Summer Retour -- Random Thoughts and Review Requests

Announcements from Jennie and Tom about upcoming and current events at Possets and discussions from everyone else, too!

Moderator: Maya

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Re: Summer Retour -- Random Thoughts and Review Requests

Post by Minh Scent » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Petticoats wrote: ETA: Update--squee! My order has arrived! So many lovelies. Just sniffing them in the bottle, I think I've made some excellent choices. :frolic:
What's standing out????? :frolic:

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 am

Minh Scent wrote:
Petticoats wrote: ETA: Update--squee! My order has arrived! So many lovelies. Just sniffing them in the bottle, I think I've made some excellent choices. :frolic:
What's standing out????? :frolic:
I've gotten to try all of them on my skin now, and although some resting will probably help, I'm already in love with most of them!

Bikini Girls of Sicily is somehow very beachy feeling to me. It's a kind of soft fragrance, like a haze is lying over the floral note, peaceful and idyllic and quietly feminine... and stealthily sexy.

Colossus of Memnon is zippy at first, kind of like a cocktail, and then the pineapple and amber really meld and it gets very sexy. Mrawr.

Portrait of Jane Small is heaven! Such a delicate peach, not too sweet. Somehow it manages to be fresh and creamy at the same time. LOVE.

Scylla is delightful. I love Fabienne's fig fragrances, and the lychee note is a great touch--not too strong, just brightens it a wee bit.

Myrtle of Venus is very tangy and juicy! It'll be interesting to see what facets it develops after it has more chance to rest.

Sicilian Bride is a wallop of cherry in the bottle, but on skin it settles down and other notes come forth and it becomes a happy fruity blend.

I think Madame X Squared and Gelato: Profound lavender and Chocolate may need a little more time to rest from their travels (or maybe my nose needs more time to get to know them), but I am really happy with all my lovely Summers!
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

marisaviola
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by marisaviola » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Thank you for sharing, Petticoats! You make them sound delicious--even with notes I would not normally wear, they sound beautiful! I got a decant of Bikini Girls, I can't wait to try it!

I was going to post yesterday that Hortus really has wonderful staying power on me without smelling loud. I had put it on Sunday evening when I last wrote and then I could smell it still when I got up and then softly all day yesterday. I really love it. I had not tried it for almost two years, and now I am so glad to have it and recommend it to those who like those notes. It's really classy and not like a department store perfume floral, it's more natural than that and is not sharp like they often are.

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:47 pm

You're very welcome, Marisaviola! And I'm glad that Hortus gets such high praise from you, because I ordered a decant of it. :fez:

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:41 pm

Oh, gosh, Petticoats, thank you for those helpful reviews!!! I have Myrtle of Venus (thank you Marisaviola!) and can tell you it has definitely calmed down and is just lovely not too foody or sweet, but with a perfect mist of peachy fruit. I love the musk in that one.

Of course, even though you gave all those wonderful reviews, I want to hear more about Profund Lavender Chocolate. I was attracted to the reviews which made it sound like an in your face , herbally lavender. I do like Fabienne's Chocolate Incense and every lavender she has ever released. Is it overwheming you?

I am trying to be calm here, as I still need to smell my Spring Retours. Fortunately, Tom and Jennie have amazing customer service and I am not too worried about getting things in time during my brief time in US.

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Minh Scent wrote:Oh, gosh, Petticoats, thank you for those helpful reviews!!! I have Myrtle of Venus (thank you Marisaviola!) and can tell you it has definitely calmed down and is just lovely not too foody or sweet, but with a perfect mist of peachy fruit. I love the musk in that one.
Ooh, I'm glad to hear that. I am enjoying how uplifting and delicious it is, and it's nice to know I can look forward to further delightful developments.
Minh Scent wrote:Of course, even though you gave all those wonderful reviews, I want to hear more about Profund Lavender Chocolate. I was attracted to the reviews which made it sound like an in your face , herbally lavender. I do like Fabienne's Chocolate Incense and every lavender she has ever released. Is it overwheming you?
One thing I can say for sure is that the lavender isn't herbal to me. Nor is the chocolate like that in Chocolate Incense (which I also like very much). Gelato PL&C is very sweet, and the chocolate makes me think more of a milk chocolate. Jennie and Tom kindly sent me a sample of Id with my order, and it's actually closer to what I expected from GPL&C--an herbal lavender, a less sweet chocolate. (When I think about it, it makes sense that a gelato fragrance would be sweet, since it's capturing the essence of a dessert, but for some reason I was still surprised.) I will continue to test it as the days pass and see if I can be more helpful.

Also, I wore Portrait of Jane Small to work and loved, loved, loved it. It's not overwhelming, so it's a good work fragrance, but it was very present with me and I enjoyed every single waft.

Maladextrose
primordial
primordial

Post by Maladextrose » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm

I received some sniffies from Petticoats this afternoon, and let me just say that I'm glad I didn't make an order before now. So far, my favorites aren't at all what I expected!

There was actually enough on the q-tips to do a little bit of skin testing. My thoughts so far:

Mafia - reminds me a lot of Triangulation and Birth of Venus, but better (at least on my skin). The melon and neroli and jasmine are beautifully blended; it's a summery fragrance that's floral but not ladylike. The fragrances aren't similar at all despite both involving neroli, but, for me, it evokes the same sort of atmosphere as Neroli Portofino.

Veil of the Throne (formerly Isis) - Fruited honey. A warm, golden scent with nothing of the green, milkiness of fig about it. I liked this a lot, but I don't know how often I'd wear it.

God of Olives - Strongly bergamot. The first whiff definitely brings to mind a green earl grey tea, and the mental connection was so strong that all I could smell later was bergamot and tea. Non-offensive for office wear. It also reminds me of Margot without the evergreen gum, but I think I'd choose Margot on most days.

Alexander Pushkin/The Flower - Clean and spalike. The florals come in before the sage, but by the drydown it's more sage-y and very close to the skin. It smells a bit like expensive lotion and the powders and things on my aunt's vanity. Pretty and nostalgic, but not for me. I'd always choose for Arizona over The Flower.

Crown of the Serpent - Spice cake-y but not gourmand at all. Sweet cinnamon and clove, so I immediately think of winter holidays and mulling spices.

Thanks again, Petticoats!

I think I'm still going to risk the Profound Lavender Chocolate and hope that I get some of the same dark/unsweet qualities that other forumites did.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:20 pm

I am just loving the Retours chatter!

Petticoats, that is so interesting about the Profund Lavender Chocolate! I would bever expect sweet, which is silly, since it IS gelato! In my mind, I hope for herbally lavender with 90% chocolate! HA!

Maladextrose, interesting that Mafia compares to Neroli Portofino...I was also wondering if getting both Mafia and Fiore dd Profumo would be overkill.

No one had their nose in the chrysanthemum haiku?

You know, last retour Fabienne had an osmanthus coffee blend I almost bought...I wanted to get it this time...I would think that is a summer blend...but I guess not....hmmm...

Maladextrose
primordial
primordial

Post by Maladextrose » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Minh Scent - It really smells nothing like Neroli Portofino, but they both use florals to give off a really uplifting/refreshing vibe, while the other notes keep things interesting enough to take it out of the "standard summer scent" category.

I have some specific associations with neroli/jasmine, so I'm always looking for fragrances that can transport me to that place again. Mafia does that for me, but your mileage may vary.

Wasn't that osmanthus/coffee a winter blend?

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:39 pm

Reporting back on a few that have developed over the last couple of days:

Bikini Girls of Sicily has become even lovelier. The jasmine has receded a little, the almond has come forward, and it's developed a creaminess that is out of this world. It's quiet, not a lot of throw, but is definitely an understated beauty.

Madame X Squared still isn't as sweet as I'd kind of hoped it would be, and it doesn't remind me at all of the original Madame X, but it's attractive. Like Bikini Girls, even though they don't appear to share any notes, it reminds me of the way sun-warmed skin smells after a day at the beach (or maybe it's just a phantom memory, since I haven't been to a beach in a few years). I also definitely get why one reviewer compared it to Thai coconut soup! Something about the dry prickle of the ginger and the way it develops that lightly lemony air. It's not aggressive but stays close to the skin. It's definitely growing on me, and it's better on skin than in the bottle.

Gelato: Profound Lavender & Chocolate has definitely benefited from some time to rest. It's much more of a piece now, with the different bits harmonizing. The cool gelato note is a nice underpinning for the sweetness, and the overall effect is more on the perfumy side than the edible side. Overall I'm liking this blend more with every day that passes.