Flattery

Take a walk on the wild side with dark musky resins and blends not of this world beautiful. It pays to be wicked.

Moderator: Maya

User avatar
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:04 pm
Contact:

Flattery

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "Faking it can end you up in hell...but it is a honey dripping thing and magnificent while it is being enjoyed. So, I put honey and hot pepper together for a mind tingling experience and put it together with an opposite element, the bitter and fabulous chypre. The combination is unexpectedly gorgeous and, like flattery, very easy to like."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
User avatar
Petticoats
virtues
virtues
Posts: 1171
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:40 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Flattery

Post by Petticoats »

In bottle: Really interesting! I’m definitely getting the honey, but the pepper and chypre seem to be woven together in a way I never thought they could be. (I should know by now that Fabienne is magic!) I actually didn’t remember this was a chypre until I went back to look at the Possets description, although when I look for it I can catch it. Overall it’s kind of a hay-y, harvesty feeling, unusually warm for a chypre.

On skin: Mmm, warm. Smooooth but with peppery heat. Sweet and hot, melting yet peppery. Almost edible.

Drying down: With that kick of peppery heat it’ll be a fantastic warming, cheering fragrance for chilly days, but at the same time that honey note keeps it friendly and cuddle-worthy. Really unusual chypre, even more warm and friendly than Apep. I think I’m in love. :hrt::

Even if you don't usually go for chypres, if you like Possets with some heat and honey, definitely try Flattery. It's an insta-love for me. I anticipate wearing this a lot when the temperatures in Atlanta drop below 80!

(I did a brief compare-and-contrast of Flattery and The Golden Diadem in my review of Diadem, if that helps in the decision-making process.)
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
User avatar
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Flattery

Post by Maya »

Petticoats wrote:In bottle: Really interesting! I’m definitely getting the honey, but the pepper and chypre seem to be woven together in a way I never thought they could be. (I should know by now that Fabienne is magic!) I actually didn’t remember this was a chypre until I went back to look at the Possets description, although when I look for it I can catch it. Overall it’s kind of a hay-y, harvesty feeling, unusually warm for a chypre.

On skin: Mmm, warm. Smooooth but with peppery heat. Sweet and hot, melting yet peppery. Almost edible.

Drying down: With that kick of peppery heat it’ll be a fantastic warming, cheering fragrance for chilly days, but at the same time that honey note keeps it friendly and cuddle-worthy. Really unusual chypre, even more warm and friendly than Apep. I think I’m in love. :hrt::

I really can't say enough how much Fabienne has won me over to chypres. I liked them before (depending on the perfumer), but Fabienne's are so much more approachable. It's one reason this one is on my list.

As for the pepper in this one, what can you compare that to? Is it like habanero peppers (more smoky with a touch of sweet and hot) or more like jalapenos (more green and hot)? I keep wanting to try these hot pepper perfumes, but I keep hesitating. This one really called to me (due to the chypre).
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
User avatar
Petticoats
virtues
virtues
Posts: 1171
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:40 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Flattery

Post by Petticoats »

I'm a big fan of chypres, and it's so intriguing to see what variations on them Fabienne concocts, some that are even kind of stealth chypres, like this and California. Ninja chypres. :grin:

I'm not sure I can define the pepper very well, but I think I am getting a little smokiness when it's wet. It brightens as it dries down. It's... oh dear, I love it, but I can't really think what point of reference to offer to help you determine whether it's right for you. If I come up with any ideas I'll update.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
User avatar
Boudicca
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1840
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:29 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Flattery

Post by Boudicca »

Ninja chypres! My new favorite name for an alternative band.

The pepper here scared me off, I was afraid of a skin reaction. Soooo happy Petticoats sent me a sample/decant to show me the error of my ways!
The honey here is fantastic. I think it would work for those of you who have honey problems relating to cats.
The hot pepper is just right.
This also has pretty decent throw, at least at first. I've had this on my skin less than an hour but felt the need for a review for the opening at least. Oh gawd, this is good.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
User avatar
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Flattery

Post by Maya »

Boudicca wrote:The hot pepper is just right.
Is there anything you can relate it to? I'm curious about the pepper, but am so concerned about a skin reaction.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
User avatar
Boudicca
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1840
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:29 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Flattery

Post by Boudicca »

Oh, sorry, Maya! I was distracted. The pepper... it's red, not green. It's very subtle on me. Definitely hot... but not burning, and like I said, way subtle.
It's good, thus my being too distracted to answer your question at first.
It's one of those that you might catch a hint of (and that would be the pepper) at the back of your throat.
Oh geez. This one is so seducing me right now.
No skin reaction on me. And I did a fairly decent slather on the top of myforearm.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
User avatar
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Flattery

Post by Maya »

Awesome. Thanks, Boudicca!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
User avatar
Petticoats
virtues
virtues
Posts: 1171
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:40 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Flattery

Post by Petticoats »

Boudicca wrote:Ninja chypres! My new favorite name for an alternative band.
LOL! I'm always collecting fictitious band names for my writing, so I'll have to store this away. Thanks for pointing it out!
Boudicca wrote:The pepper here scared me off, I was afraid of a skin reaction. Soooo happy Petticoats sent me a sample/decant to show me the error of my ways!
The honey here is fantastic. I think it would work for those of you who have honey problems relating to cats.
The hot pepper is just right.
This also has pretty decent throw, at least at first. I've had this on my skin less than an hour but felt the need for a review for the opening at least. Oh gawd, this is good.
Yay, I've enabled another Flattery fan! This is one of those scents that really lifts my spirits. :leaves:
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
lulu
archangel
archangel
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Flattery

Post by lulu »

I normally love Fabienne's chypres but I think the pepper is really spoiling this for me. The smokiness and slight spice completely takes over the honey and chypre and kind of makes this a bit flat and one-dimensional for me.
Post Reply