Grande

Everything from chic chypres, to gorgeous gourmandy fragrances, to plush resins and more.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Grande

Post by Boudicca » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:20 pm

Possets description: Very Grand, very sensuous...a new twist on chypre using very orthodox ingredients but adding a few new ones to whet your appetite. Oakmoss and fougere, with San Salvadorian vetivert, the smallest amount of Siberian Birch, a very small drop of the famous Possets lavender. Deep and sophisticated, this is what you would wear to seduce a duke, and a jaded duke at that. A drop of black walnut essence seals the deal.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

hill78
principalities
principalities

Re: Grande

Post by hill78 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:53 pm

Hmmm.....a lot of vetivert in the bottle and a good rush of it when applied, but it is gone in a flash. The vetivert here reminds me of Death. But it is gone so fast, and I wish it had lingered. On me this becomes very old fashioned, borderline "old-lady" very quickly. In small doses, perhaps for a dressy night out, I could work it, but this definitely wouldn't be an everyday sort of fragrance for me. I would also need to apply sparingly, otherwise I am afraid that my skin would amp it into crazy strong territory. I can't really pick out the lavender (darn!). I think primarily I am getting the fougere and oakmoss. The birch may be helping to sweeten up the base a teensy bit, but I can't truly pick it out. Very traditional, sophisticated, night time fragrance.

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:32 pm

As a chypre lover, I'm really looking forward to my decant of this. *Runs to check mailbox again*

But am I the only one who hears this song in my head whenever I see the name?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSWrEZ8q5ck

One of the best sitcom themes ever, IMHO.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Angewl
mortal
mortal

Post by Angewl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:39 pm

Oh, man. This is my favorite of the ones I've tried so far. And I know why too... *cough* oakmoss *cough*
It does remind me a bit of Heka. I don't like it more than Heka, but I do like it a lot.
It lasts all day, but isn't overwhelming.
Something about it leans gourmand (my friend thought it was a foody scent at first; smelled it a second time and changed his mind).
I can't pick out any specific notes except for the oakmoss, due to my nose not being trained to detect chypres, fougere, birch, or vetivert, but it's well blended and smooth.
I'd have to agree that this is a seduction scent. ;)
But really though, you need to try this.

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:41 pm

This is absolutely gorgeous, completely classic and elegant. I did a patch test the other day alongside a lot of the other Valentines, and my reaction was basically, "Another beautiful Possets chypre, must try again solo."

Tonight, wearing it solo, I am enraptured by its beauty. Definitely a classic, sophisticated elegance, a wonderful fragrance for an evening out or an important daytime event that demands high heels, sheer stockings, and a streamlined black or navy skirt suit. It's for when you don't want to blend into the woodwork but are perfectly at ease commanding everyone's attention.

If you like Death, Sorrow, Dark Lady, or Drama Queen, you'll almost certainly love this. It's magnificent. *Sigh*
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:11 am

Oh Angewi, I was so on the fence on this one. You made me WANT it!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Oh my. I'm trying this one now. Immediate eyes rolling into the back of the head in bliss moment.

As Angewi mentioned, the oakmoss is gorgeous in this. But it twines so beautifully around the other notes, and they are gorgeous too. Mmmm vetiver shines in here, although not as heavily as some vetiver perfumes I've smelled. This reads masculine, but it is straight sexy on a lady. (Although, I don't know if I've ever been "officially" declared a lady so that comment may be irrelevant.)

I think the birch is giving this a sweet edge--with almost a root beer fizzy essence without the sugar and the fizz is a little flat so you get just a teensy bit of a punch there. This is a power ballad in perfume. It's all "I will rock your world, but I will also sing to you of love."

Waaaaaay down at the bottom, I get a teeeeeensy bit of a hint of a note from Arc of Venus, and I'm wondering if the lavenders are similar to give me that vibe--although this lavender feels a bit softer, a bit more like Ponder (and I think that is also helping to sweeten up these notes a little). I also get a tiny smoke vibe, but I think that is coming from the vetiver as it softens down (some vetivers go smoky on my skin).

I'm really liking this one, and I'm struggling now with what I will vote for. I had a slot for two more after my initial purchase, and I'm pretty sure Daring should be one of those, but I also think this should be, but I still have a few more to try and if the trend continues I am going to have more I like than I have votes for. That's a good thing, but ohhhhh it's so hard.

This really is grande. And glorious. And rich. And deep and sexy and strong without being overwhelming (beautiful hand with such heavy-hitting notes like vetiver and oakmoss). Mmmmm this is definitely one of those perfumes that makes me say, "I'm so glad I have a bottle of this." I simply cannot stop sniffing my skin.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!