Valentine Retour

Announcements from Jennie and Tom about upcoming and current events at Possets and discussions from everyone else, too!

Moderator: Maya

Tom
mortal
mortal

Valentine Retour

Post by Tom » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:52 am

Post your thoughts, recommendations, reviews, or anything else concerning this first Retour of the year! :frolic:

katiushka
archangel
archangel

Re: Valentine Retour

Post by katiushka » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:37 pm

I love Valentine's at Possets - no one does it better! While some Possets are intended for seasonal wear, these are blends I reach for all year round.

I was only around for 2015 and 2016, but I can give impressions of those. In 2016, Fabienne really outdid herself with the depth and originality of the blends. However, I would say 2015 is really special - something about them makes me reach for them again and again.

Some quick thoughts on the ones I've tried. Not full reviews - I reviewed some of these in more depth on the Reviews thread. Let me know if you'd like more details on any of these.

Legend:
- Don't like
0 Like it OK, but not full-bottle worthy for me
+ I like it enough to justify purchasing full-bottle, but I don't reach for it that often
++ I love the smell and reach for it every now and again (I do own A LOT of indie scents, so it's a fairly high bar)
+++ I love it and reach for it all the time

2015:
Bacchante (+) The patchouli adds something deeper to the grapes that makes this very interesting.
Candybox Pretty (++) I get loads of compliments on this one, including being called a seductive temptress.
Hylas and the Nymphs (++) Something different and a bit naughty when I feel in the mood to make a subtle statement.
Lavender Girl (+++) The ultimate lavender / mint scent; very comforting at bedtime.
Love Amongst the Snow Dunes (+++) Simply gorgeous; I love the lilac and mint. Both evocative and comforting.
Portrait of Christina of Denmark (+) Really good green scent, but a bit too bitter / dry for everyday wear.
Romping Skyclad (++) Another gorgeous scent. It's like 3336 Reservoir Rd with some fir in it.
Swoon (-) The rare Posset that didn't work for me. The jasmine smells like rubber in the bottle and turns skanky on my skin.
Venus of Willendorf (+++) The one and only bottle of anything I've ever finished. Buying another one this Retour!

2016:
Aspasia (-) An osmanthus soliflore. This being my first experience with the scent, maybe I just don't like osmanthus.
Augusta (-) Very astringent - I remember it smelling almost like machine oil on my skin.
Barbara Villiers (+) Gorgeously blended, creamy musk. After my two-day affair with it last year, I haven't reached for it since.
Delilah (++) The ultimate deep, woodsy fragrance.
Diane de Poitiers (-) The lavender / citrus combination smelled odd to me.
Jael (+) A fun creamy / fruity blend that I enjoy wearing.
Judith (+) Just tried it last week, and it's very good and original. Woods and tiger balm.
Lola Montez (++) Gorgeous green scent that's neither too bitter nor too sweet.
Lucretia (+) This almond / cherry cordial combo is a perfect sedative when I'm feeling angry. Don't know why, but there it is!
Madame du Barry (+) Another one I tried last week from a decant. I remember it was creamy and well-blended and had almost a chocolatey vibe.
Mary Queen of Scots (0) I had a love affair with this shortbread / heather combo for a week, but then the shortbread turned dusty and I haven't worn it since.
Sappho (0) A good clean unisex scent, but I don't find it particularly memorable.

Earlier blends:
The Velvet Riding Habit (++) Gorgeous rose / leather combo - the well-behaved, Possets leather variety. More rose than leather on me. Not heady / intrusive, but it does fill the room!
Viking Queen (+) The cloudberry reminds me of Russian lingonberry, but not quite as tart. It's a happy fruity scent for when you need it.

Hope this helps!

Jbcindy
a spark
a spark

Post by Jbcindy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:08 pm

It's my first retour so these reviews really help. Thank you!

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 am

Alright. I put in my order via Ajevie for full bottles of

Candybox Pretty (gardenia, tuberose and wax!)
Demon Lover (galbanum!!! Love Fabienne's galbanium fumes!!)
Love Amongst the Snow Dunes (it escaped me twice!!)
Romping Skyclad (fir!!!)
Venus of Willendorf (orange! palmarosa! champagne!)

I was only going to buy two because I have a very "healthy" Possets collection. But....retours are infrequent. And life is short.

Now I have others I am pondering-

Daring - jasmine and patch (good reviews and combination is unusual)
JFK and Jackie- "sophisticated" (so not me. I am a hippie. But hey, oakmoss!)
Grande- oakmoss fouge lavender
Perpetual Motion Heart- vanilla and wood

Certainly I missed a violet somewhere???

Who is you all's favorite Henry xiii?

This seasonal retour is brilliant! I practically had to quit my job for the last mega retour to focus and get through 600 scent descriptions! HA!!!

katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:59 am

Jbcindy - welcome! Glad the reviews were helpful.

Way to go, MinhScent! I haven't tried Demon Lover, but I heartily approve of all your other choices. Those are some of the crowning jewels of my Possets collection. You won't be disappointed!

In other news, I feel like I have to edit my Mary Queen of Scots impression above. I put her on this morning, and she's really good! The shortbread smells dusty in the bottle, but on the skin it's more of a "perfumey" scent that rises above the heather and shortbread and ties them together.

Here are the ones I ended up ordering:
Venus of Willendorf (I'm completely out)
The Kiss (I was sold by someone's review that this has a similar vibe to Candybox Pretty)
Roses are Red, Derry Derry (I love Possets rose and violets - and the reviews are encouraging)
Virginia Oldoini (lilac and hawthorne - people seem very happy with this one, and I'm craving florals)
Bitter (the description seemed very promising, and Fabienne IS the Queen of Green!)
Bridal Veil (I'm a sucker for Possets citrus, and I can tell I will love this. Neroli, orange blossom and silk. Doesn't get much better than that!)

I was on the fence about ordering Madame duBarry - I do like my decant. But I don't feel like I absolutely HAVE to have it at this point, so saving her for another retour.

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:25 pm

If anyone hasn't tried Evita Peron yet, go for it. It's so quietly dignified and pretty. It's a "violet-like leather".

BTW...is it just me, or is there no review thread for Well Bred?

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi, Minh Scent, those sound like great choices--Katiushka, yours also. Also I agree heartily with Warriortwo about Evita, it is elegant and lovely.

Regarding those you each mentioned, I think you will be very happy with Demon Lover, Minh. It's got that wonderful galbanum note, as you mentioned and Fabienne did that so well. I have a partial bottle I bought from Ajevie (about a quarter in the bottle) and I love it and was debating whether to get a full bottle, or to wait for next Retour. Also Bitter which I got last Retour is I think a beautiful fragrance, with a balance of citrus and the herbs and green note, and it's aged beautifully. I like it better now, actually, I just tried it on my wrist. I have Grande also from the last Retour and it's gorgeous, I would say it's very unisex but not too masculine for me. On me it has that beautiful fougere that Fabienne excelled at and which reached its zenith in Landscape in Suffolk and on me the lavender is probably the next strongest note, but it's definitely complex and multi-dimensional and more than a two note perfume. As it dries on me I smell the vetiver and more of its woody aspect with the lavender and fougere still mingling and discernible.

I'm still making up my list and trying to rein myself in! I think I will compromise and get some I'm curious about in decant size from Ajevie, so I'm very appreciative she is providing us with those. Each of you has mentioned some I'm interested in. On my full bottle list I am feeling like I may try Guinevere which sounds like it's been such a classic over the years from the Dreams of Avalon collection. Beyond that, Love Among the Snow Dunes for me also, and Romping Skyclad which a forum friend Funkmoppet had kindly sent me a decant of--as you can tell, this could quickly get out of control!!

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:30 am

Marisaviola, oh, Guinevere was not even on my radar! Sandalwood and clove? Mmmmm.

I am tempted to get decants, but the logistics would not support getting full bottles if I fall in love. I am the kind of human that does better with ignorance. I don't know what it is about perfume, but there are certain scents that after I smell them, I get obsessed and HAVE to smell them. It can be distracting!!

Bitter and Virgina Oindini were also on the short list, Katiushka! And Marisaviola just gave a thumbs up to it!

Yes, welcome, JBCindy! Don't forget to check the reviews section. The search is good, but you have to spell things exactly...

I'm missing Fabienne reading her descriptions.

katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:28 pm

I received my order and have started - slowly - trying everything after a period of rest. Haven't gotten to everything yet, but I'll go ahead and post my thoughts in case it helps others.

JFK and Jackie- sophisticated tea and Possets leather. Most leather is too biting for my taste, but this is very nice! It's quite soft but very long-lasting. Anyone considering - I highly recommend it!

The Kiss - delivers on its promise of being a more grown-up version of Candybox Pretty. It's a floral, but a non-cloying floral with a creamy and slightly tangy finish. Most gardenia / tuberose blends from other perfumers tend to smell like air freshener, but not Fabienne's, and certainly not this one! This one is like sticking your nose into a cloud of Heaven on a warm spring day. Another win.

Bridal Veil - this is actually a floral, not citrus, blend. The neroli / orange blossom combo reminds me of the osmanthus in Aspasia. The blend is quite biting - both sour and sweet, if that makes any sense. Definitely interesting, just not something that I envision wearing myself. I could really see someone falling for this though - especially if you like Fabienne's osmanthus!

celandine
primordial
primordial

Post by celandine » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:37 am

Is it possible to extend the order period for Retour a little longer? I still haven't received my decants from Ajevie and her site still says preorder so I'm assuming she doesn't have them to send out yet. (One of the best things about Possets has always been the fact that I didn't have to feel rushed into ordering things!)