What Do You Want For Yule?

Announcements from Jennie and Tom about upcoming and current events at Possets and discussions from everyone else, too!

Moderator: Maya

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Re: What Do You Want For Yule?

Post by warriortwo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:46 am

OH, I hope I'm not too late and I think I've mentioned this before, but that Singer portrait of Miss Elsie Palmer is so disarming, I love it. And we haven't had something good and manly in a while...the portrait of Prince Leopold, a real life Mr. Darcy: https://www.hermitagemuseum.org/wps/por ... ings/39280

I second Frida Kahlo and wish my knowledge of portraits extended further than the classic European stuff because I like global-themed perfume concepts. Right now I'm very into Scandinavia and Vikings and it would be neat to have something representative of that.

EDIT: Oh, and Australia & New Zealand. That's my other non-British obsession. It's Spring there now (Summer come Christmas) and it would be fun to have a Down Under Christmas scent which is totally unlike our usual winter scents. :wink:
Last edited by warriortwo on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melian17
primordial
primordial

Post by Melian17 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:28 am

Not really related to the subject of portraits, but has there ever been a Silver Frankincense and/or Myrrh? That would be cool to have for Yule one year.

MageLocusta
primordial
primordial

Post by MageLocusta » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Ooh, wow Warriortwo--that guy definitely looks like the smouldering type! (*Daaayyuuumn*).

It's also a good idea to have a little option a scent that's versatile for spring and winter (especially since I know people that definitely live north of the Equator, but occasionally do get sick of 'wintry' scents and just want to wear something springy and fresh!) Do you have any ideas on what would make a good scent for Down Under? :3

Also a silver for this season is a good idea, Melian! Frankincense and me tend to have a complicated relationship (though I've never tried myrrh before!), I haven't tried Fabienne's frankincense notes though (but I do love silver notes!).

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:36 pm

Melian17 wrote:Not really related to the subject of portraits, but has there ever been a Silver Frankincense and/or Myrrh? That would be cool to have for Yule one year.
Ohhh, lovely idea! Silver ius so festive! Last night I gifted my bottle of Silver Sandalwood to friend who loved it (only because it is GC!!!) and we were both ooohing and awing over the amazing silvery musk dancing out of the wood. I can imagine that with Frank. Hmm...have we had Silver Oud?? Silver Coffee would be too weird, right?

Maladextrose
primordial
primordial

Post by Maladextrose » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Oh, Silver Frankincense would be amazing.

I know that there's been Nocturne and some other "Christmas tree" fragrances, but now I'm thinking about silvery evergreen/spruce with a touch of black pepper. (I'll admit that I'm addicted to the smell of Christmas trees. I am the person who gets evergreen scented everything for the holiday season.)

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:30 pm

katiushka wrote:For something more fun, warm and upbeat, painter Boris Kustodiev is always awesome.
Like his portrait of famous bass singer Chalyapin:
http://uploads1.wikiart.org/images/bori ... n-1921.jpg
Oh, that is a fantastic portrait indeed. So festive and holiday-themed as well. The French Bulldog is the icing on the cake.