Summer Retour -- Random Thoughts and Review Requests

Announcements from Jennie and Tom about upcoming and current events at Possets and discussions from everyone else, too!

Moderator: Maya

Margowhat
primordial
primordial

Re: Summer Retour -- Random Thoughts and Review Requests

Post by Margowhat » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:41 pm

This is my first order so I chose based on names instead of notes.

Ogden Nash-Candy is Dandy. Starts with a good blast of butterscotch and bourbon. The liquor tones down and a creme brûlée burnt sugar smell comes out. Low throw but good wear length as I could still smell it this morning.

Put the _ in the _. I love the musical artist and lime. It is more fruit than coconut which I think is a plus. Low throw and medium wear length but it is a great light, cool summer scent. What can I say? I like the boozy scents.

Fireworks. Starts off astringent, sharp and herbal. Powdery and somewhat floral on drydown. Irish Spring? Where did you come from? Oh, it's the metallic musk coming out. Wow. That is really pleasant and yes, sexy. This should be an exciting weekend.
:eyeroll:

MageLocusta
primordial
primordial

Post by MageLocusta » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Put the _ in the _. I love the musical artist and lime. It is more fruit than coconut which I think is a plus. Low throw and medium wear length but it is a great light, cool summer scent. What can I say? I like the boozy scents.

Haha! Good choice! I haven't tried Ogden Nash's just yet, but I can definitely confirm that PT_it_ is a great and boozy scent (I've got mine ageing for a couple of years now, and it's so rich and deeply boozy!). I've got Sea of Ice coming for me, especially after realising how *good* Possets' ocean aquatics smell like (plus a whole ton of tea-like scents for a friend of mine). Will you also be reviewing your perfumes once they arrive? I'm hoping to expand my collection to include more boozy scents, and I always feel that there doesn't seem to be enough of 'boozy' type perfumes!

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:04 am

Maladextrose, thank you for your neroli fumes input. Hmm.

Petticoats, you have me tettering again about Profun Lavender! GAH!!

Margowhat, wow, I only buy on notes even if the name breaks my heart with its cleverness or poignancy!!!

marisaviola
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by marisaviola » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:11 am

I've got my eye on Sea of Ice too, based on Katiushka's great reviews! Those notes sound heavenly for summer!

marisaviola
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by marisaviola » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:53 pm

The only Haiku I have tried are A Haiku-Kobayashi Roof of Hell and Haiku-Fangping-Gauze Screen which is in the permanent collection. I have gone back to see how A Haiku-Kobayashi Roof of Hell has aged, and it's aged well---still with a strong violet note and the honeyed aspect from the linden. I wrote a short impression of it here: http://www.possets.com/talking/viewtopi ... Oil#p40527

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:05 am

Thank you for that review, Marisaviola. I was intrigued by this one because it is one of my favorite haiku.

Somehow Adonis got past me until you told me about it. That sounds stunning.

So, do I need Windmill? I do not appreciate aquatic blends so much, but Funkmoppet's review was tantalizing and I think Fabienne was proud of this aquatic vanilla. And it has wood.

GAH!!!

marisaviola
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by marisaviola » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:19 pm

I think Funkmpoppet's spectacular review is what drove me finally to jump in and try it, Minh! I have just this second put it on to give my feedback on it--will write something by tomorrow! :fez:

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:52 am

marisaviola wrote:I think Funkmpoppet's spectacular review is what drove me finally to jump in and try it, Minh! I have just this second put it on to give my feedback on it--will write something by tomorrow! :fez:
Thank you, Marisaviola. I have to cut some things off my list, but just added Adonis. Still dithering about a back up of Bouquet de Marechale. Since I am in my 60s, I may not need one! HA!

marisaviola
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by marisaviola » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:07 am

Hi, everyone,
I enjoyed wearing "Windmill" all day yesterday. Here is my review of it, posted in the proper review section, but for ease I will paste it here also:

The opening for me is very similar to Funkmoppet's review, with a really unique marine vanilla accord. I also got that sense of greenness at the beginning, and it is definitely not a foody or baking type of vanilla. I smelled some driftwood aspect to it without it being really smoky and at this point it's not excessively woody to me. As it dries and warms to my skin, the oakwood accord becomes more prominent, but with that unique vanilla that keeps a saltwater tinge wafting in and out. It never for me becomes just wood or just vanilla, and the marine aspect is very subtle but there throughout hours of wearing. It is an extremely creative scent, and also has aged well and though it does not project loudly, I was surprised to see that after aging, it has excellent longevity on me, with that vanilla/amber aspect of it continuing through the afternoon and evening, mixed in with subtle aspects of the wood. The wood is dry, as has been mentioned in other reviews and also I agree with Katiushka's review that this does not strike me as a particularly unisex blend, though I am sure a man could wear it and it could blend very well with his chemistry. To me it does not come across as a specifically "masculine blend", however.

The next morning what I smell faintly is the vanilla and amber aspect of it, a slight lingering on my skin. However, the day before when I put it on it lasted for 6+ hours as very discernible on my wrist. I will echo Mina, in her review that it is "unique and beautiful." It's fascinating to me how the particular aspects of a primarily wood and vanilla blend can produce something very different from another vanilla wood blend such as "Lady with a Baby Unicorn."

Minh, I know this decision-making for me is often agonizing! One has to take so much into consideration, especially with backup bottles! I do love Dutch Adonis and it's more unisex than most violet blends due to its unique components that Fabienne created so beautifully in her blends. I personally love it. I would say it's for the violet-lover who enjoys variations on the theme and is open to more masculine and less delicate blends. The violets in it come across as deep purple Parma to me, and it's a more robust blend and not as floral sweet as some violet fragrances are.

I'm tending toward 14 Carnations which I have rather coveted for 3 years since it was created, and also have my eye on Sea of Ice still!

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:53 am

Marisaviola, thank you so much for that excellent review and that has tipped me over. I passed this up reluctantly during both the original release and retour. So now is the time!!!!

13 Carnations. I don't have it with me, so I can't do a proper review, but there were a few things that always stand out. The first is I swear that the first note I get is a rose. Not just any rose, but a gorgeous one. It is gone before I can focus more on it. Like literally about 3-5 seconds. It makes me batty. After that, it is all carnation, clove. I don't get much dirt. I do like it. I need to do a face off with Silver Carnations, of which it reminds me, although other reviewers found them quite different.