Saturn-The Contemplatives

This group of Yule scents was inspired by Dante who wrote Il Paradisio and another epic poem about Purgatory. Rich in tone, these are a wonderful combination of the most beautiful musks, fabulous resins, celestial coconuts with ferns, iris, candy, and the sweet imagination which Possets puts in all of their works.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Saturn-The Contemplatives

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: A complex beauty which almost begs you to make love with your mind alone. If you have ever climaxed at just the though of your beloved, that is what this perfume is built upon.

Deceptive, difficult, addictive. Almost out of reach but within fingertip distance. This is a cool chic beauty which is bedevilingly familiar and tantalyzingly unavailable. Galbanum, myrrh and tansey, a small amount of calendula and a very tiny bit of freesia. A stunner.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Chime
archangel
archangel

Re: Saturn-The Contemplatives

Post by Chime »

Initial application - Herbal-like, almost bitter (but not), reminds me of orris root or crushed plants. No hint of sweetness whatsoever. Reminds me of the posset 'stunning'.

As it dries it becomes less sharp and herbal, and I might be crazy but it also has that scent of "just picked" mushrooms.

The dry down is mostly in the same character only now it is orris root/raw mushrooms in a wet wooden box. weird but not unpleasant.

The final dry down and what holds for hours later- this is actually softened a lot. Smells like a mixture between Stunning and Neptune.
codexnocturna.blogspot.com
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Starts out with a nice bite of galbanum. Then I swear I get that silk extract like in Love. Weird? That might be what Chime interprets as orris maybe? I don't get anything mushroomy, lol. The dry down is softer and very nice.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
willworkforvanilla
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by willworkforvanilla »

I wasn't going to review any of my decants just yet, I wanted them to settle a bit then take them all out on a good test drive.

Silver Vanilla was just so good I had to do one. My curiosity got the best of me so I started popping open decant after decant initially smelling them without actually applying them. Then I hit Saturn.

At first I had such a head jerk reaction that I wondered why exactly I had decided to order this. I checked the notes and am still confused what it was that made me order it. None of the notes are really my thing, besides myrrh and I don't think myrrh being in this was enough to make me buy this. I'm not sure what it was that had my attention here enough to order.

First sniff from bottle. Phew....burned coffee, really sour burned coffee. Like the kind that has sat on the bottom of the pot while the burner has been on all day. You know it's not coming off without lots of scrubbing and cussing.

I put the lid back on the vial and made a mental note to swap that one fast.

Since it is Christmas week we are super slow here, I went back to my decants. I cautiously opened up Saturn again and was smacked in the face with burned coffee. I put a tiny little drop on the back of my hand and hoped for the best. I went on to file and type and kept going back to my hand. It was still burned coffee and this was amping. Good grief...what have I done?

About the time I went to wash this off...something extraordinary happened. I held my hand to my nose...and it wasn't awful. It was...good. Now I have no idea what tansy is or smells like but I do know somewhat about the other notes and this is what I am getting.

Lots of myrrh and lots of galbanum. It's bitter but in a really good and interesting way. It's not "green" and doesn't smell like plants to me. This is good because galbanum can sometimes smell too green. I am also picking up a lot on the freesia. Like A LOT and I think that is what is giving this scent her beauty. This is beautiful only not in the obvious scent. This is refined and sophisticated. It's not pretty or light...it's dark and seductive.

I am not getting any mushroom smell at all. But occasionally I get cough syrup and powder? That disappears as soon as it shows up and doesn't actually hurt the scent like you would think it would.

There is nothing sweet about the concoction (like another review has already said).

I need the Mr. to make the final say on whether I am getting a big bottle. Something in this blend draws me...but at the same time it's a bit uncomfortable on too. It's hard to explain but something about this scent is making me feel a bit on edge. If he loves it, then I will get the big bottle.

I'm torn...really I am. I love this, but I don't. I want more...but I don't. Ahhhhhhh!!!!

It's long wearing and the throw isn't all up in your face. Hours later I keep going back to the back of my hand and it is still very much there.

Hats off to Fabienne for making something that smells beautiful and feels so other worldly. It's a remarkable blend for sure. If Maleficent wore a posset this would be her signature scent. Maybe that’s it. Maybe…to me this smells….evil? Hmmm don’t know but I will ponder it. :tfb:
Last edited by willworkforvanilla on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

willworkforvanilla wrote:About the time I went to wash this off...something extraordinary happened. I held my hand to my nose...and it wasn't awful. It was...good... Something in this blend draws me...but at the same time it's a bit uncomfortable on too. It's hard to explain but something about this scent is making me feel a bit off edge. If he loves it, then I will get the big bottle.

I'm torn...really I am. I love this, but I don't. I want more...but I don't. Ahhhhhhh!!!!
Possets has done this to me more than any other perfume company, and I think that's one reason I keep coming back. Other companies, when I hate the perfume, it stays hated. Possets somehow has a way of making me go, "Ick! No!" and then falling in love. I've had some that have stayed no-goes, but I've had so many turn on me in unexpectedly beautiful ways and made me realize I was judging the fragrance much too soon. I tell my friends who try my perfumes they are not allowed to wash one off unless they are literally gagging or their skin is burning. I make them wait an hour before scrubbing. So many times they have come back with, "I fell in love with that one." :wink:
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Maya wrote:
willworkforvanilla wrote:About the time I went to wash this off...something extraordinary happened. I held my hand to my nose...and it wasn't awful. It was...good... Something in this blend draws me...but at the same time it's a bit uncomfortable on too. It's hard to explain but something about this scent is making me feel a bit off edge. If he loves it, then I will get the big bottle.

Possets has done this to me more than any other perfume company, and I think that's one reason I keep coming back. Other companies, when I hate the perfume, it stays hated. Possets somehow has a way of making me go, "Ick! No!" and then falling in love. I've had some that have stayed no-goes, but I've had so many turn on me in unexpectedly beautiful ways and made me realize I was judging the fragrance much too soon. I tell my friends who try my perfumes they are not allowed to wash one off unless they are literally gagging or their skin is burning. I make them wait an hour before scrubbing. So many times they have come back with, "I fell in love with that one." :wink:
Same for me Maya. I am very intrigued by this one. I love Neptune, and if this one is similar, even in association.... And this scent is grabbing at me.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Damn, damn, and damn! I lurves this one! willworkforvanilla was kind enough to send some decants my way. I will do a proper review when I've had the chance to give it more time on my skin, but I had to say this is one of the most unusual and beautiful scents.

This is one of those scents, that if it doesn't make it, makes me sad that it won't be in the world. It needs to be. It goes on all herbal and medicinal, which is something I like, but your mileage may vary. It smells like a wooden box carried by a wise woman to heal the sick. It has an almost licorice smell. And I love this stage. As it dries down it becomes softer, and smoother. As it warms, it smooths out, becomes creamy and beautiful, the sandalwood really comes to its own, smoothing over all the notes until they blend gorgeously.

And to add more...

On the dry down it becomes this creamy, sandalwood, and a spicy quality. I don't mean cinnamon or any spice specifically, just a general sense of spice. The freesia (which worried me, florals and I don't get along) is there, but with the sandalwood, it just adds a depth to the perfume. This is an amazing creation, really just phenomenal. I need a big bottle before it goes bye bye.
sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut »

Very nice. Saturn is a hybrid of Hatshepsut and Dominions. It has the woods and galbanum of Hatshepsut and the sweetness and strong amber of Dominions. Thank-you to Chime for selling me her bottle.