Holy Holy Holy

This group of Yule scents was inspired by Dante who wrote Il Paradisio and another epic poem about Purgatory. Rich in tone, these are a wonderful combination of the most beautiful musks, fabulous resins, celestial coconuts with ferns, iris, candy, and the sweet imagination which Possets puts in all of their works.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holy Holy Holy

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: A very smooth sweet hymn in perfume. Something to surround you all the time in clouds of a happy light. The most fair and golden of my amber, two honeys (one herbal and one sweet) with a soft unburned incense. Remarkable and wearable, entrancing and hypnotic.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Holy Holy Holy

Post by Petticoats »

This is a beautiful incense fragrance. It reminds me very strongly of the incense in Cambienne: Per Fume, even to the point of having a smoky quality (even though the description says the incense is unburned), although it's gentler. Per Fume is a little more aggressive on me than I'm really comfy with, so Holy3 is a perfect substitute. The gorgeous blend of honey and amber has a bright golden quality as it does in Orpiment, and the brightness and warmth meld harmoniously with the incense. This is a joyous incense fragrance (rather than the more mysterious kind like Midnight Mass).

If you missed out on Per Fume, or if you're looking for another posset like it, definitely give Holy3 a try. I also highly recommend it for those who aren't sure they like strong incenses and want a lighter, friendly one to start with. Holy3 is a mood brightener and a beautiful, distinctive posset. I have a feeling that this one and Love are going to be big favorites among the Yules. They already are with me. :)
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

Soft, fuzzy incense. A hint of sweetness from the honey, but this is not a predominantly honey scent. The golden, soft warmth of amber beneath. A beautiful incense, without smokiness. It has a lovely hazy quality, but not any smokiness that I can detect. This is like walking into a room where incense has been burned, but it was a few days ago, so the smoke is gone, this is the lingering scent in the curtains. This is a room in a clean house, by the way, not the room of a slovenly college kid burning incense to hide the smell of weed, lol. I would consider this unisex. Maybe on the sweet side for some guys, depending on their skin chemistry.
Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Post by Narcisse »

When I first applied it I immediately got a hint of honey in Abraxas, sharp herbal, and myrrh. Within a few minutes those are gone completely on me and then it goes into the sweet grass phase. It smells like sweet grass left in the sun in sunflower oil for the next 10 to 15 minutes then it goes back to the initial hint of syrupy myrrh, a honey sweetness like Abraxas (I actually put it on the other hand to compare and the honey is very similar), and a lighter blonde wood note, that maybe frankincense or maybe cedar. This is not to say it smells like Abraxas it just has a honey sweetness common, this is a much lighter scent with a wood edge. There is also a note that smells like amber paste, sort of high strung, but its grounded and softened by the herbal note and the honey, myrrh syrup combo. It almost reminds me of black strap molasses.
willworkforvanilla
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by willworkforvanilla »

I'm getting plenty of honey in this blend. It's the dark sort of honey. It's very robust. Behind the honey is a light amber note. I'm really digging Possets amber notes. They are always perfect and never really go too powdery. I am picking up on plenty of incense. The description is correct. This incense isn't smoky. Someone said it reminded them of walking into room with thick drapes that incense had previously been burned in...I would say that is about a accurate description of Holy Holy Holy,

It's unique. I don't have much like it in my collection.

It's a big bottle for sure.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I love Cambienne's honey, but amber (from anyone's perfumes) tend to go all potato starchy on me. Not an odor I really want to have associated with me. any others with amber that compare to this one? :cry:
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I'm copying my review from the main thread in case others want my initial thoughts on how this worked for me straight from the mail box (and who maybe aren't reading the main thread).
Holy Holy Holy in the bottle is a soft wood incense mingled with what seems to be dry and sweet amber. On my skin, this is delicious. I'm beginning to run out of words and ideas (feeling a bit scent overwhelmed at the moment) but, so far, this and Silver Vanilla are my favorites of what I've tried tonight. This one has a dry edge which keeps it from feeling mushy--almost like wood shavings on the floor highlighted by sunbeams coming through a tall window. It has an underlying sweetness that keeps the dry from being too austere. The incense is gentle and balanced (no head-shoppy incense here). This perfume was perfectly described by Fabienne: it surrounds you in clouds of happy light. This feels like I am sitting in an empty room with a warm gold wood floor, while light pours in from huge windows, and all I am doing is looking at how bright and warm everything feels and is. As it dries further, I'm getting an almost clover essence mingling with the other notes. I think this one has honey in the description, but this is not super sweet. All of the notes feel delicately balanced, playing off of each other in a joyful dance that makes the wearer feel happier simply by being in the same area. This feels unisex to me, but it's a soft unisex--and made for drawing a lover in close to snuggle and simply breathe together. This feels happy, calm, and very serene.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Updating a little to say that I wore this today, and for the first few minutes I got pencil shavings which surprised me--I was not expecting that at all. There's something about this one that reminds me of one from the last release and I am struggling to put a finger on it. I think the one I'm thinking of is Limbo. I am not where I can grab my bottles to sniff, but I think that's the one it reminds me of, but, if I remember correctly, Limbo had more spice to it and this one is a bit more dry. This one seems to get eaten up by my skin. I had it pretty steady on me for about two hours, then after that it seemed to just fade out. When I sniff my arm, I can get a little bit but not much. At first I thought maybe it was me just getting used to it, but I met up with a friend and I asked her to sniff me to guess what type of perfume I was wearing and she was like, "You're wearing perfume?" I slathered this one on this morning too so I thought she would have gotten something, but all she got was a general sweetness when she got really close to my skin.

This is pretty, but I keep coming back to thinking that it reminds me of what I think may be Limbo but without the spice and softened down some.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

The first time I tried this it was all honey and amber on me. Lovely, but why am I not getting incense? :huh:
Third try, I finally started getting incense.
Mysterious.
I want to grab my decant of Limbo now!
I know, not very helpful but there it is.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

Wet: syrupy amber/honey and incense.

Drying: This gets less sweet as it dries, and I am getting the myrrh now as well, with its slightly metallic tang. The incense is more strong than the honey now, and seems a bit smokey to me too. The honey smelled caramel-ish at first, but becomes a lighter translucent scent, almost herbal, and eventually fades out under the myrrh.

Full drydown: I also get the similarity to Abraxas that others mentioned. This scent is lighter, myrrh-heavy. The incense is delicate (not nag champa, more like a Chinese incense) and is borderline soapy or floral. It's thin and airy. This is more feminine and airy - less temple brazier and more elegant drawing room - to me.

I was hoping for a richer, warmer, heavier scent, but that's not what my skin chemistry is giving me.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings