Charybdis

Sicily is awash in fragrances, some of the most famous are: lemon, blood orange, jasmine and bergamot, rosemary, myrtle, sage, basil, figs and cucumbers, coffee and pink pepper and sly violet. Possets plays with all those and brings in a few happy notes of our own to seduce your senses.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Charybdis

Post by Boudicca » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Possets description:
The companion to Scylla, Chyribdus was the other rock which came together and crushed unwary sailors. She ran afoul of Zeus when she was defending her father's interests against the will of the Head of the Gods. She was associated with whirlpools and so I am using a very aquatic base to which I am adding a strong and serious grey musk, and a good shot of espresso because a girl can't do her best without a nice little espresso (which goes amazingly with the sea). This is a great atmospheric scent, it is strong and serious, a bit volatile and quite musky.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Charybdis

Post by Maya » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:29 pm

What I get from the bottle is getting VERY skewed by the Gelato: Stracciatella I had to sneak a try of, so I'm hoping this will be accurate lol.

In the bottle: I definitely get what I think of as a gray musk. It's a little fuzzy. I also am getting an aquatic note from this, but this is no Yankee Candle aquatic (thank goodness), it's more of a sweet seaweedy type note with a bit of what is typically seen as aquatic tossed in. The espresso rounds out the rest of this and gives it a grounding and somewhat earthy base (but it's a very light earthiness because this is not a heavy perfume at all).

On my skin: I'm also getting a shot of green that is making me think of the seaweed. The musk is very evident, so if you like musks you should try this. The espresso rounds this out, and I think it would be more noticed if the gelato wasn't so determined to be noticed, but what is there is a great balance to the whole. The espresso keeps it from being too sweet in the green area. This is much lighter than expected and very summery.

As it dries: the green/aquatic note is rising more making this more of an aquatic than I expected. Every now and then I'm afraid it's turning into Yankee Candle territory, then it veers away and hangs out more in that sweet green zone. The espresso in this is really what makes this a unique and tantalizing blend. Without it, this seems more like a typical aquatic with a different edge. But the espresso gives this depth and keeps it from being too sweet.

This definitely could be unisex. I could easily see a man wearing this and smelling awesome. I also see a woman with impeccable taste, wearing classic clothes and clean lines having this be a go-to scent as well. Very nice and a great summer fragrance--unless you live in a very humid climate then I think this might be a little heavy for that (but then just about anything is in the worst of the humid days). Having said that, this will be THE perfect pick-me-up in the gray and gloom of winter.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Smells gorgeous in the bottle, but goes through a fairly strong espresso stage when first on. My skin's making it smell like it has a slight bakery edge, which isn't so pleasant for me. Charybdis is a blend that requires patience, as it's on the dry that it really starts slotting into place. The espresso backs right off and the sweet, green aquatics move to the front. It's very pretty and summery, and hovers just on the border of being too sweet for me, but thankfully doesn't cross. I have unpopular taste when it comes to aquatics, and I like them bracing, which this isn't. It's less the sea to me, and more a warm sun dappled pool. I do like it a lot, though, and look forward to wearing it when the weather is warmer.

Jennifurious

Post by Jennifurious » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:38 am

This is surprisingly complex for such a simple idea. I only detect the espresso on immediate application. It's a dry and almost dusty(?) kind of coffee. Not unpleasant by any means, it just didn't read as the traditional kind of coffee note to me. That drops to the bottom and this really lovely aquatic bubbles up. Very sweet. More like a sea breeze than actual water. Pretty. Pretty. Pretty. I understand what the previous reviewer was saying about a "bakery" kind of vibe. To me it reads as a creamy sensation. (That sounds.......wrong.) I'm not sure if it's the musk or if someone added some steamed milk to their espresso, but it pairs beautifully with the salty ocean air. This is soft and comforting and I really do see it translating well for different seasons and types of weather.

sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:28 pm

This one is harder to describe than I thought. The espresso note is lovely but fades quickly. Then the grey musk and aquatics come in. I do not get that bracing dark blue ocean and sea air type scent. It is more like a green tide pool with lots of sea life. Charybdis is a lighter more charming version of Bpal's Halloween Innsmouth. This is a very unique type of scent that I think even people who do not care for aquatics will enjoy.

MageLocusta
primordial
primordial

Post by MageLocusta » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:51 pm

Being a born-and-raised thalassophile, I absolutely had to grab a decant of Charybdis because I fell in love with the notes (plus I love monster-ladies, and I've always been interested in the tragical horror that is Charybdis). And I just want to say that I LOVE the first five minutes of its application. I could practically smell a stormy, almost-cold smell of seawater churn up my arm (and it's got a PERFECT amount of sea salt into this. It almost seems to sparkle like real sea salt on my wrist).

The downside though, is that somehow the 'espresso' note smells more like a sticky Starbucks frappechino on my skin. When I received the perfume, I thought, "Hell yeah, I'm gonna smell like earthy espresso too!", only to realise, 'wait, what's this milk and sugar note doing in my espresso?!'. I'm not sure if it's my skin's reaction to grey musk or the espresso--but unfortunately I've had way too many frappes spilled on me to like the smell anymore. It's such a shame because the ocean note feels *sublime*, so while the sweet coffee keeps trying to dominate the scent--I will definitely try this fragrance on a scent locket and keep my fingers crossed. :gnome: