Myrtle of Venus

Sicily is awash in fragrances, some of the most famous are: lemon, blood orange, jasmine and bergamot, rosemary, myrtle, sage, basil, figs and cucumbers, coffee and pink pepper and sly violet. Possets plays with all those and brings in a few happy notes of our own to seduce your senses.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Myrtle of Venus

Post by Boudicca » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:00 pm

Possets description:
A tribute to Venus, goddess of love who is so abundant on Sicily that she is taken for granted. Myrtle is one of the plants which is associated with Venus, and you can smell is in the sun all over Sicily, especially among ancient Greek temple ruins. Peach, apricot, myrtle, grey (seafoamy) musk. Lyrical and beautiful, simple, pure and serene.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Myrtle of Venus

Post by Maya » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:45 am

This is hands down my sleeper scent of this series. It goes on heavy on the myrtle but immediately backs down to give way to the fruit. And this is not a super sugary fruity mouthful. No, this is soft, ripe, and delicately balanced with the myrtle. Beautiful and perfectly balanced in so many ways. Too many fruity perfumes go into candy territory. This does not. This is soft and lovely. Perfect for summer, but also perfect for those gray rainy days where you wish the sun would shine again. I really hope this one gets more love. It's absolutely delightful, and perfectly grown up without artificial distractions. The notes shine beautifully in their (seeming) simplicity, and blend so well that it feels like these notes should have always been together to create this oh so lovely perfume.

I suppose I don't need to say it but I'm going to anyway: I love this. Love. This. I feel softer, happier, quietly and beautifully female while wearing it. It's delightful.

Edited to add that the fruit notes come across more like standing in an orchard heavy with fruit and the breeze is wafting across the field bringing the essence of fruit to you. It's never too heavy. Just soft and delicious.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:38 am

Adding more: the longer this is on my skin, the more I'm falling for it (which I didn't think was possible because I really liked it almost straight out of the bottle). I admit, the reason this didn't come home with me initially is because myrtle and I don't always see eye to eye. It tends to behave for about a minute, then veers into sour plant territory. But wow, WOW, it blends so beautifully here. The notes are just so perfect together.

I LOVE that this isn't a sweet/sugary fragrance. It has sweetness, but it's like a natural sweetness that comes from fruit. It's so cleanly uncomplicated by excess additions. The notes stand and speak for themselves in a quietly (but oddly commanding way). This is a fragrance that could easily be underestimated at first sniff, but it (and the person who wears it) is definitely one that has hidden depths and currents (and underestimating both comes at your peril). It's...words fail. I didn't expect to like this one as much as I do, but it is just so charming and fresh and warm and lovely without having to raise a single decibel to get the point across.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

cordelia blythe
mortal
mortal

Post by cordelia blythe » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:00 pm

That is a wonderful description Maya! I was a little hesitant about this one.It sounded like i might like it but frankly i'm not sure what myrtle smells like & i was worried about it being too fruity but you have allayed my fears & made it sound like a must have.I love how Fabienne's creations evoke such emotion & vivid imagery:)

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Ah Maya, you almost make me want this! But stone fruits in perfume are a deal-breaker for me, and the myrtle would have been what I was relying on. But it does sound amazing for people who like apricot and peach! I just loved hearing about it, since it's been so neglected. I personally think that there are a good couple of sleepers in this collection - a sleeper for everyone, really.

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Maya, that description is like a little holiday in itself!
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

Angewl
mortal
mortal

Post by Angewl » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:59 am

I wish that I could write a poetic review like Maya. > w o
But here are my :2cents: :
Myrtle of Venus is very simple on me. It smells about the same on my skin as it does in the bottle. I have no idea what myrtle smells like, but I believe that the musk tapers down the peach/apricot nicely. It isn't an overly sweet scent...however, it is fairly sweet to me and settles over time.
The best comparison I can give are these Japanese peach candies called Flower's Kiss and they're by Kasugai. I have some in my pantry right now actually. XD Yummy~