Love

This group of Yule scents was inspired by Dante who wrote Il Paradisio and another epic poem about Purgatory. Rich in tone, these are a wonderful combination of the most beautiful musks, fabulous resins, celestial coconuts with ferns, iris, candy, and the sweet imagination which Possets puts in all of their works.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: Subtle and persistent, indefinable yet always recognized when true and real. Love does not broadcast violently but seems to be a natural part of your being. Dragons' Blood, skin musk, golden musk, 2 Oriental ambers, and a silk extract.

A wonderful representation of the ineffable, yet that which all of us have to define. Sweet, pretty, innocent, totally captivating. Very, very, very feminine.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Boudicca

Re: Love

Post by Boudicca »

A wonderful representation of the ineffable, yet that which all of us have to define.
This effs the ineffable.
Sorry, that's sort of a rip off of a Douglas Adams quote:
“Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.”
Anyway. Sorry, it's one of those mornings and my review is going to be inadequate so I'm stalling.

Is Dragons' Blood supposed to be fruity? Because it's coming across that way to me here. Also, I would swear there is red musk in this. It's just slightly reminiscent of Shah Jahan and Mumtaz or Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. If you like either of those I think you will like this. It's pretty. The musk is just a tad powdery. Maybe that's the amber(s). In the bottle and when wet it really gets your attention. Yes, definitely very feminine. The silk extract adds a nice touch.

Argh. I'm having a hard time using my words, lol. Let's just say I'm liking this one.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Boudicca wrote: This effs the ineffable.
:rofl:

Also, bless you for working in Douglas Adams.

After your description I'm all the more impatient for my bottle to arrive! I love Shah & Mumtaz.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

I am enjoying Love so much. Funnily, though, my experience of it is quite different from the description. "Subtle... pretty, innocent"? Nope, it's none of those things on me--and I love that about it! :)

The Dragon's Blood is very present, and I'm getting the silk as well. As it dries down and the other notes come out to play, Love becomes gorgeously opulent, rich, rather adult and sophisticated. It's very smooth, but there's a definite smolder going on! I agree with Boudicca that it's wonderfully reminiscent of Shah & Mumtaz, but there's also a resemblance to another stunningly seductive Posset, Fire Flakes. This is a womanly fragrance rather than a girlish one.

On me, this is good and strong--which, again, I love. I can definitely see wearing this to elegant nights out during winter; in fact, I think I'll wear it to the symphony this Saturday. Mmm. This is really a splendid fragrance, and I think it could become an enduring classic. :hrt::

Update: I had to come back to note that the drydown on Love is lingering and beautiful. :heartrise:

Also, just wanted to clarify a point, if it was unclear: when I said Love wasn't "pretty," what I meant is that its beauty is too powerful to fall under the heading of mere prettiness. I hope that makes sense.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Further update! I let my coworker try Love yesterday--she fell in love at first sniff--and this morning she was rhapsodizing about how lasting it was. She said that on her it lasted 20 hours! I wasn't sure in my own case if it was really that lasting or if I'd just gotten some on my clothes (or both), but it is definitely one of the most long-lived possets I've tried. And, I have to say again, just so lovely. :hrt::
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

I have to agree with Petticoats, this is no shy scent. Lots of dragon's blood in the bottle and when freshly applied. It does recede into the whole fairly quickly, so don't be frightened away by that (if you aren't a fan). This makes me think of some sort of exotic, expensive perfume. I get the amber notes, slightly powdery. The musk notes here are very nice, very sexy. I think the silk extract may have been mingling with the dragon's blood initially, making it feel more potent. Something about this makes me think very much of an extravagant, exotic incense. No smokiness though, just that nice underlying powdery feeling from the ambers. I find this very classic, but also quite unique. I do agree that something about the musks and dragon's blood is tricking my nose into thinking there is red musk here, but not as sweet as red musk tends to be on me. Very good! Looking forward to a full wear on this one :)

ETA: The Dragon's Blood made a resurgence on one wrist. It has turned almost masculine. I'm reserving judgment though, since I tested on the backs of my wrists, rather that the inside, where I normally wear scent. The backs of my wrists can sometimes produce strange results.
sertso
mortal
mortal

Post by sertso »

On me this is very much a foreground scent at first, probably because I slathered it on like I do most Possets. Next time I'll try a lot less.

But from the first it was fascinating. Dragon's Blood very much there, and a lot to spice it up, but I really don't peg any specific ingredient.

After about 6 hours it was tamed down to more the level I like, but at no time did it cease to be fascinating. I really like it, but can't say why--it's not the round, darkish scent I typically like. Still, the nose on the wrist seems anchored by superglue . . . :hrt::
willworkforvanilla
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by willworkforvanilla »

Hot D%@* this stuff is good.

There is a big shot of dragons blood here :pom: along with amber. This is really very beautiful.

I think I am picking up on the "silk" thing. To my nose it smells a bit like J&J baby oil. Not exactly like it of course, it's just enough to pick up on the similarity. I for one love J&J baby oil for the smell alone so this is right up my alley.

Please don't think I am saying that this blends smells like J&J. It doesn't. All I mean is that there is a slight similarity lurking about in the middle of this blend. Love is still a scent all her own.

Dang I really love this. It's what I am wearing today and I brought the decant with me to reapply before dinner out.

Seriously, this collection has been just so good. I can't say that Love is my favorite, but it's very much on my big bottle list (I have a lot of this collection on that list :gaah: )
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I am only nervous, again, about the amber.... :huh:
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I'm copying my review from the main thread in case others want my initial thoughts on how this worked for me straight from the mail box (and who maybe aren't reading the main thread).
Love in the bottle is very clean and light with a sweetness of fruit edge without being any definable fruit. On my skin, this has the thinness of watermelon juice to my nose and begins to deepen almost immediately while still retaining a thin delicacy to it. There's something in it that reminds me of The Moon, but in The Moon it's deeper and stronger (more perfumey, perhaps?). I definitely get the Dragon's blood (which seems to veer between a patchouli and nag champa on me), the silk essence, and a touch of amber. This has a Renaissance festival air to it, which makes it seem both seductive and very innocent with a scruffy edge.
Adding an update: the longer this has been on my skin, the more exotic it becomes and reminds me more of walking by Renaissance fair booths with all of the perfumes out and on display and mingling in the air. It definitely has a smolder going on (as mentioned above) and I do like the smolder edge, but the more I sniff it the more the migraine beginning to build is beginning to tap dance in my head. I'm thinking that this one should be applied carefully by scent sensitive folks (it's only this one that sends my brain cells scrambling each time I pick my arm up to sniff the different dots I've applied).
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!