What Do You Want For Yule?

Announcements from Jennie and Tom about upcoming and current events at Possets and discussions from everyone else, too!

Moderator: Maya

fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

What Do You Want For Yule?

Post by fabienne » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:07 pm

I really want to do Portraits for Yule this year. I think that is a wonderful topic, and one where I have done considerable study and veneration. So, give me your thoughts on the subject. Another favorite time of year for me.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!

fireweaver
mortal
mortal

Re: What Do You Want For Yule?

Post by fireweaver » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:04 am

I'd be interested in how you would interpret Portrait of Renoit, by Frederic Bazille. It's charming, and I love the informality of the subject. He looks comfortable, which isn't always true in portraits. Also Winterhall's portrait of Empress Sissi, because it's soft and dreamlike and STARS! ;)

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:15 am

Oh, Freda Khalo self portraits are my favorites. Dark, sensual.

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:31 am

I don't know if it counts as a portrait but I really love Edgar Degas "Blue Dancers" The colours and composition are just so lovely.

Not what most people think of for Yule but I also love many of Frida Kahlo's self portraits, particularly "'Self Portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird'". Though given that she included alot of religious symbolism (both christian and south american/mexican indigenous) you could say it fits. Yule/christmas/winter is a very mystical time of year.

"American Gothic" is classic, dark and kind of creepy.

I also love Klimt's "Portrait Adele Bloch-Bauer"

In terms of notes, woods, smoke, clementines and mint are all things I think of strongly for winter. Sometimes earthy smells too, particularly on those winter days where there has been a flash thaw but it gets cold again and freezes. The snow isn't quite covering the ground, things smell sort of muddy but there is also that mingling of crisp winter air.

katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:38 pm

I'd REALLY love to see some Russian portraits! Especially since many of the winter backgrounds / themes will go perfectly with Yule. Fir, snow, musks, spices, winter berries...I can only begin to imagine the depth!!

For instance, "The Swan Princess" by Mikhael Vrubel. (It's the portrait of his wife in the ballet.)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... incess.jpg

For something more fun, warm and upbeat, painter Boris Kustodiev is always awesome.
Like his portrait of famous bass singer Chalyapin:
http://uploads1.wikiart.org/images/bori ... n-1921.jpg

katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Also, as it IS Yule, I'd love to see a portrait or two of Mary and Jesus - maybe two contrasting ones?

So for something fun, maybe when the two of them are playing - like Mabuse's "Madonna and Child with the Veil"? I see some cherries in there :P
http://uploads0.wikiart.org/images/mabu ... veil-1.jpg

And for something more serious, maybe something by Giotto or Duccio. I'll need to think a bit more about a serious Madonna and Child...

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:15 pm

One of my favorite portraits, although it's not called that, is Corcos’s Sogni (Dreams)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... -_1896.jpg

I love this young woman’s challenging, direct gaze. She makes me think of bright, brisk Possets like Funeral Dirge and Re, God of the Sun.

Boldini’s portrait of Cléo de Merode: http://www.wikiart.org/en/giovanni-bold ... -de-merode
Saucy, independent, chic, playful. I can imagine a very Parisian chypre/dry perfume for her, but not a heavy or darkly serious one.

I also adore Dante Gabriel Rossetti's portraits of Lizzie Siddal and Jane Burden Morris (especially the picture of her as Proserpine). https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... roject.jpg
She looks so haunted.

For notes and note combinations, I love resinous fragrances. Clara’s Party was one of my very favorites from last Christmas.

It would also be nice to have a pumpkin-lavender combination that is not spicy or foody, but plush like Arc of Venus.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Something with heavier candal wax. We do have our gorgeous Midnight Mass at St Catherine's with wax (my bottle is aging like heaven!)...but I am thinking the altar itself with more candals, heavier incense and sprigs of pine branches.

caith_possets
mortal
mortal

Post by caith_possets » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:52 pm

Something with heavier candal wax. We do have our gorgeous Midnight Mass at St Catherine's with wax (my bottle is aging like heaven!)...but I am thinking the altar itself with more candals, heavier incense and sprigs of pine branches.
Yessssssss! Beeswax is one of my favourite notes. I would love it combined with incense and something like pine or snow to cut through the heaviness.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:42 pm

The quintessential winter fruit- orange. We had Pacabel last Yule...but I am thinking orange with some kind of evergreen (oohh...sounds like a natural oil)...orange with pinon pine and palo Santo??? Or orange, vanilla and oude with hint of very light clove??? Oooooh, winter flower...carnation???