The Whirlwind of Lust

Take a walk on the wild side with dark musky resins and blends not of this world beautiful. It pays to be wicked.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Whirlwind of Lust

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "A famous passage of Francesca who commits adultery with Paolo. This circle of Hell is peopled by those who committed sins of lust and who now are caught in a maelstrom and whirl about for eternity crashing against rocks as their souls recklessly collided with forbidden love.

Black, sticky, ripe fig, cocoa nib liquor, blackest musk, strong almost choking smokey incense, a float of tears of frankincense and a jigger of bourbon. All elements of the road to Hell by way of amore!"
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Boudicca

Re: The Whirlwind of Lust

Post by Boudicca »

So far this is that lovely black musk, incense (not choking), frankincense, bit of cocoa liquor, and something tarry in a good way -- that's probably the black fig. Warm and sexy. Probably a scent that some (not I) might not wear to the office.
Disclaimer from my thoughts on the Gluttons' Delight applies here also.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

I need to add as it dries down further the incense really comes forward in this and it is damn good incense. Very "true" if that makes sense. Obviously heavier than the Japanese incense in Fibonacci Curve. Not "acrid" like Black River. Maybe a bit like the incense in Midnight Mass at St Mary's but there is enough other stuff going on in that one I can't say for sure. I was thinking maybe it was similar to CdG Avignon until I dug that out and smelled it again and they are totally different.
This is quite possibly the best incense in a fragrance that I have ever tried.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

This is wonderful! I was very worried about the smokey, strong, choking incense, but thankfully I don't get any overwhelming smokiness. The incense here is very, very good. I adore Fabienne's black musk, and it is given a fabulous turn here. The fig isn't as thick and fruity as I would have expected, not is it candied or overly sweet. The fig here is almost more of a resin. Overall this is amazingly well blended and very sexy. I can not pick out the chocolate or bourbon (another note that worried me slightly, sometimes alcohol notes are too much for me) on their own, they are just harmoniously blended into the whole. Definitely a winner!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

hill78 wrote:This is wonderful! I was very worried about the smokey, strong, choking incense, but thankfully I don't get any overwhelming smokiness. The incense here is very, very good. I adore Fabienne's black musk, and it is given a fabulous turn here. The fig isn't as thick and fruity as I would have expected, not is it candied or overly sweet. The fig here is almost more of a resin. Overall this is amazingly well blended and very sexy. I can not pick out the chocolate or bourbon (another note that worried me slightly, sometimes alcohol notes are too much for me) on their own, they are just harmoniously blended into the whole. Definitely a winner!
Yes! I also am starting to have to snag all of the black musk perfumes that come along. I'm SO glad to read your review. I really want this one.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

Giving this one a full on wearing tonight. I did find the smokiness more noticeable in the opening stage than yesterday, but it still isn't the sort of strong, acrid smokiness I was afraid of. It reminds me of the smoky quality I get in the wet stages from Cambienne: Velvet Lust. And the drydown on this is.....WOW. The throw is the perfect amount. Enough that I can smell it in my personal space, wafting around me, but not so much that I am afraid of the scent overpowering those around me. I felt this was important to mention since, at least on my skin, dark musk and resinous blends can tend to have a LOT of throw. I find this one to be the perfect balance between subtle and strong. A triumphant incense-style blend. Warm and inviting.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

hill78 wrote:Giving this one a full on wearing tonight. I did find the smokiness more noticeable in the opening stage than yesterday, but it still isn't the sort of strong, acrid smokiness I was afraid of. It reminds me of the smoky quality I get in the wet stages from Cambienne: Velvet Lust. And the drydown on this is.....WOW. The throw is the perfect amount. Enough that I can smell it in my personal space, wafting around me, but not so much that I am afraid of the scent overpowering those around me. I felt this was important to mention since, at least on my skin, dark musk and resinous blends can tend to have a LOT of throw. I find this one to be the perfect balance between subtle and strong. A triumphant incense-style blend. Warm and inviting.
Wow, I am so eager to try this! I'm just crossing my fingers that the fig behaves on my skin--that's the only real worry I have about this one. Come, decant order, hasten to me!
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

This is a powerful one indeed!

Source: Decant from Ajevie

Initial thoughts: Black fig doesn't always get along with my skin chemistry, but I hope it will this time. This sounds very dramatic, which attracts me but also makes me a little unsure about my ability to carry it off!

In bottle: Wow, strong! I get the cocoa and (frank)incense.

Wet on skin: I’m getting something a little bitey, as if it has black tea in it. At the same time it’s an exciting fragrance, and everything blends really smoothly. The incense isn't overpowering at all.

Drying down: The sweetness is still there, and a coffee note (the cocoa liquor, I imagine). This is a dark and assertive fragrance but undeniably sexy, and almost unisex. If a man wore this in my presence, I think I’d follow him just about anywhere.

Overall: I'm not sure if this is a good fit for me. When I tried it yesterday it had a bit of the coldness that fig sometimes evokes on my skin, but today it seems to have warmed up. I still think it would be magnificent on a man, or on a bold and striking woman. I think I'll need to test it further before I decide if it's going to be a FB purchase or not.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Whirlwind is quickly growing on me. Its smooth richness is really appealing, it has enough sweetness to satisfy my feminine hankerings, and the throw isn't scary big, as I'd expected. Much as with Drama Queen, a scent that I first thought would be overpowering is coming to have a very seductive allure to me! I think I may well end up needing a bottle of this, perhaps even a big one. Fabienne has created yet another triumph!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I promise to do a proper review of this later, but first impression (thanks to a sample on a q-tip from the generous and talented petticoats) is WOW! I am sorry this didn't make it to the permanents, it's amazing. I just need to wear it a bit more. It's going to be hard to decide between it and Honey Tongued Devils as my bottle purchase.