Daring

Everything from chic chypres, to gorgeous gourmandy fragrances, to plush resins and more.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Daring

Post by Boudicca »

Possets description: A daring idea to pair jasmine and patchouli in the right balance so each bolsters the other and no one dominates, yet the two elements are in such a surprisingly perfect harmony that you wonder why this hasn't been done many times before. There is a tremendously woody aspect to this one, but that is more due to the ingredients being blended in the correct proportions. Somehow this one comes off like a woman with a formidable intellect.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
willworkforvanilla
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Daring

Post by willworkforvanilla »

Oh first review…oh the pressure!
I love jasmine. It’s one of those comfort scents I use when I need to distress or try to sleep. Everyone always goes on and on about how relaxing lavender is…but for my money nothing calms you down like jasmine. I also love patchouli when it’s done correctly. Sometimes patchouli can be way to harsh and cheap smelling.
When it’s done right, it can ground a sweet scent, give it depth and adds the right amount of earthiness to a blend.

That is exactly what Daring is. It’s sweet and comforting, but with a dept and earthiness that makes it very complex.
I’m trying to describe it and not finding the correct words. It’s simple yet complex and smells like it should, the perfect blending of jasmine and patchouli.

I trusted Fabienne that this is was the perfect blend of the two scents and I am so glad I did. I just closed my eyes and ordered the big bottle and I would be very upset with myself if I hadn’t. If you like jasmine and if you like patchouli you should get this now. You won’t be sorry. It does remind me of an intelligent woman, but it also has a soft quality that makes this very very pretty not that intelligent woman aren’t pretty but this calls to mind a very confident, smart beautiful lady.

As I am writing this, a coworker followed her nose to find what smelled so good. It was me…so I got a compliment right out the gate. Pretty good I would say. This has very good throw.

This smells so good. I have kept my wrist under my nose since I got my bottle.

I doubt this makes it to GC. There hasn’t been that much buzz about it, so I may need to get a back up to hold me over until retour because this is really special. I am going to be wearing this a lot.
Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Post by Narcisse »

The jasmine is most certainly the star of this scent, the patchouli is very light and almost twiggy if that's a feasible fake adjective to use. When it starts out it's all jasmine, its not indolic, but it creeps a little toward it. After about 15 minutes it smells like jasmine with black tea in the background, I don't where the tea hails from, maybe it was growing on the plantation next to the patchouli and decided to stow away on the trip over. It then, on me, goes into Chinese restaurant tea; the classic jasmine tea, it's been on for over an hour and this is where it has stayed. The jasmine is more the background note and the tea stow away seems to have gone a little mental and is holding hostage the guileless patchouli, I may get traces of it in the end as patchouli has the best longevity of most scents. If the patchouli is what would deter you from this scent it really shouldn't, it may deepen with age and this is a fresh from the mail, but at present it's a lovely jasmine tea scent.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Narcisse wrote:It then, on me, goes into Chinese restaurant tea; the classic jasmine tea, it's been on for over an hour and this is where it has stayed.
I have SO been looking for a scent like this. Looks like this has to go on the list.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Quick review:

This surprises me. It has an oude vibe fresh on the skin, with a hint of soapy jasmine, then just keeps dropping into woods land with faint traces of jasmine (and the soap fading quickly). The longer it's on the skin, the more I get an anise vibe (but that dry wood sense that anise has, not necessarily the smell of anise itself).

This one is compelling me to try it all by itself soon. I like it, but am trying to wrap my brain around all of it. Much prettier than I expected, without being cloying or too femme.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Adding that the more this one is on my skin, the more I am REALLY falling for it. I'm not (yet) getting the jasmine tea scent, but this is such a beautiful pairing that I agree, I do not know how this combo has been overlooked. The jasmine comes across as very creamy (with almost a coconut cream vibe it's that creamy. I would also lean toward magnolia creamy or gardenia creamy--in fact, this does remind me a teeeeny bit of gardenias) and the jasmine soap vibe is completely gone leaving nothing but beautiful creamy jasmine flower. The patchouli is such a beautiful balance to this, rounding out the cream with some grit, balancing the whole. And what is on my skin right now is FAR removed from what I get in the bottle. The bottle is heavy on the patchouli. My skin is a beautiful combination of the jasmine and patchouli. (I just noticed I'm using beautiful a lot to describe this. It's a fitting word for this fragrance.)

This would be great for a dressy occasion. It has that classy classic opulent vibe. But, but, oh BUT! it would also be great for everyday wear, where you just want to feel like strolling out in something lovely because it's what you have and what you can do. Very very pretty. I think this could be a sleeper hit. I hope more people can try (or have tried) it. It's much more intriguing, interesting, balanced, and lovely than I expected. A clear standout in this collection, for me.

Side note: I have my mother here with me today. I am loving this one so much, I had her put it on. She immediately went, "Mmmmm! I like this one!" Sometimes she and I have similar likes, but we also don't always mesh in what works for us. The fact that this is gorgeous on both of us says a lot about it right now.

This is definitely vote worthy, for me.
Floria
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Floria »

I get mostly jasmine with this - the patchouli stays close to the skin. It is a lovely jasmine, sweet and tropical and not too stanky-heady. It reminds me a bit of Shah Jahan & Mumtaz Mahal, with the sweet tropical floral and the patchouli base, although SJ&MM is a richer and more complicated scent, and the jasmine here is a bit sweeter and doesn't have the slight tang of SJ&MM's ylang ylang.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I reviewed this one again today (going through my stash and paring down to what I know I really want to keep and what will be finding better homes). It always ALWAYS fascinates me how things shift after having had time to sit, our experiences change, our noses change, our skin changes.

Here is my updated review:

At first sniff, in the bottle Daring comes across as almost medicinal. The patchouli is striking, making me think of vetiver in how bracing it is. Immediately under that I get a sense of more vetiver mixed with a brown sugar note (without the sweetness), a soft almost powdery floral, and a rough silk edge that verges on wood.

On my skin: this patchouli is not a headshop hippy one at all. It's more grassy, with a faint hint of pencil shavings. It immediately opens up into floral essence, roughed up and gritted over somewhat by the patchouli. This one is perfume with a P. It feels like a cool beauty wearing a little black dress, giving you an assessing look--wondering if you'll measure up to her standards. Which could be intimidating, but then you realize the little black dress is paired with Converse.

As this dries, it retains a classic edge and vibe, but continues to be a bit fun (and a touch flirty) underneath. I still get a sense of pencil shavings, mixed with perhaps some fizzy ginger ale. It's soft, but bracing. This would pair well with an Important Event (with a light hand, as this could go into Invasion of Personal Space territory if applied too liberally), but also would be equally at home with a t-shirt and errands.

I don't get a lot of jasmine out of this one, but there is a very lovely soft white floral note that winds through this one and plays with that woody/grassy perfume vibe of the patchouli (that seems to want to pretend to be vetiver today). This is utterly classic. Cool. Aloof. Polished and pampered. But it also has softness, warmth, charm, and a touch of fizz.

Edited to add that as the hours went by, this one became more soft dark cola mixed with wood floor (old, but carefully maintained), with that flower note weaving through. This is sweet without any sugar. Almost having some of that black musk vibe that is so lovely in Possets in that it can be warm, sweet, but not cloying, but this isn't black musk at all--if anything brown and gold and still retaining the hardness of hard wood.

The waft of this seems to pick up more of the wood, and at times comes across a little wood pulp-ish, but for the most part really remains what feels like an utterly classic perfume. I would wear this to France and walk into a shop or wear it out in the evening for social occasion, mixing it up between the two (casual and formal) without a qualm.

This one is definitely one of my keepers, probably more so for special occasions, when I want to feel decadent.