Mafia

Sicily is awash in fragrances, some of the most famous are: lemon, blood orange, jasmine and bergamot, rosemary, myrtle, sage, basil, figs and cucumbers, coffee and pink pepper and sly violet. Possets plays with all those and brings in a few happy notes of our own to seduce your senses.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Mafia

Post by Boudicca »

Possets description:
The Mafia is one of the best loved aspects of Sicily. Why? It's complicated...it has to do with love, death, daring, family, and sex. No mention of the island would be complete without the cosa nostra. It holds for us the fascination of the stare of a snake for a baby mouse. This perfume is an amazing tour de force featuring one of the most beautiful melon fragrances anywhere with a lovely neroli. The requisite lemon and Mediterranean jasmine which only blooms around June. Strong, complex, sexy as hell, slightly sinful (Ok, very sinful). This one is redolent with osmanthus, incense, and distant orange groves in full bloom.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Mafia

Post by Petticoats »

In bottle, ooh, beautiful. Soft, lovely.

Wet on skin: I'm definitely getting the melon, but now the other notes are coming forward. So lovely! The tartness of lemon and neroli is coming forward, and I’m detecting the jasmine. Very feminine. Happy, very summery. This is so pretty! Nice throw, too.

After half an hour or so it tries to go a little soapy. Sometimes that happens with jasmine on me. But it’s still pretty and cheerful. Then it seems like the melon comes back, and the threat of soapiness backs off.

Over an hour in, it’s deepened and mellowed, and I think I’m getting the effect of the incense and osmanthus. Now I can see why Fabienne calls it complex--it's revealing a whole other side of its personality.

Overall impression: this is a feminine, beautiful fragrance, perfect for summer. The notes are so well balanced that I think even those who are usually wary of jasmine will enjoy it greatly. I think this will be very popular!
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina »

I thought that I was not going to like this one. I should know that Fabienne is a magician.
In the bottle and at first on my skin I can only smell the tartness of the lemon and the neroli. After maybe 10 minutes I can detect the melon but it's not too fruity (I don't like overly fruity perfumes). The tartness disappears but the freshness remains. There is something sweet underneath (but not too sweet), maybe the jasmine.
It's a more complex perfume than it seems at first and I really like it. A perfect summer fragrance.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

This goes on me with a large dose of green melon and incense. The incense rises (by a lot) on me and almost makes this veer into scrubber territory. However, I DID slather this on today, so I made myself sit very still (and remind myself not to slather when I'm testing something lol). My patience was rewarded and this has dried down to a very lovely fragrance.

I still occasionally get whiffs of the green melon, although that is not the dominant note on me. The incense feels like a blend of dirty and clean (if that makes any sense) so there are layers in this keeping it from being linear. It also has dried down with a very creamy edge on my skin, making this pretty smooth despite the spiked edges of the incense. I'm not getting much of the jasmine (I was concerned about it going into soap on me), but every now and then I get an idea of white flowers (if that makes sense).

Every now and then I get a whiff of what comes across as almost bay rum without being bay rum, but it reminds me of that in tone.

This feels very comfortably suitable for male and female without solidly landing in either camp on my skin, but I could see how just the right edge would tip it over into one or the other.

I didn't expect to like this one as much as I do, but I really like how the notes blend and create the harmonious whole. The incense is lovely--in fact, this may be one of my favorite incense perfumes (labeled and listed as such) that I own.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent »

Mafia opens with a gentle florals and a light fruitness, which must be the melon. I am also picking up an olive oil scent, which is not in the note list. What happens next has my attention - an incense begins to emerge, but it is not like any if the (5 katrillion) ones I have...not church frank, nag champa, Indian temple...but rather it is closer to Vietnamese incense, but not an exact replica. It is gorgeous. The melon and florals flit in and out throughout. This is a complex scent. I wish I could ask Fabienne why she decided on this more Asian incense, as I would think a Roman Catholic church incense would be more appropriate for her Sicilian theme. This does not mean I think it doesn't fit in the perfume, as it is both gorgeous and unusual.