Summer Retour -- Random Thoughts and Review Requests

Announcements from Jennie and Tom about upcoming and current events at Possets and discussions from everyone else, too!

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Summer Retour -- Random Thoughts and Review Requests

Post by Boudicca » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:30 pm

So... who wants to talk Retour?!

I didn't get to check out the possibilities as much/thoroughly as I might have today, but some things may have caught my eye. Haven't started a list yet, but when I do it could be trouble. There are scents that I missed before -- didn't know of their existence -- which are intriguing!

So, who wants to share what they want to order? Who thinks there's something that really should have been voted permanent but didn't make the cut? Are you going to get stuff you never got to try or back ups of your beloved? Or both? I go back and forth with the idea of back ups....

If you're on the fence about something on your list, this would be where to ask for additional reviews. LOl, there's got to be enough of us with enough bottles that someone could add a review.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Summer Retour -- Random Thoughts and Review Requests

Post by Petticoats » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:36 am

Yay, a retour thread! :frolic:

I actually won't be placing as gargantuan an initial order as with the Springs, but I will be ordering a lot of decants. Right now my shopping cart contains

Myrtle of Venus (every posset with myrtle that I've tried is lovely, and I like peach and apricot)
Portrait of Jane Small (peach!)
Bikini Girls of Sicily (normally I'm not big on jasmine but this has so many other interesting notes I'm very curious)
Scylla (fig!)

and maybe

14 Carnations (I love carnation possets, but I wonder if this might be redundant since I have [and love] The Ruined Reputation)
Gelato: Profound Lavender Chocolate
Gelato: Strawberry from Syracuse
Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose
Colossus of Memnon (I'm concerned about the lime)
The Great Clod (not a big earth fan, but I luuurve Fabienne's fig scents)
Fygmalion (see above re loving figs, but some reviewers said this skewed chemical for them)
Sicilian Bride (but the pastry note makes me unsure)

...but would enjoy hearing more from people who've tried the "maybe" ones.

:chase:

ETA: In the Madame X Squared thread someone mentioned the portrait of Virginie Gautreau, Sargent's Madame X, in her chiffon summer dress. I think this is it:
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Maladextrose
primordial
primordial

Post by Maladextrose » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:31 pm

I wound up missing the spring retour because I was on a no-buy, so I'm excited to splurge a tiny bit on summer.

My list so far:

Serqet
The Windmill at Wijk
Kohl
The God of Olives
Fygmalion or The Veil of Isis

The only one that I know I want a fb of is G:PLC. I'm still not sure if I need Kohl when I already have Whirlwind of Lust. I know that they're not identical by any means, but they seem to be in the same general family? If anyone would like to weigh in on The God of Olives (there's only one review) or compare/contrast those two fig scents, then I'd much appreciate it!

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:57 pm

I'd be happy to send you q-tips of Veil of Isis and God of Olives if you like. Just PM me your mailing info.

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:02 pm

I got overexcited yesterday and ordered these decants:

14 Carnations
A Haiku Soseki
Earth Touch
Etna (got this one because of Funkmoppet's comment that "the whole thing evokes the forest at the base of the mountain"
Evil Eye
Garcia Lorca
Ginger Lime Granita (ginger, lime, mint, three of my favorite things)
Hortus
In Gallarus
Leaves of Grass (Eleanor of Aquitaine worked so well for me, I want to try all the grass scents now)
Mountain
Sea of Ice (probably won't work on me, but the cool notes all sounds so tempting)
Tranquility
The Water Burns (not sure why I felt I needed this, cucumber is not my thing)
The Windmill at Wijk

I generally don't go for carnations or sandalwood. But I used to like sandalwood, and I love Fabienne's earth note so much that I wanted to see how the earth interacts in 14 Carnations and Earth Touch. I'm also leaning towards adding some of the Gelatos, even though I don't go for foody scents. I'm just super excited for summer. I am grateful that a lot of the other scents have honey, indolic florals, and coconut, all death notes for me, so I don't go completely bankrupt.

ETA: Just picked up:
Birth of Venus
Envious Pink
Gelato: Strawberry from Syracusa
The Crown of the Vulture
Tres Riches Heures

That's it, that's really it for the summer. Really really.

Maladextrose: if you ever want to try some of the Springs, I ordered a bazillion of those and none of them worked for me, so I still have most of them.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Brief reminder: If anyone sees a perfume without a description thread here on the forum, feel free to tag us so we can get one set up.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:32 pm

I've just started. Shortlising and diving into the reviews. Fantastic these are being kept up, thank you mods!

So far, I know I have Omar Khayam on my list. Marisaviola gifted me a decant a7bd I love it. Same lovely woman also turned me on to Bouquet de Marechale and I may get more. For violet lovers, this is something to look at. It is a more classic perfume.

There is one called the Warrior. I love tomato leaf and I love vanilla. But together?

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:19 am

WOW! I placed my order last night at 9:52 and got my ship notice this morning… at 9:52! That’s twelve hours’ turnaround time, OVERNIGHT! Jennie and Tom, y’all are phenomenal.

After much debating with myself, I ended up ordering these:

Bikini Girls of Sicily
Scylla
Myrtle of Venus
Portrait of Jane Small
Madame X Squared (this just sounded so lovely from the reviews)
Sicilian Bride
Colossus of Memnon

…and ordering about twice that number of decants from Ajevie. I can’t wait to smell these lovelies!

To keep with the summer theme, I’m wearing Medusa today. This is just an all-around lovely warm-weather fragrance.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:28 pm

That Chocolate Lavender is on my wish list, too, Petticoats. Of the ones you listed, I have Venus of Myrtle and love it.

It seems there is both a Blood Orange and a Blood Orange Gelato.....hmm.

I just had a less than 24 hour turn around time, too! I only ordered Omar from the Retour so far, to go along with replenishment of a few of my favorites. I tend to prefer the small bottles, even though the bigger ones are more economical.

marisaviola
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by marisaviola » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Chocolate Lavender caught my eye too, Minh, though I am not normally a gourmand or chocolate person but Fabienne's lavenders are so beautiful. There are so many wonderful summer fragrances she made. The Sicilian Seduction collection I thought was particularly brilliant and was my first time ordering from her--I second Minh Scent on Bouquet de la Marechale, it is a beautiful classic violet--and I personally love Jardin di Principio nad Fiore di Profumo very much also--I think of her florals these are some of the loveliest and most complex. The Fiore di Profumo has a wonderful honeyed acacia note.

The next year's collection was also amazing with some very unusual but gorgeous creations--Flying Horse will long remain a favorite of mine and perfect for hot summer days and very close to 100 percent natural but will very good staying power. Beautiful ingredients in it. Also thanks to Funkmoppet I investigated The Windmill at Wijk and really love that one also!

Also, I just copied a review I had posted in the forum in late 2015 about Madame X Squared and posted it to the original summer 2009 thread--I think if you like fresh ginger (the root and plant rather than the baking spice) you might find this very refreshing for summer:
"In the vial I smell a creamy musk and something added that reminds me of two different famous Possets: Courtly Love and also Haiku--Fangping Gauze Screen, both of which I love. Putting it on I would echo the description that it's very light but lingering. It's soft and not in your face but it does not fade quickly on me. I can smell a soft cloud around me just from putting it on my wrist. The ginger to me is very present, a fresh ginger smell rather than a spice or bakery type note--what is a touch of peach and some osmanthus in Gauze Screen and light apricot and jasmine in Courtly Love seems to be ginger and a golden type floral note--I don't know what sunflower pollen is supposed to smell like but this is not what I think of as a strong honey note, though it could be a honeyed floral. It's not like gardenia or mimosa or linden and not very floral, but just a touch. I'm getting that golden or yellow flower scent rather than lemon. This definitely is a beautiful spring or summer blend and would do very well, I think, in warmer weather. It's light and ethereal without being watery or faint."