Sacred Smoke

This group of Yule scents was inspired by Dante who wrote Il Paradisio and another epic poem about Purgatory. Rich in tone, these are a wonderful combination of the most beautiful musks, fabulous resins, celestial coconuts with ferns, iris, candy, and the sweet imagination which Possets puts in all of their works.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sacred Smoke

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: A wonderful new sort of incense with sandalwood, fragrant burning oude, a hiss of clove essence, and a bit of burning green bamboo. Long lasting and strong. Unique...not your average incense fragrance.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Re: Sacred Smoke

Post by Narcisse »

Ok this review is a first day fresh from the mailbox so it hasn't settled but time of the essence thing I am doing a review which I will update with time.
In the imp it smelled like my cat did after he tried to mate with a skunk. I don't actually mind skunk so I dabbed it on anyway. Apparently skunk scent is made up of sulfur and thiols so may be the thiols I am picking up.
On my skin it smelled like the scent when a local coffee company roasts their arabica blend. I am guessing that is the burning green bamboo. I had my mother smell the scent at this time because she despises the scent of coffee so I wanted to see if she smelled that and she didn't she thought it smelled like burnt creme brulee. The burnt greenery scent hung on for a about 15 minutes before the hint of spice begins to come out and be noticed. There is an underlying sweetness in it that does remind me of a daffodil but it's definitely burnt still. My dog is thoroughly intrigued by the scent, she never really pays much attention to these things but she can't stop sniffing me. She hasn't offered me any insight, but she keeps returning to sniffing my hand. Maybe she remembers the cat incident, too.
30 minutes and the burnt note is beginning to soften a bit. There is now something that reminds me of petit grain in the mix now. It's definitely softening a bit and you can smell clove, but this is like the dry spice from your cupboard. I still periodically get a hint of skunk, which may explain why it reminds me of Giorgio Beverly Hills perfume from the 80's. Now emerging from the melange I get a hint of incense like frankincense, that must be the oud, but it doesn't smell like oud normally does to me.
45 minutes it has now softened into a scent that reminds me of a very high end middle eastern aftershave I got years ago from my friend in Oman. The scent might actually be making me high. I feel both zen and invigorated simultaneously, it ends up being a very woody with a hint of holiday pomander in the background scent.
After the 2 hour mark it turned into the most rich and decadent incense blend that is very Marrakesh Market in essence. It definitely evolves into the niche perfumery realm of incense blends. I think the burnt offerings phase will soften with time.

2 day update: No skunk today, I still get a whiff of coffee roasting in the distance not as in the roasteras before. The citrus part of the bamboo showed up and the transition from burnt/smoky greenery to the perfumey phase that reminds me of 80's power scents came and went all with 5-10 minutes. It softens quickly into the rich incense perfume that harkens to middle age Yemeni markets.
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

Uh oh. I definitely get the skunk note. It almost reminds me of overly roasted coffee. This one is gonna be a no because whatever note that is (maybe the burning bamboo?) just really doesn't appeal to me at all. The rest of the scent is a very lovely, light incense, from what I can tell, but whatever that burning note is just kills it for me.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I'm curious if anyone trying this can see any resemblance of the bamboo in this to the bamboo in Arabesque. I know this one is supposed to be burning green bamboo, but I'm wondering if there is a connection at all.

Since this one has oude in it, I keep thinking this is going to be a sleeper stunner in about 6 months and I am soooo close to just grabbing a bottle but I am nervous about the burnt coffee/skunk AND the bamboo. However, I wasn't sure about the skunk in Quantum Interconnect and it ended up shifting beautifully. I know they are from different sources, but knowing how things can shift I am very curious...
Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Post by Narcisse »

Actually after the initial hour and a half the burnt does go away completely, though I haven't tried Quantum Interconnect. It is so beautiful once it's completely dried down and it is a little like the bamboo in arabesque, but it's an long winding burnt road to get there. If you would like I can mail you a some of my decant... the burnt has softened some since I received it so it probably will reduce with time, but not a scent to apply running out the door, for now.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Narcisse wrote:If you would like I can mail you a some of my decant... the burnt has softened some since I received it so it probably will reduce with time, but not a scent to apply running out the door, for now.
I appreciate the offer, but I'll make my decision tonight so.... Eenie meenie.... :grin:
willworkforvanilla
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by willworkforvanilla »

I think this Yule blend is better suited for my Mr. It's too masculine for me but on him it smelled wonderful.

This starts off with fresh coffee brewing in the kitchen. It seriously smells like our kitchen at 7:30 in the morning. Coffee is the Mr. favorite thing in the whole universe...so he was intrigued.

The second phase became even more interesting. We were picking up on the sandalwood and the clove. Clove and my husband go hand in hand. Back in the day he used to smoke clove cigarettes and recently for about a year, he has been brushing his teeth with clove oil. (He read somewhere that it was good for your gums). He has a beard sooo as you can imagine, the scent of clove is always with him and it's a scent that I associate with him. He amps it like nobodies business.

I have a confession. I'm still not real sure how to always pick out oude. A few blends it was very much front and center, so that finding the note was easy. I'm not picking it up in this oil. That doesn't mean it's not there, I'm sure it is there only my untrained nose isn't getting it. Another reviewer said that she was picking up on incense, and she thought maybe this was the oude. If that is the case, then maybe that is what I smell. There is a faint breath of incense all throughout this blend. It’s at the top, in the middle and at the bottom. It smells like it is circling the scent in a way.

The "smoke" sticks around quite a bit. The coffee smell has gone away and the smoke smell has replaced it. That's just fine with us, he enjoys the smokiness.

I think this may be his first Possets purchase.

WIN
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

willworkforvanilla wrote:I think this Yule blend is better suited for my Mr. It's too masculine for me but on him it smelled wonderful.

I love that you are giving reviews for what works on your Mr. That is SO helpful and it is something we seem to be lacking a lot of in many of these reviews. And funny (to me) that because of how it went for him, I now am thinking again about getting it for myself (because I had almost completely written it off).
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I am scared of the skunk smell, but I adore smokey blends. Is it smokey like Phylotaxis at all?
Oreana
a spark
a spark

Post by Oreana »

I got a decant of this and am worried it might have been mislabeled - what colour should the oil be?

What I got is nice and sweet but not really smokey, with none of the scary notes others mentioned.