1000 Roses

Everything from chic chypres, to gorgeous gourmandy fragrances, to plush resins and more.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

1000 Roses

Post by Boudicca »

Possets description: High centered blood red hybrid teas, tiny baby pink polyanthas, stately grandifloras (yellow), English roses with quatrefoil cups and subtle apricot color. The defining bouquet caught from the master hands at greenhouses and other magical rose wranglers. The fruity and spicy, the classic and obviously artfully made. Unabashed beauty.It would not be Valentine's Day without masses of roses.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1000 Roses

Post by Maya »

In the bottle: red roses, pink heirloom roses, yellow roses, the feeling of soft apricot, a little touch of rose soap, a faint hint of green.

On my skin: apple peel? What? Yep, faint hint of green apple peel. The roses dropped down to the background, but they are still present. Rose soap is rising quickly. Rose water (I use some on my face, and this definitely has some of that fresh rose water feel).

As it dries: This continues to shift around a lot between all of the notes mentioned above. Something a little green and sharp/tangy keeps lurking around. I do get a very fresh rose note from this, and I also get the rose soap vibe, and those two are fighting it out.

As it continues to dry. Sharp almost herbal rose soap. In fact, it feels so soapy, when I close my eyes and sniff, I almost expect to feel bubbles in my nose from an accidental inhale of soap. Riding along with that is the very fresh almost raspberryish note of fresh rose. I really want that fresh rose to linger, but this continues to head steadily toward that rose soap territory. Every now and then that green apple peel note comes up to dance around the soap and fresh rose.

Drydown: The soap backs off a bit, but still stays present. The fresh rose note comes forward then gets very shy and backs right off (I think the soap has a pillow and is trying to smother the fresh rose when I'm not looking). I still get a little bit of that bitter green apple peel coming up now and then. Overall, this isn't as soapy as some rose fragrances I've tried, and it does have a fresh and bright vibe that keeps popping its head up. (I think the soap is trying to smother that one too, though.)

Conclusion: this is a lot of rose. Part of it plays well with my skin, but (very sadly) the other part feels like I'm stuck in a Victorian inspired bathroom with rose wallpaper, rose scented toilet paper, rose colored hand towels with embroidered roses on the hem, and rose soaps tucked in drawers, laid out for use, and lined up around the toilet. If you ADORE roses, this fragrance is probably for you. If your skin decides it hates roses (even though you love the smell of them), this one might make you feel a little claustrophobic. I'm not quite at the scrubitoffscrubitoffohmygoodnessscrubitoff stage, so that's a good sign, but I think I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that roses are just not meant for my skin. :cry:
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Adding that the longer this sits on my skin, the more the throw is all roses, but what's directly on my skin comes across as not all roses. If you go by throw alone, this one is pure roses--and a nice rounded variety of them. On my skin is a touch of bitterness (almost like bleach), roses, and something that comes across as a paper vibe. But, the throw is really lovely. So I would say if you aren't sure about this one, be sure to judge it not just what's on your skin but what's in the air around you.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

I usually love the rose Possets, but this one isn't working for me. It's on the sharp side, veering almost toward soapiness, and quickly overpowering even with just a small patch test. I actually get along much better with the rose in Velvet Riding Habit in this collection, which is the opposite of what I'd expected. Just goes to show that it's always smart (for me and my wacky chemistry, at least) to buy decants!
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by stellamaris »

I agree with Maya that this does not smell all rose to me, but surely roses with ??? It's very light and lovely though perfect for when I am craving roses. It has a sort of old timey vibe to it, like how I imagine Victorian perfume might have smelled.
celandine
primordial
primordial

Post by celandine »

Testing for Retour, decant from Ajevie:

Maya's review is spot on for me. I got a decant of 1000 Roses because I'd heard a lot of people rave about it but I'm also getting a lot of rose soap from this one. Even in the bottle I get a lot more green (stems and yes, green apple) than rose. Recently snagged a bottle of St. Fabian and it smells much more like real, fresh roses to me. As others mentioned, I do get a whiff of roses every once in a while - strange that the lingering scent is so much different than the skin scent!