Fall and Halloween Retour 2018!

Announcements from Jennie and Tom about upcoming and current events at Possets and discussions from everyone else, too!

Moderator: Maya

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Re: Fall and Halloween Retour 2018!

Post by Minh Scent » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:55 am

Who asked about Anubis? If it was the coffee you were after, go for Pauline! Rich, lovely scent with some fluttering of leaves and a grounding of dirt. If you like a bit of candy sweet, that is how the fig comes off to me in Anubis. I usually love fig, but this is too candy-like for my personal taste.

I have also been in an Apep love/lust. Cant get enough of the patch-clove combo. Very lush indeed! If any one on the fence about that one.

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Seconding Pauline!!
I'm too broke to get anything so I will be revisiting my Possets of Fall/Halloweens Past.
Let me know if you want additional thoughts on any of them, I have just a few... lol
:pumpha:
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:49 pm

For autumn type scents that smell atmospheric, The Scent of Night is beautiful, with spikenard and some leaf accord, this deservedly has a big following and the newsletter said it was one of the most popular ones in terms of being ordered from Possets last year. It was created as part of the last Halloween collection that Fabienne put out, which was titled "The Scent of Night" for the collection. ("Hyssop, violet leaf, spikenard, red cedar, dark brown musk, and fallen leaves. Night night night in a bottle. Beautiful, mystical, glorious, dry, musky, strong, sexy, heady, narcotic, unforgettable. ")

Her "Halloween" seems to have a very large following, as well. I have not used it myself, but that's the impression I've gotten over the years. I love The Scent of Night. :leaves:

If you love spice and carnation, her Autumn (Vivaldi) from the Haunting Music collection is gorgeous.

crimescenecleanup
mortal
mortal

Post by crimescenecleanup » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:54 am

What is your favorite apple scent from Possets?

I like Equinox and would love to try others.

Not apple-related, but my favorite discovery from last year was the Dance of The Heretics.

It is the smooth, warm, sexy sister of Posset's Satan. Just pure class in a bottle, clean musk and dry incense and it smells like a million bucks.

Also, I hear a lot of love for The Scent of Night. I haven't tried that one, but I have always been partial to Night Flight, which was my first Posset bottle. It is a unique aquatic that smells just like damp autumn air. I think it has a touch of some kitchen spice, as well...maybe coriander?

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:33 pm

Oh, dear. I realize that I don't really know any Posset apples, but do have a few decants of the ones you mentioned, CrimeSceneCleanUp and need to try those. I don't do this note much, but the few I have from other perfumers (Cellar by Solstice for example) are well loved. Time to investigate Posset apples! :chase: :chase:

Dang, I also now need to sniff Dance of the Heretics. I loved my Satan sample enough from last year to order a full bottle, so bring on a sexy sibling!

Also don;t know Night Flight. oh, oh.

Favorite discovery from last year's retour-
Black Prince - mmmmph dark lavender
Funeral Dirge (Dried leaves, brown musk, molasses, liquor, dandelion, tomato leaf and violet leaf) - Wonderful. A super morpher, starting with a delightful dead leaves notes flitting in and out. (Dies Irae will always be my favorite dead leaf perfume, but this comes in a good second.)
Whirlwind of Lust - (Black, sticky ripe fig,Cocoa nib liquor, blackest musk, incense, tears of frankincense and a jigger of bourbon) One of the strangest (and thus intriguing!) black musk scents I have come across. It is a confusing scent, like Fabienne was playing and experimenting wildly. I can't wear this to work because I can't remove my wrist from nose, wondering what will happen next!

I have more. But I think I was supposed to only say one. HA!

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:57 pm

I don't have an apple scent to suggest, I have been meaning to try Washington but have yet to ask for a sample of that--so sorry there--but have to interject and agree with Minh on Black Prince, such a beauty for a complex lavender, and I love, love love The Whirlwind of Lust! I surprised myself last year by going mad on that one, and also Honey-tongued Devils and The Golden Diadem. I love how Fabienne does those darker ones, as Minh says it has so many facets to it--it's not any one thing or genre. I also love the golden/honeyed pollen ones she does, like Golden Diadem which I think has some tamarind in it, and Sunflowers from her Summer of Elegance collection.

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:59 pm

I posed for the 30 day challenge that I am wearing Vide Cor Meum this evening. I am posting here too because it's a Halloween Retour fragrance and it is so beautiful! I think this might be a full bottle for me. Fabienne said: "This is something of an experimental fragrance, with a faintly green accord, a very classy sandalwood, osmanthus, and a small amount of ginger. It's edgy and sophisticated, a bit daring, sharp on the top notes but cozies down to a very calming blend when it settles down on the skin." This has a gorgeous classic or vintage vibe to it, it's unusual but it's classic perfumery also. I had gotten the decant last year but I either did not try it enough or just it was not the right time.

As it develops the osmanthus note in this is lovely. It opens for me with the green accord which is a muted green rather than a leaf or grass note. It's not quite galbanum, i'm not sure what it is, but it's very effective and pulled me right in. After about 20 minutes is when the osmanthus began to bloom and then the sandalwood also begins to emerge for me. Maybe what I was smelling with the green accord was the ginger, as well.

Margowhat
primordial
primordial

Post by Margowhat » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:48 pm

I just received my decants today and will let them rest before really testing. I opened them all to smell though and Guilded Cloaks is the standout as I expected. Can’t wait to try that one. I can see how Gibbous would be difficult to describe. Can’t wait to try them all.
Anger
Angst
Apep
Satan
Halloween
Flirty She-Corpse
Golden Diadem
:eyeroll:

Margowhat
primordial
primordial

Post by Margowhat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:10 pm

So after a whirlwind of testing today I decicded on full bottles of Guilded Cloaks, Satan, Halloween & Orpheus. I know Orpheus wasn’t on my list and I didn’t have a decant but I just couldn’t pass it up after reading the reviews. Anger was too close to something I adore from another brand. Flirty She-Corpse smells like my great aunt which is not a bad thing but not for me. Golden Diadem lasted 15 minutes on my silly skin. Angst and Apep are nice but just didn’t grab me.
:eyeroll:

InThePines
a spark
a spark

Post by InThePines » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Ooh Margowhat, would you mind sharing your thoughts on Guilded Cloaks, Satan, and Halloween? I'm antsy to receive my decants (hopefully not lost in the mail...tracking hasn't updated in days) so I need to live vicariously through other Posset lovers!