Sacred Smoke

This group of Yule scents was inspired by Dante who wrote Il Paradisio and another epic poem about Purgatory. Rich in tone, these are a wonderful combination of the most beautiful musks, fabulous resins, celestial coconuts with ferns, iris, candy, and the sweet imagination which Possets puts in all of their works.

Moderator: Maya

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Sacred Smoke

Post by Petticoats »

My decant of this is very dark brown. I don't get smoke from it as much as pungency of the sort that's also present (although not as strong) in Whirlwind of Lust.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Oreana
a spark
a spark

Post by Oreana »

Thanks, Petticoats. What I have must be Sacred Smoke then, I was just expecting something different, but this was the one that stood out the most to me from the decants I got and I do like it. Tried it yesterday and didn't make notes so that's not a very descriptive review. ^^
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Thanks Petticoats (she is a goddess, talented, and lovely). I know I loved Whirlwind, so I think I must get Sacred Smoke. Petti, you are so helpful to me, and yet again, you are helping me with my list! :hrt::
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Atropos, you are too kind. :hug: I'm glad if I can help! I went back to look at my notes, and I guess I shouldn't have relied on memory alone, because it looks like I did get smokiness. Here's what I wrote when I first tried it:

"Beautiful in a stately way. I can’t pick out the individual notes, but it’s definitely smoky—and in a good way, not an ashtray way. Reminds me a little of the deep pungent note in Whirlwind of Lust. Strong and intriguing. Wet on skin and drying down: pungent, smoky, a little herbal, different."

I will add that although I adore Whirlwind of Lust and got two big backup bottles (I still can't believe it didn't get voted permanent!), I decided not to get a bottle of Sacred Smoke; it just didn't do it for me like Whirlwind. So there are my thoughts, for what they're worth. :)
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Thanks Petticoats, it is always helpful, I love your reviews, Maya's too. I loved Whirlwind, I wish I could have gotten back up bottles of it. Still, tempted by Sacred Smoke, rats. I have so many (of course) on my list with stars next to them.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I'm copying my review from the main thread in case others want my initial thoughts on how this worked for me straight from the mail box (and who maybe aren't reading the main thread).
Sacred Smoke in the bottle is ooooh mmmmmm. The deep smoke from oh crap I can't remember which one, but it's a great smoke (non dirty smoke) vibe. Perhaps a teensy smidge of Allan Ginsberg? That doesn't feel right. Hmmm... Maybe Omar? It's a bit exotic. A bit incensey. I get a caramel note lurking underneath. A tiny bit of spice. This must be the clove. Niiiice! I can't wait to try this one. On my skin: Sweet tap-dancing baby alpacas! Deep dark oil. A touch of sweet clove (like concentrated clove essence oil). Something that comes across as dark dried fig juice (and this perfume is DARK) too. Don't wear something light in color when you slather this one on lol. As it dries, I'm getting a soft oude essence, a sweet tang from the sandalwood. I'm wondering if what I'm getting as dark dried fig juice is an aspect of the bamboo and clove dancing together. Mmmmmm. I believe Atropos asked if this was like Phyllotaxis and I had an early impression of it possibly being similar, but although this is heavy on incense and is a dark blend, I think Phyllotaxis has a lot more backbone and the smoke is less dense if that makes sense. The clove in here is brightening up some and becoming more like an actual piece of fresh clove (with dark clove juice). That mingles with the incense smoke (and sometimes goes a little toward the smell of plastic, but then it backs off again and goes back to being a pretty perfume).. It reminds me of a cousin of Gypsy Grave in the way the smoke weaves in and out while the other notes hold the core. This is definitely not a typical incense blend, but still very along the incense line. Nice!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Better this time around. It started out coffee again but much nicer coffee than the first attempt. Then the clove starts coming through. I usually love clove but for some reason today it was a little uncomfortable on me.
The clove backs off and that is when I start getting some smoke and incense.
I've tried this twice but am still unsure. After the beginning I described it seems like this can go on all sorts of different directions on me. Now and then I get a waft of something that makes me go "Wow!" Then I sniff my wrist and just go "hmmm".
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

This seems to be dark coffee and smoldering incense, with a heavy brown musk element that makes it smell like fur. This smells masculine to me, and earthy, like a spice (nutmeg?). It's warm and thick, but solemn. I agree that it is a bit acrid at first, with an opposing caramel/coffee/incense thing that takes a few minutes to settle. It warms up and gets a bit airier after 15 minutes, but has low throw.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I love this, it is all coffee and smoke. The coffee reminds me of the coffee in Pauline.

If I had to describe this, it's coffee and gingerbread in a coffee house made of old dark wood, that is burning incense on a Winter day. I sit near a window watching the snow fall while I stay cozy and warm while steam rises from my cup of espresso and I nibble on a deep rich, piece of gingerbread filled with spices and dark with the treacle that it was made with. There is a censer in the establishment nearby with scented smoke curling into the air towards the heavily beamed ceiling.

This is an amazing scent. And yet, it's not really foody, and yet it is. It's definitely not what you would expect, and everything you would expect, until it throws you again and leaves you wondering. It's like a cat, don't try and pin it down, just enjoy it as it comes to you, if it comes to you. It can be just as fickle as a feline. :wink: