I really don't have anything like it in my collection :hrt:: :hrt::
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

wet: mmmm zingy red sweet/tart grapefruit! So bright and happy!

drying: The grapefruit is very fruity and somehow softer than grapefruit actually smells. No sharpness, just fuzzy tartness and an almost tropical fruit sweetness. Not candy-like at all.
This scent is rich and I think it's the sandalwood that is helping with the fuzzy softness grounding the grapefruit. This is a decadent scent.

full drydown: Very pretty. The fruitiness scales way back after 20 minutes and the musk makes things soft without being powdery. But it is undeniably fruity (almost mango or passionfruit-ish) with a hazy sunshine-yellow musk and the sandalwood. This feels like perfect golden Indian Summer autumn afternoons under blue skies. This is a comforting scent, and feminine, but soft and glowing. Sort of innocent or nostalgic. Decent throw and longevity.

I'm all about this sandalwood - reminds me of Field of Reeds but girlier.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Angewl
mortal
mortal

Post by Angewl »

I wanted to like this scent, but it's just too masculine for me. :P
It's nice at first when the grapefruit is dominant, but it goes away pretty fast and leaves (no pun intended > w o) the leaf and sandalwood combination behind, resulting in a scent that I could imagine a boy wearing. There are some masculine scents that I love to wear but this just won't be one of them. :lilwitch:
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

More and more love for this......when I put it on this morning there was more sandalwood present with the grapefruit. All day I have been getting wafts of this beauty, for me this is so feminine and pretty :hrt:: :hrt::