Bouquet a la Marechale

Sicily is awash in fragrances, some of the most famous are: lemon, blood orange, jasmine and bergamot, rosemary, myrtle, sage, basil, figs and cucumbers, coffee and pink pepper and sly violet. Possets plays with all those and brings in a few happy notes of our own to seduce your senses.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Bouquet a la Marechale

Post by Boudicca »

Possets description:
Named after a perfume in The Leopard which is worn by the lovely Angelica, I imagine this raven haired beauty to be surrounded by violet and bergamot, and a bewitching light touch of bay to keep the whole thing fresh. Just the sort of thing you would want to wear to a lavish ball which is going to last until 6 a.m.! You can never get tired of this one. An upbeat floral but with very herbal underpinnings.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Boudicca

Re: Bouquet a la Marechale

Post by Boudicca »

Initially this one was all green and clean and I was thinking "no". Then the violet emerged and pretty much took over. I like this and I like violet but I have quite a few violet scents so I do not think I will need a FB.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Bouquet a la Marechale

Post by marisaviola »

This is one of my favorites from the Sicilian Seduction Summer 2014 collection. I put it on today and it began as a fresh, green violet. The green notes in it temper any excess sweetness and it smells like Parma violets, with some green stems and surrounding plants adding their fragrance. As it developed on my skin there was a bit of delicate powder that reminds me of Devon violets, and the violet fragrance itself is still very fresh and green. It never gets too sweet, but it is deeply violet. I meant to write a review last year, but never did, and I voted for it to be made permanent, as I feel it's such a lovely rendition, and true violet perfumes that really capture the flower are hard to find. However, it did not make it--I wish now I had gotten a backup bottle, so I will be buying when there is a Retour!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Truly a classical violet perfume

Post by marisaviola »

I just wanted to do a follow-up post, as I retested my bottle of Bouquet a la Marechale recently to see how it has aged in the last year, and am seriously considering a back-up bottle this Retour. My bottle from last summer has aged beautifully, and has developed more depth. There are still the green notes, and the beauty of the flower has matured. To me, it has the richness of Parma violets, which are their own flavor, distinct from Toulouse or Devon type violets. This is a find. As a child, I was fortunate to sample Toulouse violets and violets by companies from Grasse. Those little glass bottles of florals were my first perfumes that I was given. Since then, over the years, I have researched and tried the violets of many big perfume companies, and those of the niche and Indy perfumers as well. I have loved some of them, but often violet is an ephemeral note and in eau de parfum, it usually does not last long. Also it can go soapy, or become very powdery and sweet. For me the epitome of violet species is that of violetta di Parma, those from Italy and the type of violets grown and introduced by Napoleon's second wife, Marie Louise of Austria, who became Duchess of Parma after Napoleon was exiled to Elba.

Now that it has had some time to sit and age, Bouquet a la Marechale reminds me of a bottle of gorgeous "Violetta di Parma" that was sold at Caswell-Massey in the early 1980's, when I was in college, that was created for Caswell-Massey by the house of Borsari. They stopped making this in the later 1980's. The next closest thing to this that I've found was a "Violetta" by Borsari eau de parfum that I got at a little pharmacy and drugstore in Italy in the later 1990's. Since then, when I was overjoyed through the internet to rediscover Borsari vioets, I have tried their "Violetta di Parma" currently available, and sadly, it smells to me nothing like the previous formula mentioned. Since Borsari began to be better known, the formula seems to have changed. The current Violetta di Parma by Borsari comes across to me as thin, very sugary and sickly sweet, and does not have any depth to my nose. Their violets smell to me like violet candies and not very nice ones.

I really loved Bouquet a la Marechale when I tried it last year, and got myself and a friend a bottle. Now that I am seeing how it's developing and really retaining that beautiful violet depth and perfume, I am treasuring it even more. It is not too sweet, it is the real deal and smells very true to the flower. I know that violet lovers seem to be in the minority (I was born in the wrong era, I think!) but for those who really love this flower, this is a rendition that really stands out to me. I wish it was available year-round for those in the public searching for a true violet, as it is rare to find one of this quality. I know, because I've tried.