Gratify and Seduce

Take a walk on the wild side with dark musky resins and blends not of this world beautiful. It pays to be wicked.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gratify and Seduce

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "This one had to be unearthly beautiful and VERY sexy. It is. a dark sweet slightly floral to incense type of a fragrance. Narcotic black Bourbon vanilla liquor opens on top of white creamy tuberose and a lick of linden blossom. The whole transcends the sum of the parts here. I wore this last night and it was very effective."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Boudicca

Re: Gratify and Seduce

Post by Boudicca »

This one got the solo test after I showered off the other 5.
In the bottle, yes, tuberose and bourbon vanilla.
Wet on skin, still tuberose and maybe some other white floral(s)?
I totally slathered this one on and be careful if you do because it is Very powerful at first.
Ok, this is really lovely tuberose, maybe a must for tuberose lovers. But on me it's very linear and I barely get any vanilla when it's on my skin.
Of course
1) It might have a little travel shock going on
2) I probably have some olfactory fatigue from testing the other 5
3) White florals and head colds - however mild- tend to be a bad combo
As I said, lovely tuberose but not overly exciting at the moment. Definitely requires further testing after a rest.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Ok, it did seem "deeper" after two or three hours. The vanilla came out more and there is a hint of linden, it's very subtle.
This one also has a pretty good throw. My hubby drives me insane. He must smell this. But he will not comment on my perfume unless I ask what he thinks. Oops. That was a tangent. But not really. Hard to ignore the throw here. Men.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Boudicca wrote:My hubby drives me insane. He must smell this. But he will not comment on my perfume unless I ask what he thinks. Oops. That was a tangent. But not really. Hard to ignore the throw here. Men.
I sometimes think it's funny what my husband says about perfume (urinal cake, for example), but I also find it useful to get his take because it indicates to me how someone who isn't used to perfume/perfume oils may perceive what I'm wearing. I'm curious what yours said. :grin:
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Like Boudicca, I'm finding that G&S gets bigger and throwier as it dries down. At first it seemed so delicate, so I kept adding more. Now it's laughing huskily at me, saying "Delicate? Girl, please!" :grin:

At first this was very soft, kind of innocent, and I was thinking it would be beautiful for a teen or young woman. But the longer it dried down, the throwier and lusher it became. I don't get a lot of the vanilla--this is more of a straightforward (but rich) floral on me--but it's extremely feminine and reminds me of springtime, for some reason.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
emilynicole
a spark
a spark

Post by emilynicole »

Quick and simple overall impression: Wearable, happy, floral, feminine.

So you are aware, my skin chemistry seems to amp sweetness these days.

Wet on skin: This is a "pink" scent to my nose and brain. I smell sweet, girly florals. There is perhaps a hint of vanilla backing it up. It is not overly sugary, but it is certainly on the sweeter end of the spectrum.
Drying: The bourbon vanilla peeks out a little bit more with the flowers. The scent remains feminine and pretty but there is also a hint of something deeper, almost, but not quite, incensey.
Dry on skin a few hours later: The bourbon vanilla is there with a soft floral, it is rich yet pretty. The scent is wearing close to my skin. I like this a lot!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I'm giving this a quick test run. I'll do a better review later.

My initial impression is that I can see how emilynicole is getting pink from it. It reminds me a little bit of Pink Cake from the permanent line, but this is less innocent. This one has some hidden rough edges and more grit than Pink Cake and as it shifts down I find this less cuddly and more intoxicating. Mmmm! The linden is amping big on me right now and I'm not finding the tuberose at the moment.

I definitely need to give this one a try all by itself so I can get all of the nuances that are playing on my skin. First impression: I want more, and I want to see how this dries down without Honey Tongued Devils poking at me. So far, I find this rather intoxicating and beautifully femme without being girly or insipid.
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

Whoah! Creamy tuberose blast, strong stuff! Wafts of delicious vanilla floating through heady white florals but a few minutes later there is an intense aroma of pure alcohol, making me smell like I have had a hard night on the turps! :huh:

Ok, that took a while to calm down, I'm getting the vanilla and tuberose combined with the linden in the background which is adding another dimension to it. Much softer now and I totally get it about the whole transcending the sum of the parts- this is turning into something interesting and I think this could be a big winner for me :pom:
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I want to give this one a review (in part because I think it needs a bit more love--it's a fantastic fragrance), and I'll be doing so without looking at the notes so I can give an assessment without anything coloring my thoughts.

In the bottle: vanilla, a floral that seems to go a bit sharp, and what comes across as a thick syrup the way Fibonacci Curve has a thick syrupy quality--almost honeyed.

On my skin: I immediately get what must be the linden blossom. It comes across as a pink flower (deep pink, not soft pink). That syrupy quality ramps up a bit and at the same time the whole scent thins out a little bit so the other notes begin to rise.

As it dries: I get a deep and sweet vanilla (but lighter than vanilla extract), something that comes across sweet like honey without being an actual honey note (same range, without the same fragrance), something that almost comes across as a tobacco bud essence (very soft vanilla pipe tobacco, maybe), a floral that almost verges on jasmine without being jasmine (to my nose it has the same lifting floral quality and a teeeensy touch of animalic without being jasmine or skanky).

As it dries further: the notes are shifting around a lot on me. The quality and tone of this one remind me of Fibonacci Curve still, without having any of the notes of Fibonacci Curve. On me, I get a similar throw and depth, although this one is several degrees lighter on the scale (the notes lift a little more). I believe this one was supposed to have tuberose in it, but I'm not getting anything that says tuberose in a loud way. If it's present, it may be part of that floral mingling around making it hard for me to really pin it down.

At times this almost comes across with a clean cotton vibe, then it immediately shifts and resolves back to floral, but it does have that clean cotton element lurking underneath that seems to be giving this a nice little edge in something that otherwise could be too smooth and overpowering.

Further drying: the tiny bit of animalic note that I got has gone away completely (it lasted maybe three minutes). The fragrance is lighter in feel, but still seems to have that thick Fibonacci Curve soft-syrup essence. It has layers that range from deep and sticking close to the skin to very light and almost ethereal. Threading through it all is a touch of white flower (I keep leaning toward jasmine, but it's not quite that). That may be the tuberose coming in, but when I compare my Carnal Flower to this (which I have compared to live tuberose flowers in the market and it was spot on), I can see where some elements may come into play but this doesn't come across as focusing on the tuberose.

Dry down: bight floral that could be headachy if slathered on too much, but lovely, inviting, wearable in dress up or dress down occasions. The vanilla helps to keep this a bit soft and sweet (not loud and roaring like some florals), but don't think this one doesn't have a voice. It does, and it knows how to use it. In some of the wafts I get, I almost get a yellow rose element, but then it quickly veers away from that and goes back to being itself--although if I sniff deeply, I still get some of that yellow rose hint.

Final verdict: rich and ranging in depth, this is a floral without being a flower bomb. It's sweet without being sugared or candied. It has a little bit of a rough edge which helps to keep it from going into squeal territory. It lifts a lot the more it dries (becomes softer and less syrupy), but there is something about it that reminds me of the rich tone of Fibonacci Curve--without being similar in notes. The vanilla is not a buttery one (on me), rather more of a supporting role of sweet and rounded, balancing with the other notes and weaving around them for a very wearable floral without killing everyone within ten feet.

This would be BEAUTIFUL on a bride on a dry and gorgeously sunny day in June (I'm picturing the contrasts of a mountain meadow filled with wild flowers and bright blue clear sky with a bride in a full dazzling white ball gown dripping with lace), but it would also be perfect for an intimate evening at home in front of a cozy fire.
stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by stellamaris »

This is really lovely and surprisingly airy, quite wearable.
It starts out for me sweet and foody, then mellows into something kind of warm and marshmallowy?