Jupiter-The Just Rulers

This group of Yule scents was inspired by Dante who wrote Il Paradisio and another epic poem about Purgatory. Rich in tone, these are a wonderful combination of the most beautiful musks, fabulous resins, celestial coconuts with ferns, iris, candy, and the sweet imagination which Possets puts in all of their works.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jupiter-The Just Rulers

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: Clove and copra (dried and expressed coconut), grey musk, violet leaf, myrtle, and magic.

A fragrance with welcome gravitas, something to make you feel sophisticated but with a wink. A great queen has a twinkle in her eyes and a high keyed understanding of human nature. This perfume could have been worn by Elizabeth I or II. Sexy benevolence.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jupiter-The Just Rulers

Post by Maya »

I am allllll about some clove so I had to get this one. When I got my package open last night, I sniffed this one but wanted to hold off on a mini review because it seemed so gentle compared to the other fragrances. I am all fresh (although that could be a relative thing) and ready to go today, so here's my review!

In the bottle: I get what comes across as very dry coconut (nothing sweet to it at all), something sour, a very dry and dusty green, and something I can't quite put my finger on. I'm also getting something that comes across as a little fuzzy--which may be the gray musk.

On my skin: Very dry coconut. Musk, but it's more of a general musk to me. And that sour note.

As it dries, the notes flip around a bit, merge, wiggle, wiggle some more. The dry coconut remains pretty steady but shifts down a hair. I'm pretty sure I'm smelling the violet leaf in here because it's not something I smell often in terms of notes, and I'm wondering if that's what is adding that slightly sour note--although the sour is fading rapidly. This is beginning to smooth out a lot.

As it continues to dry: This is going very soft and snuggly very quickly, but it's doing so in a way that doesn't make me think it's fading, it's just coming into its own. When I close my eyes and sniff, I get the image of a very soft gray wool dress from the 1800s in my mind. Something like this: http://www.mfa.org/collections/object/20300 but in a very sooooft gray wool with a few more pristine white accents and without the ruffles.

As it dries further: The coconut here reminds me a bit of Cri de Couer (although that fragrance is sweeter on me than this one). The sourish note still lifts its head occasionally and I'm still thinking that may be part of the violet leaf. It has a softly herbal edge. Something in this also comes across with a tinge on the camphor side--which I think is that sour and something else mingling with the coconut--and that all leads me back to the violet leaf.

I just looked at the notes and I noticed that myrtle is in here. Perhaps the myrtle is giving that slightly camphored edge and the sour is the violet leaf (or those two mingling together).

Final thoughts: it is fully dry on my skin, but still has not "aged" there so my thoughts may change, but my general impression is that this is a very gentle fragrance although it does have decent throw. It's dry, no spices to be found, and comes across as somewhat floral without being floral (floral in a dry way, not lush and flowery). It also comes across as slightly herbal (but in a soft and silvery sage kind of way: nothing harsh or astringent to it). For someone who digs resins and spices and orientals, this is not my typical kind of perfume, but there is something about it that is very appealing. It has a very soothing aspect to it. It's steady and understated, but it has a firm strength behind it. The coconut adds a dry creaminess to this and adds to the feeling of calm. If a perfume can be wise, gentle, and firm at the same time, it is this one.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

This is so different and so attractive. I think I ordered it because of the clove, but it's not a "clove" posset the way The Ruined Reputation or Guinevere is--but it's completely addictive.

And it's really, really hard to describe. I do get the dry coconut quality of the copra, and it mingles with a rather restrained clove, and somehow mixed with everything else it comes out kind of poised and stately, even dignified (except that conjures up a stuffy quality that is totally not the case), and yet surprising because it does flirt just a little with foodiness, especially when it's wet. But as it dries down there's a wonderful depth to it.

How to describe it? It’s... I don’t know, classy but original, intriguing? It draws you in without being flirty... the overall effect is so attractive but poised, doesn’t try too hard. ARGH I can’t explain it but I must have a big bottle.

It has presence, which I really like. If I'd had my decant of this when I went on my job interview earlier this week, I probably would have worn this, because it projects a kind of poised, quietly confident bearing but still is so attractive and original... and still sweet enough to be feminine. It doesn't yell for attention but definitely gets it. It's grown-up in the most elegant and exciting way.

I don't understand it, but I love it.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

I had to follow up on my review when I realized that part of what is so attractive about Jupiter is that it reminds me of Sex in Heaven. The more it dries down, the more I get the resemblance. The copra must be what is resembling the blend in SIH of coconut and sandalwood. Jupiter is overall a quieter fragrance, and it strikes me as a bit more subtle--although I haven't done a side-by-side test--but it's very appealing.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by stellamaris »

I do tend to buy the "least popular" or what I assume is so by the review count, as I think often that the popular ones may get voted into the GC, and so it was with Jupiter, and I am so glad for my weird system. This one is amazing, and like 3 5 8 I might have never tried it.
It is very dry, and the coconut is prominent, but it's the fresh kind not the cookie kind.
This one is very fresh and unisex to me, another winner.